In port 8-5-Excursion to St.John or go ourselves?

Derbie

We have been to St. Thomas several times.  This time, I swore I am going to St. John.  So, we can do an on your own excursion for $49 pp through our cruise line (3 hours) or another option for $99 pp.  I think 3-4 hours doesn't seem like very long for an excursion.  From everything I have read, there is the time to get to the ferry and then hourly leave time, etc., absorbs quite a bit of the time.  Just wanting opinions on going ourselves or sucking it up and using our OBC for the excursion cost.  I guess it would give us time to wander around the town a bit, it we went the excursion.  So, I will await your expertise!

Thanks in advance!

The cruise lines change their excursions regularly and vary by cruise line, so you have to look at what both excursions include. They usually include all round trip transportation, entry fees, beverage (which may be just bottled water), snack, and a lounge chair. If you go on your own you pay for everything. The more expensive excursion may include a land tour of St John in addition to beach time. You will see some beautiful sites on the way to Trunk Bay, but the island tours usually pass spectacular views.

Your port time does give you plenty of time for a nice visit to St John if you are the type that is up early and quick off the ship. You could possibly make the 9 a.m. ferry from Red Hook. If you miss it, you'll spend time waiting for the next. Buy a round trip ferry ticket.

You would need to be on the 3 p.m. return ferry AT THE LATEST to make sure you're at the dock before 4:30, and that's if there's not an unpredictable delay. 

Can you tell I'm a detail person?😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, Ms411 said:

The cruise lines change their excursions regularly and vary by cruise line, so you have to look at what both excursions include. They usually include all round trip transportation, entry fees, beverage (which may be just bottled water), snack, and a lounge chair. If you go on your own you pay for everything. The more expensive excursion may include a land tour of St John in addition to beach time. You will see some beautiful sites on the way to Trunk Bay, but the island tours usually pass spectacular views.

Your port time does give you plenty of time for a nice visit to St John if you are the type that is up early and quick off the ship. You could possibly make the 9 a.m. ferry from Red Hook. If you miss it, you'll spend time waiting for the next. Buy a round trip ferry ticket.

You would need to be on the 3 p.m. return ferry AT THE LATEST to make sure you're at the dock before 4:30, and that's if there's not an unpredictable delay. 

Can you tell I'm a detail person?😊

I wanted to ask you what you would recommend at Trunk Beach?  This is where the tour drops us (from the description on the tour).  Any suggestions, are very much appreciated!  Details are great/ ;0)

Trunk is a beach within the National Park and is known for its underwater snorkel trail. No motorized water sports.

Since there's no hotel or resort on the property, there's no fancy restaurant-only a beach snack bar that also serves alcoholic drinks.

I don't see how that could be an On Your Own tour if they're taking you to Trunk. Sounds like an excursion to Trunk Bay to me.

The cruise line uses terms like that…

I would skip the OBC and really go on your own…Since you’ve already been to STT several times you have a good feel for how reliable the transportation is there. The ferries are ultra-reliable so there is no reason to settle for a ship-sponsored excursion, unless that OBC means that much to you.

Or unless you can use that OBC option to get there and enter Trunk Bay, and just return on your own??? I’d suggest spending some time in Cruz Bay for lunch and a nicer shopping experience…

Edited by blue_water
Added Cruz Bay suggestion

Info below from another thread, and as MS411 mentioned elsewhere taxi prices may go up but to give you an idea…

Taxi from Havensight —> Red Hook ferry = $10/pp (~$11/pp from Crown Bay);

Red Hook ferry <—> Cruz Bay = $8.15/pp each way, taxi to Trunk =$6/pp, Cinnamon = $7/pp.

You can also take a nice island tour as mentioned, and then get dropped at a beach for ~$25/pp. That also eliminates the taxi cost to a beach, you just pay the return taxi to Cruz.

So the total cost from Havensight to a beach on STJ is ~$50/pp, ~$68 w/ the island tour…From Crown Bay add ~$2…

I love that whenever I think of a question, it's already been asked and answered on here!

Saw an 'on you own' St John excursion listed on our upcoming cruise as well, It's around $50/pp and gets you a 'roundtrip private ferry transfer direct from the ship to Cruz Bay'. But, only 2 hours to explore on your own. Sound like with the ferry schedule, even if we're somehow delayed getting off the ship and/or play it safe by taking an earlier ferry back it sounds like we're better off actually doing it on our own. (In port 8a-6p)

But, we also haven't been to St. Thomas, so we could definitely stay put and explore there as well...decisions, decisions...

Imo you need about 4 hours on St John to enjoy it during a cruise stop. Most people go to Trunk Bay which is the closest beach by taxi to the dock and it maybe 20 minutes to get there by taxi (maybe less if you take ship's excursion to Trunk, because those taxis get there a little quicker) and 20 minutes return. There's not much to do near the St John dock except eat, drink, and shop and visit National Park visitor center. 

Yes many folks do miss what STT has to offer because they are focused on Trunk Bay and that is a shame. However I will say that a day on STJ can be very nice, IF you DIY, and do not just go straight to Trunk Bay. Trunk is beautiful, but we’d not spend the extra 1 - 1.5 hours of travel time just for a beach when STT offers beautiful beaches.

You’ve also read here of the North Shore/Historical tour the drivers offer, and that is something we’d recommend. After, you can get dropped at one of the less-frequented beaches, or near a hiking trail to a beach, or back in Cruz Bay.

Cruz Bay is a nicer shopping and lunch experience than Charlotte Amalie, in our opinion (but we’ve been to CA countless times so we are a bit biased). Stop into St John Bracelet Co. and buy a nice quality Hook bracelet! We’ve had one custom-made while lunching nearby…

With 10 hours in port, you can easily spend 3.5 - 4 hours on STJ, and still have a couple hours to see the highlights of STT from Skyline Drive and Drake’s Seat with a driver offering that on your return from Red Hook to the dock.

Just something to consider, enjoy your day wherever you land!

• Like 1

No. There are always taxi drivers at the St John dock that offer island tours. You can hire a driver for a private tour or you can wait until the taxi is full of other passengers and enjoy a public tour. Prices should be posted near the St John taxi stand.

Yes when you oars a safari taxi taking folks to the beaches, the driver will let you know you can stay on the bus if you are interested in the tour. He will give you the price adnd tell you how long it will last.
That includes the taxi fare you would have paid to get to the beach so the price is a good deal!

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2022 at 6:41 AM, blue_water said:

You’ve also read here of the North Shore/Historical tour the drivers offer, and that is something we’d recommend. After, you can get dropped at one of the less-frequented beaches, or near a hiking trail to a beach, or back in Cruz Bay.

Any specific hiking trails you'd recommend?

The Lind Point hiking trailhead is within walking distance of the St John people ferry dock. It's behind the NPS HQ bldg which is the big bldg to your left. It takes you to Honeymoon Beach which now rents expensive chairs and umbrellas and has food and drink. You can bring your own food and drink if you hike in. Not sure if the new concession at Honeymoon rents snorkel equipment, but you can rent it at Beach Bum which is upstairs by the St John ferry dock.