Bit of a blog - Ambience - Grand Canada Sept 2022

NorbertsNiece

WiFi playing games with me. Can now add text! 

TODAY is day 30 / 34 apologies for yesterday.... sea days got to me!

Thanks for following 😀

Went to Centre Court for a coffee and some quiet after ukelele class. They were vegetable carving!

Iceland tomorrow!

INTRODUCTION: Lying on the constantly active geologic border between North America

and Europe, Iceland is a land of vivid contrasts

of climate, geography, and culture. Sparkling

glaciers, such as Vatna Glacier (Vatnajökull),

Europe’s largest, lie across its ruggedly beautiful mountain ranges; abundant hot geysers

provide heat for many of the country’s homes

and buildings and allow for hothouse agriculture year-round; and the offshore Gulf

Stream provides a surprisingly mild climate for

what is one of the northernmost inhabited

places on the planet. Reykjavík, is the capital

and largest city of Iceland. It is located on the

Seltjarnar Peninsula, on Faxa Bay, in southwestern Iceland and is the northernmost capital in the world. Strikingly modern and clean in

appearance, the city is largely built of concrete

and is heated by hot water piped from nearby

hot springs. Its many public outdoor swimming

pools are also geothermal.

HISTORY: Iceland was founded more than

1,000 years ago during the Viking age of exploration and settled by a mixed Norse and

Celtic population. The name Reykjavík, means

“Bay of Smokes”. According to legend this is

reportedly because the first Viking settlers saw

steam from geothermal vents when they first

landed in Iceland

• Like 1

Geoff's excursion:

GEOTHERMAL LANDSCAPE & VIKING HISTORY

by coach & on foot

Iceland’s unique landscape has been shaped by great geothermal and volcanic activity over millions of years. This half-day experience takes you to some of the country’s geological wonders and includes a visit to a museum dedicated to the nation’s Viking history. Departing the port, your journey begins with a scenic drive through the lively port town of Hafnarfjordur which is situated on a picturesque ancient lava flow. Leaving the main road, continue along the shores of the enchanting Kleifarvatn Lake - one of the deepest lakes in Iceland. Your first stop will be a visit to Krysuvik, where the striking landscape has been shaped by volcanic eruptions and violent movements of the earth. Take a walk around the geothermal field where powerful jets of steam escape from deep below the earth’s crust and the multicoloured pools of boiling mud bubble and pop continuously. Your journey continues across the impressive volcanic plateau of the Reykjanes Peninsula, through the bustling fishing village of Grindavik and on to Njardvik for a visit to the Viking World Museum. The Viking Museum has a number of exhibitions about the Viking’s settlement in Iceland. Learn about the Vikings of the North Atlantic and see an exact seaworthy replica of a Viking vessel, Islendingur (the Icelander) that was discovered in Norway in 1182. Following your visit, re-join your coach for the return drive to Reykjavik.  

Please note

This experience involves approximately 1h of walking/standing including uneven ground, gravel pathways, wooden boardwalks and slight inclines. Some of this is at guests’ discretion but is required for full enjoyment. Flat, comfortable footwear and appropriate outdoor clothing is recommended. Guests must exercise caution at the sites visited, follow the guide’s instructions and not venture into roped off areas. Guests are advised to only use marked footpaths to protect sensitive nature. Coaches used in Iceland are usually larger than in other countries and may have high steps to board. The experience may operate in a different order.

I've been before. A couple of times to visit a daughter who was working there. I'm going to visit the Cathedral which was under scaffolding when I was there last and following my feet otherwise. Going to lunch at Saegriffin.

When I was there I dressed like this.... ok was winter lol.

Screenshot_20221011_092736.thumb.jpg.2743e081ab7d9f59d0a8a713b60ce14b.jpg

A shuttle is being provided. We were originally only there for a long afternoon / early evening.

20221011_113351.thumb.jpg.beeba859614dc99801a1ae35ef2e5f9d.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Helicopter evacuation of a sick guest imminent. Upper decks closed off to guests. Do hope whoever it is makes it safely to land and recovery 🙏

Link to video here 

Great job by Captain Egil in manoeuvring the ship in quite a swell to negotiate the safe transfer of the patient. 

20221011_180000.thumb.jpg.3e1c7faacb108181f364e70b38af8fc1.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece
  • Like 1

Thoughts and prayers are with the passenger taken off the ship.

Thank you for such an in depth and interesting report - we are booked on our first Ambience cruise to the German Xmas markets in December and on a Northern Lights cruise to Iceland in March 2023. Loving your feedback so far and can’t wait to hear your thoughts about Iceland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 32 / 34 sea day

Good morning and thanks again for following 😀 

Any pic requests from the ship welcome.

We've received our potential disembarking times for Sunday. We can use our embarkation luggage labels..... my cases have been under the bed since day 1 so I've no idea if I've already removed them lol

• Like 1

Day 33 / 34 sea day.

Good morning and thanks again for following 😀 

Bit rocky out, no standing in uke rehearsal. Clocks went forward for the last time last night. I think lol.

Link to yesterday's sole rehearsal for one number with the choir here Performance tomorrow. 🎶 

Currrent location; we're the little blue arrow pointing South East in the centre.

Tip : get double shots of coffee!

Screenshot_20221014_103449.thumb.jpg.0e14f37f2e491d1c025421dd54763f15.jpg

20221014_103609.thumb.jpg.92af1b77c653bb965298ff085ee67e3d.jpg

• Like 1