Vancouver Hotel...any recommendation:

gizmodog

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in for one night in Vancouver?

Close to the cruise terminal preferably.

Also, how do I go about making train reservations from Seattle to Vancouver?

Has anyone ever taken the bus?

Thanks for any help.

I agree, the Pan Pacific is our favorite place to stay. It is so nice, as you just take the elevator down, and you are at the port. I hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

We stayed at the Fairmont right across from the pier. I think is a tad less expensive the the Pan Pacific - every nice.

This was the hotel that HAL booked us in as part of a package post cruise deal.

On the same trip we also stayed at the Fairmont in the Vancouver airport also a very nice place to stay especially when you have an early flight out.

I vote for the Fairmont. It is a beautiful hotel. If you tell them you are going on a cruise, they will transfer your luggage across the street. The bell captain takes care of it. Also, if you are leaving your dog at home, they have a beautiful Black Lab which is available for guests of the hotel to walk( at least they did 2 years ago).

Shelley

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in for one night in Vancouver?

Close to the cruise terminal preferably.

Has anyone ever taken the bus?

Hello Gizmodog,

Last summer Mom and I did a HAL cruise out of Yancouver. We flew into Seattle because it was $300 less per person then flying into Yancouver. We caught a bus/shuttle right out of the Seattle airport called "Quick Coach". If I remember correctly it was around $40 one-way. After the airport we stopped in downtown Seattle to pick-up more people and then I think 1 or 2 other places. When we finally got to Canada they unloaded all the luggage, which we had to claim and bring into a customs building. We had to answer a few questions and when everyone was done they reloaded all the luggage and we were on our way. I think the "Quick" shuttle took over 4 hours. Would I do the shuttle again? No way. I would rent a car like we did on the way home. It's an easy drive and for 2 or more people it's about the same price as the not so "Quick" shuttle. :rolleyes:

As far as a Vancouver hotel I can only say don't stay at the Holiday Inn on Howe street. The rooms were small. Smaller than the ship.:eek: They lost our reservation. Not something you want to hear at 11pm after traveling all day.

Have a great trip. Alaska is so pretty.

CC

CC - can you tell me which rental company you used? For our 2007 Alaska cruise we are flying into Seattle as well... much cheaper. There will be 4 or 5 of us, so I'm thinking either rent a car, or see how much a limo would cost.

Thanks!

Vancouver has many very nice hotels. Our favorite is the Wedgewood. It is a small hotel that you will really enjoy. Also try the Pan Pacific, the Fairmont, and the Four Seasons. All are within a $5 cab ride from the pier. The Wedgewood is small, elegant and intimate -- it is very upscale but at a price that compares to the mega chains --- trust me -- try it and by next fall you will be recommending the Wedgewood on this board.

I live about 8 blocks from Canada Place where the ships dock. The Pan Pacific is right there at the dock and the Waterfront Hotel is across the street. It all depends on what you are planning to do the day you are in Vancouver. Here is the link to amtrak for the train www.amtrak.com . I believe it leaves in the evening. So you would have a few hours to maybe look around downtown or Gastown before heading to the train. You would have to take a taxi there or if you travel light, you can take the skytrain (our local transit system) and it would take you right there. Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

CC - can you tell me which rental company you used? For our 2007 Alaska cruise we are flying into Seattle as well... much cheaper. There will be 4 or 5 of us, so I'm thinking either rent a car, or see how much a limo would cost.

Thanks!

We used Alamo. They had a counter right in the cruise terminal in Vancouver. There wasn't even a one-way drop off charge. I had thought it would be a problem renting in Canada and returning in the USA but there wasn't. You could either do 2 one-way rentals or park the car in Canada Place during the cruise. I remember it being less than $100 for the 1 day one-way rental of a mid-size car.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!

CC

The Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront are the absolute closest you can get to Canada Place (and they're both very nice). The Westin Bayshore is also only a 10-minute walk away, and is still within sight of the ships.

If you check the Alaska board you'll find several threads about the Westin Bayshore being available on Priceline in the US$60-$80 range. The location isn't as convenient to the cruise pier as the Pan Pacific or Fairmont, being closer to Stanley Park, but the above price range should be a lot cheaper than the other two mentioned hotels. I've not stayed at the Westin Bayshore but it's rated as 4-star on Priceline and 4-diamond by AAA.

Perhaps someone who lives in Vancouver could offer their opinion on the Westin Bayshore?

Perhaps someone who lives in Vancouver could offer their opinion on the Westin Bayshore?

I haven't stayed there, but whenever my girlfriend and I walk down along Coal Harbor we always make a point of taking a detour through the hotel. Not quite as ritzy as the Fairmont, but still very nice.

Thanks!

If you fly to Seattle from NY the day before the cruise renting a car might be a good idea.

If you fly on the day of the cruise, be careful and watch your time. It is about a 3 hour drive and there could be a delay at the border. I have heard of 1.5 hours. The busses use a seperate crossing and they make their schedules. There is no problem with Amtrak.

I once heard of people who drove and missed the ship. It was not HAL, but I think ships only wait or fly passengers to the next port if they have bought their transfers from Seattle from the cruise line.

We are also flying into Seattle for Vancouver Cruise because our airfare was 1/2 the cost and we are taking the Amtrak at 7:45 A.M. This is about a 4 hour train ride. We booked our train ride into Vancouver and back to Seattle on the return (only could get their bus on the return) and paid around $180 for a family of 4 round trip. Hope this helps.

Kruz - THANKS!!! We are allowing 1 day pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise to travel. So depending on the flight schedule, depends on when we will drive. I'm not so sure DH will want to do the 3 hour drive after being on a 6 hour flight.

Mil - I'll have to look into Amtrak... although I'm not so sure how much DH or the kids will like a 4+ hour bus ride. I know he'll choose driving over a bus anyday!

I agree with the Pan Pacific as an excellent suggestion - it is right at Canada Place, so you can't get any closer to your ship than that! My view may be slightly skewed as we paid about $160 for a standard room (through Hotwire) and due to a convention were upgraded to a $3000/night suite - not half bad, I must say ;). You can even get a room that looks out over the famous white 'sails' so you can wake up and see your ship in the morning!

(For those who are wondering what exactly a $3000/night suite would look like, there are photos here: http://sarahandwill.smugmug.com/gallery/79542)

We've also stayed at the Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle, which is located just a couple of blocks from the terminal. Its a very nice hotel, catering more to business travellers, but the prices are quite reasonable compared to the Pan Pacific and it has excellent amenities (again, we got this hotel as a deal on Hotwire for about $70 or so).

Whatever you choose, enjoy your time in Vancouver and your cruise to Alaska :)

Vancouver has many very nice hotels. Our favorite is the Wedgewood. It is a small hotel that you will really enjoy. Also try the Pan Pacific, the Fairmont, and the Four Seasons. All are within a $5 cab ride from the pier. The Wedgewood is small, elegant and intimate -- it is very upscale but at a price that compares to the mega chains --- trust me -- try it and by next fall you will be recommending the Wedgewood on this board.

We are booked into the Wedgewood for three days before our cruise in September to the Amazon.

I have read up on all the hotels and this hotel seems to suit us best. It is not too large and has everything that we desire in a hotel.

Jennie

Archived