How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

4 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

Going on Ruby Princess on a 16 day to Hawaii.

Currently have a regular balcony on deck 14.

The cost to upgrade to mini suite will more than double our fare.

the bidding opens in a few days and have checked on the available cabins.

There are many available and all on deck 9.

I am aware that if a bid is accepted I will be stuck with the one given.

It looks like deck 9 is the only deck with availability.

Does that mean that we would not be given a different deck ?

Dolphin deck is the minis and you are correct if they accept your bid it is final.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

Going on Ruby Princess on a 16 day to Hawaii.

Currently have a regular balcony on deck 14.

The cost to upgrade to mini suite will more than double our fare.

the bidding opens in a few days and have checked on the available cabins.

There are many available and all on deck 9.

I am aware that if a bid is accepted I will be stuck with the one given.

It looks like deck 9 is the only deck with availability.

Does that mean that we would not be given a different deck ?

If your bid is accepted, you are not necessarily “stuck” with the one given. Once it’s assigned check the availability and if there is another one you prefer in the same category, call Princess and they will change it for you. I’ve done this through Princess and my PCC. Keep it simple when calling Princess. Just say you want to switch your cabin and let them know which one you want. Don’t  say anything about bids, upgrades, etc. The call centre staff are very inexperienced now and this will just confuse them. 
Most minisuites on Ruby Princess are on deck 9, with a few aft on Deck 8 also as far as I know, so you won’t be any higher than that. Some people prefer deck 8 as they have partial coverage.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

If your bid is accepted, you are not necessarily “stuck” with the one given. Once it’s assigned check the availability and if there is another one you prefer in the same category, call Princess and they will change it for you. I’ve done this through Princess and my PCC. Keep it simple when calling Princess. Just say you want to switch your cabin and let them know which one you want. Don’t  say anything about bids, upgrades, etc. The call centre staff are very inexperienced now and this will just confuse them. 
Most minisuites on Ruby Princess are on deck 9, with a few aft on Deck 8 also as far as I know, so you won’t be any higher than that. Some people prefer deck 8 as they have partial coverage.

Ty good to know!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

On 1/17/2024 at 12:32 PM, Upper Bob said:

First time using the bidding program and was not expecting anything to happen, as both legs of our BTB on the Sky have been shown as completely sold out for the last several weeks (as are the other sailings on either end). Placed bids back in mid-November just above the minimum for an upgrade from Reserve Collection Mini (M6) to three different suite classes (S4, S5, S6). Just notified today (24 days out) that our bid was accepted for a Premium Suite (S5). Very happy travelers now and we had that exact category last November for a TA on the Enchanted and really enjoyed the cabin. As someone mentioned earlier, just because a sailing is sold out doesn't mean there will not be late cancellations or shuffling of cabins.

Nice upgrade!  Enjoy 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:07 PM, kodidog said:

Karma....did you get confirmation that your bid was accepted?  Are have you been moved?

Not yet..still got fingers crossed! 
(we’ve bid for a different room on every cruise we’ve had a chance to; and every one of them never got a “your bid wasn’t accepted” officially..but we’ve never won a bid)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:37 PM, Cruisintimer said:

Our cruise coming up really soon has said sold old for awhile but was able to submit one bid on a mini that they countered on and just submitted a new bid a couple days ago.  Apparently being sold out doesn't really mean sold out when it comes to bidding?  

Sold out doesn't mean all cabins are sold, it means they have reached passenger capacity for the cruise.  There are always some empty cabins as they need some availability for moving people in case of a problem with a cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 3:17 PM, happiness is cruising said:

Just google the deck plan for the ship..you can see each deck and where the suites are..doesn’t show availability..just the deck plan!!

You can also visit cruisedeckplans.com.  it is an excellent source of information--videos and pictures of various cabins.  It is my go-to site for cruise cabin information. 

• Thanks 1

I have a question and I can't find an answer, I'm hoping someone can help.

Bidding opened up for my cruise in Apr. I signed into my account and placed a bid. It listed "travelers", when I got to the submit bid page, it then listed the other person as the main person on the bid. I entered my email, name and credit card info anyways, as I am the other listed traveler. The confirmation bid email came to me, "Hi, (other name)" and so on.

Will the bid still be processed if he is, I guess listed as the "main" traveler?

Basically his name on the "bill/ order", my name on the credit card info.

Just wondering if it's fine or we should cancel and have him enter his card.

Thanks

On 1/19/2024 at 11:14 PM, KarmaCruisers said:

Not yet..still got fingers crossed! 
(we’ve bid for a different room on every cruise we’ve had a chance to; and every one of them never got a “your bid wasn’t accepted” officially..but we’ve never won a bid)

WOW...so them offering a COUNTER BID (their $ amount) and you accepting, is not  a guarantee of actually getting the upgrade.  Very confusing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puggy13 said:

I have a question and I can't find an answer, I'm hoping someone can help.

Bidding opened up for my cruise in Apr. I signed into my account and placed a bid. It listed "travelers", when I got to the submit bid page, it then listed the other person as the main person on the bid. I entered my email, name and credit card info anyways, as I am the other listed traveler. The confirmation bid email came to me, "Hi, (other name)" and so on.

Will the bid still be processed if he is, I guess listed as the "main" traveler?

Basically his name on the "bill/ order", my name on the credit card info.

Just wondering if it's fine or we should cancel and have him enter his card.

Thanks

I suspect both names are on the cruise  confirmation and either can submit the upgrade request for the cabins.  As long as a valid credit card is used to submit the upgrade request, it really won't matter if it's from guest one or two. 

I wish you good luck on securing an upgrade to your category of choice.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

If your bib was excepted, How soon prior to your cruise were you notified?  The bidding site says it can be as little as 2 days. 

Thanks!

Tom🤔

I have bid twice in the past and had both accepted. On the first (Standard Balcony to Club Class Mini) I bid on several categories and entered a low bid for each at first and heard nothing. After about a week, I modified my bid to be more toward the mid to high range for the Club Class mini because I REALLY wanted that one and decreased my other bids. Once I changed it, I got notified that I won the bid within one day. On the second (Interior to Balcony) I didn't get notified until about a week before the cruise and had assumed I just didn't get it. Especially because the cruise appeared very full. It was an Alaska cruise so getting a Balcony was a HUGE win. But both of these were cruises I booked less than a month before sailing so I have not yet experienced what the wait is like if you bid as soon as the bidding window opens.

I actually JUST bid this morning for our next cruise. It's a short one (3 days) so bidding opened today, 70 days out. I got the email overnight and bid this morning. I'll let you know how long it takes to hear back. 🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, happiness is cruising said:

You gave them you credit card!!! They will charge it..when you receive a bid 

I haven't given them anything!!!

I'm assuming they will ask for a credit when placing a bid?

Obviously, I am not familiar with the process, that's why I asked.

4 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

I haven't given them anything!!!

I'm assuming they will ask for a credit when placing a bid?

Obviously, I am not familiar with the process, that's why I asked.

When you place the bid you do give them card information. It doesn't have to be the card you used for final payment. And they will charge your card automatically once any bid is accepted. So make sure that whatever card you use will have enough available balance at all times between when you place the bid and basically one day before the cruise. When I bid, I consider whatever my highest bid amount was as money already spent unless and until I get notified my bids were rejected.