Japan beginning to open up from Covid shutdown

floridatravelersforlife

On Sept 7 , Japan relaxed its Covid entry restrictions, as a result of declining Omicron infections.  Does anyone have more insight into the new rules  I read  a Covid test is required, like the US prior to June.  I also learned from my TA that previously to Sept 7, a tourist had to travel under a total package (air, land transport, tour, return) by a travel company to enter the country.  

WE are booked on a Nautica cruise for Mar 23.  I am reluctant to book airfare, hotels, until further details are available. This is our fourth attempt  to visit Japan.

I don’t have the details in front of me, but there was an article on Points Guy that you could search for.  As far as I can determine, no cruise ship travel even under the revised relaxed rules. Our ATW has Japan on the itinerary for next year, so I am keeping fingers crossed that this is a sign that they will open to cruise ships over the next few months … even if they require bubble tours.

Here is some information:

https://japantoday.com/category/national/focus-japan-eases-covid-19-border-controls-but-tourist-surge-doubtful

You can only visit on a prearranged package tour purchased from an approved travel agency. You can't book a flight and fly in and stay in a hotel on your own. You need to get a visa and pay 3000 yen for it, a burdensome process. You have to be triple vaxxed or get a PCR test.

If I were you, I would not book airfare or hotels for a march 2023 trip to japan.