Chef's Table

Steve&Karen

2 hours ago, awsdrew said:

For one Chef's Table, one of our friends notified them of a dairy allergy and he was subsequently denied entry. Indeed, there's a lot of cream, butter, and cheese that goes into the dishes, so keep that in mind if lactose is a concern. 

The accommodation of food allergies or other dietary restrictions seems to be at the discretion of the Executive Chef.  We have attended two Chef's Table events,  For the first one, each of us had to sign an affidavit averring that we had no food allergies.  For the second one we were never asked.

I have seen many reports here on Cruise Critic, where allergies or other dietary requirements have been accommodated,  However, as @awsdrew has indicated, that is not always the case.

My advice to anybody who is interested in the Chef's Table is to go ahead and request seats.  However, if you are selected, be very honest about any dietary restrictions that you have.  If you indicate that you have no such requirements, and, then, sit down at the table and complain that you can't tolerate shellfish, then everybody at the table will know that you are a liar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

So no one flame me for this generalization but here is my opinion.  It depends. 

If your usual land restaurants are places like Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden and Applebee's you will think the Chef's Table is the greatest meal of your life. 

If your usual land restaurants are places at a higher level than those I mentioned above you will be disappointed.

We've done it once, would not do it again.  And yes, people at the table were raving about the meal being the best they have ever had. 

Here it comes. Phil.

My objection to your post is not so much your criticism of the cuisine of the Chef's Table, but, rather, the condescension in your criticism.

It appears that your complaint is that the Chef's Table experience is not equivalent to a dinner at a  Thomas Keller restaurant.  Nobody will argue that point.  However, Princess passengers do not have the option of that level of dining.  (There used to be a venue called SHARE on some ships which did offer a dining experience that was a significant level above other shipboard venues, but SHARE was roundly criticized here on Cruise Critic.)  The Chef's Table does offer a terrific experience in which passengers are pampered by senior back of the house and front of the house managers, and they do get an excellent meal which is a notably superior to the standard dining room experience.

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, sonomaphil said:

So no one flame me for this generalization but here is my opinion.  It depends. 

If your usual land restaurants are places like Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden and Applebee's you will think the Chef's Table is the greatest meal of your life. 

If your usual land restaurants are places at a higher level than those I mentioned above you will be disappointed.

We've done it once, would not do it again.  And yes, people at the table were raving about the meal being the best they have ever had. 

I needed to hear exactly this. Thanks!!

On 9/8/2022 at 4:40 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I can vouch for the Winemaker's Dinner!!  Have done it twice now.  EXCELLENT.  I have never done the Chef's Table so I really can't speak to that...but after experiencing the Winemaker's Dinner I can't imagine that it would be that much better as to command over twice the price.

I've read several posts about the Winemaker's Dinner, and a price of $40. I Googled it and Princess shows the price to be $140 pp. Did it go up that much or is the price flexible per cruise?

4 hours ago, Teechur said:

I've read several posts about the Winemaker's Dinner, and a price of $40. I Googled it and Princess shows the price to be $140 pp. Did it go up that much or is the price flexible per cruise?

What you found is what is bring promoted as the "new" winemaker's dinner in the Crown Grill..

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/04/princess-cruises-announces-new-winemaker-dinner-with-caymus-vineyards.html

I have no idea if the "old" winemaker's dinner is still being offered.

The press release said: "Princess first introduced its popular Winemaker’s Dinner in a private space inspired by a wine cellar in the dining rooms onboard Royal Princess in 2013."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Teechur said:

10 hours ago, caribill said:

What you found is what is bring promoted as the "new" winemaker's dinner in the Crown Grill..

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/04/princess-cruises-announces-new-winemaker-dinner-with-caymus-vineyards.html

I have no idea if the "old" winemaker's dinner is still being offered.

The press release said: "Princess first introduced its popular Winemaker’s Dinner in a private space inspired by a wine cellar in the dining rooms onboard Royal Princess in 2013."

To amplify @caribill's reply a bit, the "new" offering is called the "Caymus Winemaker's Dinner. This is a five course dinner paired with five wines from the Wagner Family of wines and will be offered in the Crown Grill specialty restaurant.  This new offering will be rolled out to all the Princess ships/  As you know, the announced price for this new offering is $140 per person.

The announcement of the Caymus Winemaker's Dinner was not well-received, at all, here on Cruise Critic.  I think I was the lone poster who thought that the menu looks very attractive.  I had to agree with the consensus that the wine selections are not terribly impressive.

The "old" Winemaker's Dinner for $40 per person is available only on Royal Class ships and is offered in a special area in one of the dining rooms.  It, too, features a multicourse meal paired but with wines from a single brand.  Most recently, I have read about one featuring the Silverado Winery, and in the past I can recall reading about M by Mondavi being featured.  I have never attended on of these events.  However, from reports that I have read here on Cruise Critic, the menu does not seem as grand as the new offering in the Crown Grill, but there is no doubt in my mind that the modest price makes this a very worthwhile event.  As @caribill states, it is not clear whether this version of a Winemaker's Dinner will continue once the Caymus Winemaker's Dinner is rolled out.

• Like 2

From a "marketing" viewpoint...I would expect that the "old" WD would not continue.  I really hope that's not the case...it would be another example of Princess not being able to "read the room"!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie