Best & Worst Packing Tips

Chipster2

The idea has been appropriated from another, but since I am shameless and very interested to see what NCL cruisers have to say....here goes!:D

What are the best and worst packing tips you have recieved?

Best packing tip, travel light!

With resort casual attire always appropriate, leave the business suit, evening gowns, and dress shoes at home............

My aching back feels better just writing that.

I usually only have to pack one "airline regulation" carry-on size bag.

Best packing tip: Use 2.5 gallon zip lock bags to pack your clothes. Fold them neatly, put them in the bag, squish the air our and zip. Keeps everything neat, removing the air reduces the wrinkles, and if TSA goes through your luggage no one touches your "stuff" just the bags. Also helps if your luggage gets exposed to rain.

Worst: over packing. Unfortunately I am prone to this. Everytime I try to decrease what I bring, but somehow fail.

Happy cruising, Kathy

I found that I packed badly on my last cruise. I wear more casual clothes (jeans and shorts) on vacation and found with NCL I should have brought more 'business casual' for the dining.

I always bring too many shoes too

I always pack half of my clothes in one suitcase with half of my husbands. The other half goes in another suitcase. That way if one of the bags is lost, we would each have at least half of our clothes and shoes.

We've started packing some bubble wrap, as we always seem to wind up buying breakable souvenirs. It has reduced the anxiety level considerably. It doesn't take up much room, and doesn't impact your 50/lb a bag weight limit.

If you're in an inside stateroom, a night light is VERY handy.

We also pack a fairly sturdy folder for the daily bulletins, bar menus, etc. that we bring home for scrapbooking. It also helps protect the photos purchased onboard from getting "sqmisshed" on the way home.

Cruiser#5--there is no such thing as "too many shoes." :D

Happy Sailing, Carla

Best packing tip was from this forum- the over the door toiletry case, duct tape and power strip. Wound up duct taping power strip to floor b/c the steward would unplug it :(.

I would also suggest a night light and travel clock.

Now what I was always told by my late grandmother who traveled extensively was to gather all your clothing 10 days prior to leaving. Look and make sure that is what you want to take. then when your ready to really pack ditch out 25% and you will be fine. Shoes for women: walking shoes, beach or water shoes, dress shoes. 1 light jacket or sweater.

worst packing tip: someone told me to pack 3 outfits a day for women and 2 outfits a day for a man. and that a 7 day trip requires at least 4 bathing suits. Hahahaha that was way over packing.

On the Crown last year we wore our bathing suits (if swimming) under our shorts until dinner then changed for dinner. I would say I didn't change back after dinner usually but my husband and the kids did(2 teenagers age 17 and 18).

Apparently everyone overpacks.

Have fun.

Linda:cool:

I pack an air fresher, extension cord or power strip, highlighters and post it notes, I've used these the most. And as many have already said not forget the ziplock bags.

Oh, learned the expensive way pack extra batteries or a charger.

Best advise: pack a marker and lots of mix and match clothes. I can't say we get by with one roll on bag, but we are getting better all the time. Shoes: I take 3 pair including the ones I wear on the plane: tennis shoes, sandles, maybe a second pair and whatever else I am wearing. That's it!! Freestyle I love you. The over the door thingy, I have never understood the need for that; maybe I just don't bring as much personal type of stuff:

Worst advise: I don't think I have ever had any; I did see one suggestion that I thought was funny, at least to me: go to your local thrift store; buy t shirts, short etc and just toss them as you wear them. You won't have nearly as much to bring home and will have room for the souveniors. (spelling) Sorry, I just can't quite do that. Part of the fun of cruising or any vacation is getting a few new clothes (not from yard sales) dressing up (still casual mind you) each morning and just feeling good about the way you look. NMnita

How much and what do you bring to all fit in a carry on? How long is your cruise? Do you send your clothes out to be dry cleaned or washed during the cruise?

I've always taken 7 day cruises so far. As for clothing,

6 pairs of socks, 6 boxers, 6 knit shirts, 2 pairs of slacks for dinner, 3 pairs of jeans or shorts, and 1 coat if it isn't raining.

I also pack my small digital camera, small travel clock, electric razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, comb, deodorant and medications.

Believe it or not, it will all easily fit in one carry on bag.

I will be wearing on me when I board the ship the one pair of shoes and ballcap I will need, a boxer, a t-shirt, another pair of slacks and socks, all the papers I will need, two packs of cigarettes one already in use, and a coat if it is raining.

I hang my shirts on hangers, socks and underwear into one drawer, slacks. shorts, and jeans into another. The bath stuff will be in a smaller bag that was inside the other bag. It's placed near the sink in the bathroom.

I will immediatley buy a carton of cigarettes as soon as the duty free store opens, buy the soda card, and I'm set for the entire cruise with NCL.

Book either a GV or an OS so you don't have to pack/smuggle booze in your carry-on. That really cuts down on the weight.

But seriously, pack as light as you can. You'll still probably have more than you need.

The stupidest tip I ever heard was to pack one of those over-the-door shoe bags. C'mon. But the wife kinda took to the idea. We hit the dollar store and picked up one that was about the thickness of a wall calendar. I figured I'd better humor her. Hey, she was right. We filled it up with all those odds n ends that I always loose track of - asprin, shaving cream, razor, hair brush (wife's, not much use to me) - and everything was suddenly real handy. At the end of the cruise it went into the trash. It was only a buck and I'd never have gotten it all folded back up.

Steve

I used the over-the-door shoe thing for the first time. It was great. Mine has clear plastic pouches, so you can see what's in there and kept things from being scattered around.

I try to pack light, but am not always successful. Next time, I intend to really do it. We came back with several things we had never worn. I washed clothes on the second day of the second cruise.

6 pairs of socks, 6 boxers, 6 knit shirts, 2 pairs of slacks for dinner, 3 pairs of jeans or shorts, and 1 coat if it isn't raining.

I also pack my small digital camera, small travel clock, electric razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, comb, deodorant and medications.

OK, but what do you do about shoes? Dont you need evening (dinner etc) shoes and sneakers? And possibly sandals or flip flops? Our last cruise (11 days) 2 men, the shoes alone took an entire carry on sized bag. We wore sneaks, and took, 2 flip flops, 2 formal (tux)shoes, and brown shoes. That is four pair each...

Cannot understand packing lightly............

~Intrepid

Electricron - how many bags does the Mrs. take? Obviously, to me, there is a lot of other stuff to take for a week that you did not mention???

Picture it... Electricron with his one little bag, Mrs. Electricron with 7 large bags, pulling everything else along.... :D

~Intrepid

Haha don't leave this stuff on the floor. Nothing worse than trying to be quiet for those middle of the night nature calls and stepping on this stuff! Enough ruckus to wake up half a dozen cabins. Been there, done that. :D

Cheers,

Norman

Cut back on the shoes, make sure all oufits go with a single color (for me black). I pack 1 pair of comfortable dinner sandals (black), 1 pair of comfortable sandals (to use on deck, at beach, as slippers, etc) and wear sneakers (use for touring, heavy walking, too). I think DH takes more shoes than I do, now ...:(

When we went on our 1st Feb. cruise (out of NYC), I had closed shoes (dressy&casual), sandals(dressy&casual), sneakers, mules, wore low boots, etc. ... way too much and noticed many women wore sandals the first night to dinner anyway (NYC in Feb... yes). If shoes make you happy, take them but they add so much weight and bulk to the luggage.

The beauty of NCL is the optional formal, and resort casual every night which really cuts back on a lot of clothes.

Archived