How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

Minimum bid to upgrade from an Inside to Deluxe Obstructed Balcony for our 12-night cruise was $265pp and I bid $275, accepted 31 days out. My TA was able to get our cabin switched to a different location in the same category.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, karylrocks said:

Minimum bid to upgrade from an Inside to Deluxe Obstructed Balcony for our 12-night cruise was $265pp and I bid $275, accepted 31 days out. My TA was able to get our cabin switched to a different location in the same category.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot!!! And way to go TA that they could switch locations. Good to know that  as long as there is the same category available on another deck they can nail it for you. Pretty amazing that the award was given that far out!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

Do you recall the bid strength on the meter? What did you get?

Bid strength was strong. My daughter way overbid but an upgrade was important to her. Inside to obstructed balcony. Funny story, she then called to inquire about the cost of just traditional transfer to mini suite since there were many available. Princess rep told her they couldn’t quote because of the successful bid. Day before we left, received an e mail bid was cancelled and she was back in original cabin. Princess rep had filed a form that cancelled the bid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Not totally "yes."

For example, if you successfully bid into a full suite from a lower type cabin, you will not get the double Captain's Circle cruise credit.

Do you know this from personnel experience? Before the new bidding process, I have asked to be upgraded to a suite from a lower cabin and got the credits. Most recent was in Feb 2022. When you could still go to Passenger services desk and ask for an upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, pathi said:

Do you know this from personnel experience? Before the new bidding process, I have asked to be upgraded to a suite from a lower cabin and got the credits. Most recent was in Feb 2022. When you could still go to Passenger services desk and ask for an upgrade. 

I think ASKING is different from bidding...

38 minutes ago, pathi said:

Thanks for this information....but wondering if you could explain a bit more in detail. I have not heard about going to the Passenger Services Desk and asking for an upgrade. Is that while you're on board for one cruise and want to be upgraded for a future cruise? In the upgrade, were you basically re-faring it from one category to another and you paid the difference? How does it work?

1 hour ago, pathi said:

Here is the official answer from the Princess website bidding FAQs: 

Screenshot 2023-04-09 10.34.20 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Thanks for this information....but wondering if you could explain a bit more in detail. I have not heard about going to the Passenger Services Desk and asking for an upgrade. Is that while you're on board for one cruise and want to be upgraded for a future cruise? In the upgrade, were you basically re-faring it from one category to another and you paid the difference? How does it work?

Right after the covid shutdown ships were sailing at 50% capacity. You could ask at passenger services and they would give you a list of available cabins then give you a flat price to upgrade. I got a balcony to full suite upgrade for 500$. Of course none of this is available anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On March cruise there was a line of people at customer service at embark requesting to upgrade( for fee) Cruise was sold out but they had a wait list started and said people would be contacted after sailing if there were any no shows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pathi said:

Right after the covid shutdown ships were sailing at 50% capacity. You could ask at passenger services and they would give you a list of available cabins then give you a flat price to upgrade. I got a balcony to full suite upgrade for 500$. Of course none of this is available anymore.

Thanks for that information....and even greater thanks that we're back to sailing again at full capacity!! Keep safe!!!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:27 PM, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

Anyone who has had a bid accepted can you give me the timeline?  Put in a bid for July cruise! 

From Princess website and their "Frequently Asked Questions" about the bidding program:

image.thumb.png.88940b8d7cd9d6cbd0ad78d6a6a333e5.png

36 minutes ago, tipofthehook said:

May 1-6/23 five day Alaska Sampler Vancouver return. We are currently booked in a Window Suite on the Grand. Vista Suite for $2158 CAD is the only category higher showing availability now. Vista Suite minimum bid is $340.

Here’s the upgrade offer:

Upgrade TypeYour Offer(s)Offer Strength

Grand SuiteExperience More Comfort In common.offer.upgrade.type.SUITE_DELUXE_OWNERS: 

The Grand Suite features includes a fireplace and a large balcony with hot tub and teakwood furniture as well as a bedroom with a panoramic window, separate seating area with a sofa bed, spacious closet and bathroom with bathtub, separate shower and deluxe amenities. Enjoy exclusive suite-only upgrades and benefits.
  • Approximately 730 sq. ft. including balcony.
0 - Descriptive image of the benefits of upgrading your ticket

1 - Descriptive image of the benefits of upgrading your ticket
$ 0 CAD

No Offer$1,690

needle

Owner’s SuiteExperience More Comfort In common.offer.upgrade.type.SUITE_OWNERS: 

The Owner`s Suite features includes a large 180-square-foot balcony with teakwood furniture, as well as a separate seating area with a sofa bed, spacious closet and bathroom with bathtub, separate shower and deluxe amenities. Enjoy exclusive suite-only upgrades and benefits.
  • Approximately 591 sq. ft. including balcony.

$ 0 CAD

No Offer$1,475

needle

Penthouse Suite - Aft FacingExperience More Comfort In common.offer.upgrade.type.SUITE_1BEDROOM_LARGE: 

The Penthouse Suite features a large balcony with teakwood furniture, as well as a separate seating area with a sofa bed, spacious closet and bathroom with bathtub, separate shower and deluxe amenities. Enjoy exclusive suite-only upgrades and benefits.
  • Approximately 468 to 536 sq. ft. including balcony.

$ 0 CAD

No Offer$1,030

needle

Penthouse SuiteExperience More Comfort In common.offer.upgrade.type.SUITE_1BEDROOM: 

The Penthouse Suite features a large balcony with teakwood furniture, as well as a separate seating area with a sofa bed, spacious closet and bathroom with bathtub, separate shower and deluxe amenities. Enjoy exclusive suite-only upgrades and benefits.
  • Approximately 536 sq. ft. including balcony.

$ 0 CAD

No Offer$880

needle

Vista SuiteExperience More Comfort In Grand Suite - 2 Bedroom: 

The Vista Suite features includes a large 112-square-foot balcony with teakwood furniture, as well as a separate seating area with a sofa bed, spacious closet and bathroom, separate shower and deluxe amenities. Enjoy exclusive suite-only upgrades and benefits.
  • Approximately 484 to 527 sq. ft. including balcony.

$ 0 CAD

No Offer$765

needle

What are you going to do????  That Grand Suite experience sounds OVER THE TOP!!!  A fireplace??? And a jacuzzi??? Why would you ever need to leave the suite???? Oh....you're in Alaska....I guess there's that!!!

I have a question and I did read several pages to check to see if it had been answered before: I booked a B2B to Alaska on the Grand in September, 2/ 7 days. I did a mock booking to check availability and there are plenty of cabins available on each leg, not so many for the 14 days. If I bid will it be on the 14 day or can I bid on either end of the 7 days? It won't bother me to move if I can snag a balcony. I am booked in an inside and going solo.

2 hours ago, judithzuz said:

I have a question and I did read several pages to check to see if it had been answered before: I booked a B2B to Alaska on the Grand in September, 2/ 7 days. I did a mock booking to check availability and there are plenty of cabins available on each leg, not so many for the 14 days. If I bid will it be on the 14 day or can I bid on either end of the 7 days? It won't bother me to move if I can snag a balcony. I am booked in an inside and going solo.

If I understand how the program works, since you have two separate bookings you would be bidding for upgrades on each of the separate bookings.

I have the same situation on Grand Princess in Australia this October. I'm in a balcony B2B but will see how much it would cost to bid on a mini-suite or suite. It may be too expensive since as a solo traveler you're paying 200% per leg!! IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT, I wouldn't mind having to change staterooms if each leg couldn't be upgraded to the same room as I am currently booked B2B in the same stateroom.

From personal experience, we changed staterooms on a B2B aboard Sky Princess and the room stewards moved it all for us. We just needed to put items from the drawers and bathroom into our luggage and they moved that along with all the hanging clothes without having to pack those up for the room change!! It was very easy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

If I understand how the program works, since you have two separate bookings you would be bidding for upgrades on each of the separate bookings.

I actually have one booking number, but I know that it is being treated as a B2B as I will be earning 4 cruise credits as a solo. Bidding doesn't come online until June, but I will give it a try then. But my concern was just the lack of availability showing for the 14 day as opposed to the two 7 days.

Good luck to both of us!!

Edited by judithzuz
added info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, judithzuz said:

I actually have one booking number, but I know that it is being treated as a B2B as I will be earning 4 cruise credits as a solo. Bidding doesn't come online until June, but I will give it a try then. But my concern was just the lack of availability showing for the 14 day as opposed to the two 7 days.

Good luck to both of us!!

That's interesting...on mine in Princess Personalizer...and in the Travel Summary, they are two separate bookings....two separate booking numbers....for my B2B. However, in my MedallionApp they are treating it as one booking and receiving the 4 cruise credits.

I know on some of the Alaska cruises they offer them as two 7-day separate cruises or they also offer the exact same sailing as a 14-day. I always wondered why people would book the 14-day rather than the two 7-day cruises as a B2B in order to get the extra cruise credits. So, it is very interesting that you've booked this as a 14-day with only one booking number and yet they are giving you the 4 cruise credits!  I wonder how they will charge you if you win an upgrade bid...at 200% or 400%??

Please keep in touch and let us know how you fare.

Just now, HiCCCs said:

That's interesting...on mine in Princess Personalizer...and in the Travel Summary, they are two separate bookings....two separate booking numbers....for my B2B. However, in my MedallionApp they are treating it as one booking and receiving the 4 cruise credits.

I know on some of the Alaska cruises they offer them as two 7-day separate cruises or they also offer the exact same sailing as a 14-day. I always wondered why people would book the 14-day rather than the two 7-day cruises as a B2B in order to get the extra cruise credits. So, it is very interesting that you've booked this as a 14-day with only one booking number and yet they are giving you the 4 cruise credits!  I wonder how they will charge you if you win an upgrade bid...at 200% or 400%??

I was told on another thread that the 14 is treated as two 7 days if it is also bookable that way, even if you book it as 14. The advantage of booking it as 14 would be some savings on port charges, but as she points out the cabin selection is not as good for the 14 as they obviously have a lot of them allotted for the 7 day itineraries as well as the cruise tour combos in Alaska.

I think she will be bidding as a 14 day itinerary only. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Will do. I'll give the bid a try. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw so to speak. on my last two, I bid to upgrade and was a winner both times. On the Ruby for the Panama Canal, went from an inside to an Aft premium, first just a premium by bidding, then I went on chat to see if we could get changed to a wake view Aft as it was available. Sure!. On the Regal, we booked a week before sailing, inside guaranteed and bid for a balcony, and once again lucky. I'm just going to run this streak as long as it can. If it's a good price, I'll bid for both weeks in Alaska

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I was told on another thread that the 14 is treated as two 7 days if it is also bookable that way, even if you book it as 14. The advantage of booking it as 14 would be some savings on port charges, but as she points out the cabin selection is not as good for the 14 as they obviously have a lot of them allotted for the 7 day itineraries as well as the cruise tour combos in Alaska.

I think she will be bidding as a 14 day itinerary only. 

This is really helpful information. WOW!  I did not know that could be done this way. I also didn't realize they would limit cabin selection on the 14 day.  So many interesting factoids and features of the industry to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

5 hours ago, judithzuz said:

Will do. I'll give the bid a try. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw so to speak. on my last two, I bid to upgrade and was a winner both times. On the Ruby for the Panama Canal, went from an inside to an Aft premium, first just a premium by bidding, then I went on chat to see if we could get changed to a wake view Aft as it was available. Sure!. On the Regal, we booked a week before sailing, inside guaranteed and bid for a balcony, and once again lucky. I'm just going to run this streak as long as it can. If it's a good price, I'll bid for both weeks in Alaska

We're on an aft suite for Panama on Island Princess. How was the experience being in aft going through the Canal??? Any tips to share with another aft-resident for the Panama experience?

Someone asked if lowest bid amounts were ever changed by Princess and the answer is YES.  My email offering me to bid from our mini to club class was min $100pp & is now $120pp,  BUT the suite min bids went down $30pp (I compared all 5 options).  So they do change the bid offers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, HiCCCs said:

We're on an aft suite for Panama on Island Princess. How was the experience being in aft going through the Canal??? Any tips to share with another aft-resident for the Panama experience?

Well, it was smooth sailing until we we were coming into Cartagena, then leaving the next day. Woof! And I don't get seasick. We actually had to sleep sideways so my stomach could catch a rest. But other than that, I loved it. We had a huge balcony on the Ruby. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Nothing beats that wake view and the sunsets, Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 11:30 PM, karylrocks said:

Thank you for providing such specific and detailed information! This helped a great deal in how we approached bidding on our own upgrade--you rock!!

On 4/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, HiCCCs said:

We did an aft balcony last year for our Panama cruise.  We loved being able to retreat to our balcony out of the sun.  It was a very warm, humid day so being able to go back inside and still see the transit of the canal on both sides even though it was on the back was ideal.  We started on the front of the ship as we approached the canal early in the morning and later in the day went down to the Promenade to get another viewpoint also. 

• Thanks 1