fellow cruisers,need advice

airlink diva

I'm currently booked on the Miracle (4/30/06-5/07/06). At the time, I booked a 1A room (great for sleeping). Now I realize that I want a balcony.

When I went check for upgrades, the pricing is quite steep (I'm traveling solo on this trip so I expect a slightly higher markup). What I'm trying to decide is to go ahead a pay for the upgrade now, or wait and check weekly on open rooms (I know that if a ship is not filling up that well that Carnival will run specials) to see if the upgrade cost goes down?

I can live without a balcony, but they are something that makes a cruise extra nice.

Help me out!!

Hmmmm I am a pretty new cruiser but the cost from a 1A to a balcony would be well over $1,000.00 dollars.

Me and wife just upgraded from a 6A to 8A Balcony and it cost another $550.00.

I vote stay with 1A and save your money.

I'm currently booked on the Miracle (4/30/06-5/07/06). At the time, I booked a 1A room (great for sleeping). Now I realize that I want a balcony.

When I went check for upgrades, the pricing is quite steep (I'm traveling solo on this trip so I expect a slightly higher markup). What I'm trying to decide is to go ahead a pay for the upgrade now, or wait and check weekly on open rooms (I know that if a ship is not filling up that well that Carnival will run specials) to see if the upgrade cost goes down?

I can live without a balcony, but they are something that makes a cruise extra nice.

Help me out!!

You gotta find someone to go with, on alot of lines, they just charge you for 2 persons. I've heard complaints about some lines actually putting a stranger in the room with you. Maybe you need to cancel and rethink this over, unless $$$ are not the problem.

I have cruised 3 times solo and after always booking inside cabins, I decided to splurge and treat myself to a balcony on my Liberty cruise back in January. Balconies are nice...unless the weather is bad...which it was. I should have saved my money...the difference would have been better spent on other things. I personally think that balconies are very over rated and a huge money maker for cruiselines.

You have to ask yourself if you are really going to use the balcony a lot on your own. For me, it is a great place to escape with my husband while my son is asleep in the room so it is very worth the extra money.

If you don't think you will be spending too much time on a balcony, then maybe upgrading to an ocenaview would be good. How about an oceanview guarantee?

Don't forget that you are going to pay the single supplement so double the advertised price. If you want to change why not go to an OV guar. I bet that traveling solo you won't use the balcony much anyway and the OV will get let you see out.

.....You gotta find someone to go with, on alot of lines, they just charge you for 2 persons.

On Carnival, that would be only if you choose anything above a 1A cabin. For 1A cabins, solo cruisers are charged the single supplement of 150%.

I've heard complaints about some lines actually putting a stranger in the room with you.

I can't imagine that happening! Unless you have some type prior arrangement (a share program?) - nobody will be put in your cabin. Folks cruise solo all the time - including me.

I like the 1A cabins with two portholes.:)

..... Folks cruise solo all the time - including me. [/b]

I like the 1A cabins with two portholes.:)

Be advised Cotton travels solo by choice. There are 1,000's of us that would jump at the chance to cruise with her!! ; )

When I cruised with my son, a cruise ago, we enjoyed the balcony. Lucky we had good weather, too.

However, when I cruise SOLO, which is almost always, I don't think I'd enjoy the balcony as much, much less want to pay the premium for a balcony and then the additional premium for traveling SOLO. Since balconies are so popular with couples I would GUESS it would be very difficult to find a "bargain" for single occupancy, so you'll most likely be slammed with the 200% penalty instead of a reduced penalty on a smaller inside cabin.

I can think of a zillion things to do on the ship with that "extra" money. :D But, its your money and if you think its worth the premium, DO IT. Life is short. :)

Thanks for the advice!! The cost factor to upgrade is around $500. I have the money, but I was hoping that if the ship don't fill up (there are still quite a few rooms left on this sailing) that I can snag one for around $300.

I'm not on a share program, so the room is strictly mine (only share when I go with family and friends and even then, I paid extra for my own room).

Frankly, I'm just happy to be on a ship and away from my job and enjoying myself.

Thanks!

Help me out!!

Hi Diva ;) ,

I am having the same issue, I bought an "inside guarantee" and want to upgrade to a balcony. The price was over $1,000 dollars, I am hoping (with fingers crossed) to get a deal on the sailing date that is a little more reasonable.:D

go to a TA, tell them your problem...one of the things that they do is check weekly for lower rates...everyone that does this them selves usually ends up missing out on the good rates. Good luck and have a great trip!

Archived