1996 Scandinavian Mirco Systems?

planefring1

6 hours ago, planefring1 said:

I noticed the navigation channel on the Joy looked kind of outdated.  Then on the map screen the bottom reads

1996 Scandinavian Mirco Systems. Are they really using 25 yo technology or is that a typo?

Could be the year of first release, doesn't mean it hasn't been updated since.  
I know for a fact that at least one of the most common airliner's flight management system has a 1980s date of first release.  So 1996 doesn't seem all that unusual to me.  

Some people might be very surprised at just how old some of the most critical software systems in use today really are.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, planefring1 said:

Are they really using 25 yo technology or is that a typo?

Unfortunately they are really using an old outdated system on a somewhat new ship . other cruise lines have a much nicer better looking map channel compare to what NCL uses

That may be when the map itself was created, the technology to 'draw' the ship's path isn't likely that old.

Have they at least fixed the display to show the proper measurements?  I noticed on my cruise in March that the wave height portion had the units hard-coded but were also being fed in with the numbers, as a result a wave height of 1.5m actually looked like 1.5mm...

I did tell (and show) the CD about it, and he talked to someone that was going to look into it.

Edited by hallux