Evening dress code (men)

Piaa

Such a quiet forum right now so thought I thought I would post a question to see if anyone is out there 😀

So we just booked our 3rd SD cruise for March for my big birthday (Caribbean) and I now know on the SD website it states "no shorts" for men for dinner but as most (if not all) dinners are served on deck outside in the heat, and after looking through the photos from our last two cruises, I know hubby wore a polo and nice shorts to dinner (probably not every night but I see some nights for sure in the photos) so asking was he the only one ???   I know just how hot Caribbean evenings can be and I don't remember him being out of place or looking disrespectful in his appearance, so either some of the other guests also wore shorts or no-one noticed or if they did they didn't care.  

I can't imagine anyone asking him to change as SD is such a great atmosphere and all guests we encountered (for the most part) weren't snobs - well one couple tried to put on some fake airs and graces that I just can't be bothered with - so my question is, have any of you other gentlemen ever "broken the rules" ?  (to be honest I don't think I even read the dress code before it's just I'm laying here bored with my foot in a cast, so thought I would dream for March and read the SD website haha)

Thanks everyone 

Piaa, I'm so sorry you are suffering. I hope that your broken foot heals quickly and perfectly.

I don't recall whether my husband has ever worn shorts to dinner on deck. Maybe he'll pop in and answer that. As you say, I can't imagine SD ever asking anyone to change for dinner on deck. And I think you're correct that no one would notice or care, as proven by the fact that I can't recall. However, I have seen throughout the years (not often) passengers being denied entrance to the dining room because of dress codes. But I think in these cases it was pretty egregious in order for that to happen. 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, Zimmy said:

Piaa, I'm so sorry you are suffering. I hope that your broken foot heals quickly and perfectly.

I don't recall whether my husband has ever worn shorts to dinner on deck. Maybe he'll pop in and answer that. As you say, I can't imagine SD ever asking anyone to change for dinner on deck. And I think you're correct that no one would notice or care, as proven by the fact that I can't recall. However, I have seen throughout the years (not often) passengers being denied entrance to the dining room because of dress codes. But I think in these cases it was pretty egregious in order for that to happen. 

Thank you so much for the good wishes and thanks for answering - hubby will be happy he didn't beak any rules (I know he wore long pants in the dining room but I think we only have ever eaten in there once) 

As you are now well aware, it is a "yes" for al fresco dining. 

I too am bored and dreaming of our December cruise (last was 2/2020) and just reserved our pre-cruise Puerto Rico hotel.  Am hoping and praying this one is a go (as our last one wasn't). AA has changed flights twice so far. 

• Like 1

We also had our flight to SJU changed several times.  Original was a fairly reasonable non-stop.  Then it was routed through MIA, which is really unacceptable.  We changed to a non-stop that arrives at 5:00 am.  Then AA changed it to arrive around midnight.  At least we will get to sleep in the room that we will be paying for.

And to respond to Zimmy, yes, I will wear shorts to dinner.  Anytime a Chicagoan can wear shorts in January, you go for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrapperZimmy said:

We also had our flight to SJU changed several times.  Original was a fairly reasonable non-stop.  Then it was routed through MIA, which is really unacceptable.  We changed to a non-stop that arrives at 5:00 am.  Then AA changed it to arrive around midnight.  At least we will get to sleep in the room that we will be paying for.

And to respond to Zimmy, yes, I will wear shorts to dinner.  Anytime a Chicagoan can wear shorts in January, you go for it.

Thanks for your reply TrapperZimmy.

OK - not to scare anyone but... AA have been horrible recently on St Thomas (I know not the same but close enough being only 40 miles away) - cancelled flights, multiple changes to booked reservations (changing arrival/departure times), delays, etc .. waaay more than any other line on STT..  so all I would say is make sure you have some "buffer time" built in before boarding.

• 2 months later...

We're on SDII out of Marigot on Feb 18 for our 20th anniversary.  First time on SD, cannot wait!  My husband was slightly dismayed to learn of the no shorts rule for the dining room.  I know we can eat on the deck, but I really think the dining room will be nicer and easier to meet people.  Is it really that warm after dark that he'd be uncomfortable?  Would khakis or Dockers and a nice polo shirt would be sufficient?  I'm expecting to wear somewhat casual summer dresses.  Hope that will work.

2 hours ago, Shaken_Bake said:

We're on SDII out of Marigot on Feb 18 for our 20th anniversary.  First time on SD, cannot wait!  My husband was slightly dismayed to learn of the no shorts rule for the dining room.  I know we can eat on the deck, but I really think the dining room will be nicer and easier to meet people.  Is it really that warm after dark that he'd be uncomfortable?  Would khakis or Dockers and a nice polo shirt would be sufficient?  I'm expecting to wear somewhat casual summer dresses.  Hope that will work.

Thats what hubby wears in the dining room 

While the menu is going to be the same whether you are dining on deck or in the dining room, there are different vibes.  Upstairs, the waiters are wearing black t-shirts and it is a much more casual atmosphere.  In the dining room, everything is more formal (at least to the extent that SeaDream is formal).  Waiters are more dressed up and it is more like eating in a fine restaurant.  That doesn't mean a jacket and tie, but nobody would look askance if that is they way you dressed.  I may wear freshly pressed Dockers for dinner, but I'd dress them up with a nice looking button-up shirt.  Part of the experience is what you bring to it.

• Like 1

Hubs never wore shorts, but I recall some men in some very nice, "dressy" shorts and no issue.  He did, however, forget to change shoes one time and had on flip flops (with pants) and they asked him to go change shoes.  Another time, different trip, he had done a late workout and was in the hot tub (aft deck as this was before the renovated forward deck tubs) and he and others were told that it was cocktail hour time and so they needed to leave the pool, dress code, etc.  It was never an issue..but just something that did happen. 🙂

• 1 month later...

You misunderstand the dining.  It isn't 2 options every night.  Normally the 1st night is in the dining room and from then it depends on the weather. For the 10 course degustation menu it is also in the dining room. Shorts are allowed for the outside dining,  though usually something nice, not t-shirt and cargo shorts. Dockers and polo are OK, more will be wearing short or long-sleeved shirts. The dining room is also quite cold.

• 2 weeks later...

We regularly eat every dinner on deck unless we are advised that the weather is not conducive.  When dinner is served for everyone on deck, the cocktail party is usually also at the pool deck.  I always wear long slacks (Dockers) for dinner, but I imagine nice shorts would be acceptable on those nights.  When dinner is being served in the dining room, the cocktail party is in the lounge.  At the beginning of our most recent cruise, a few young men arrived at the lounge in shorts and t-shirts and were sent back to change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1