Gem or Getaway

Deacon22

Going on a cruise in February with two teenagers. I personally like the itinerary of the Gem 1000% better than the Getaway, but there is 4 days that we will be at sea.  Looking at the reviews of the ship, it looks like there's more to do as a teenager on the Getaway than the Gem.  Anyone take a cruise on the Gem with a 15 and 16 year old? Were they bored on the ship? Thanks!

Definitely Getaway UNLESS your teens are social and you’re sailing at a time when schools are out. My kids loved the Gem but 98% of that was because of the other teens they met onboard. In terms of stuff to do on the ship- Getaway wins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raitch said:

Definitely Getaway UNLESS your teens are social and you’re sailing at a time when schools are out. My kids loved the Gem but 98% of that was because of the other teens they met onboard. In terms of stuff to do on the ship- Getaway wins. 

I agree, we’ve been on the breakaway and Gem with teens, gem was fine because there were a lot of teens, plus my boys like the sports court, but definitely no bells or whistles.

• Like 1

I asked the exact same question here.  I will be cruising with a 9 and 12 year old for February break out of NYC.  The itinerary for the Gem is so much more appealing to me.  However, the majority consensus is that the Getaway is a much better ship for teenagers/kids.  I left it up to my boys to decide and they chose the Getaway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYMama said:

I asked the exact same question here.  I will be cruising with a 9 and 12 year old for February break out of NYC.  The itinerary for the Gem is so much more appealing to me.  However, the majority consensus is that the Getaway is a much better ship for teenagers/kids.  I left it up to my boys to decide and they chose the Getaway.

After posting this and seeing everyone saying the Getaway, I asked my kids what they wanted to do.  My kids actually said they don’t care but I think they would like the Getaway better.  I‘m Just not so excited about Virginia in Feb and Orlando for the 700th time.  Wish they spent more time in the Bahamas.  Would’ve made the choice easier. 

13 hours ago, Deacon22 said:

After posting this and seeing everyone saying the Getaway, I asked my kids what they wanted to do.  My kids actually said they don’t care but I think they would like the Getaway better.  I‘m Just not so excited about Virginia in Feb and Orlando for the 700th time.  Wish they spent more time in the Bahamas.  Would’ve made the choice easier. 

I agree.  I would much prefer another day in the Bahamas or an overnight in Bermuda.  In Norfolk, we plan to do the Virginia Zoo.  In Port Canaveral, we will take the shuttle to Cocoa Beach and either wander around or get a resort pass to a place with heated pools.  But I would much prefer St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, Puerto Plata and Grand Turk.