Discounts just showing up?

Rob-Bob

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Each person may have a different code.  If they have your Latitudes number they should be able to access the discounts/coupons on your account.

This isn't an account code: 

"It wasn’t a coupon in our account, but it was a code that had to be explicitly applied."

5 hours ago, lgdesign said:

This isn't an account code: 

"It wasn’t a coupon in our account, but it was a code that had to be explicitly applied."

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  The discussion is about coupons that have been added to our Latitudes accounts, a TA with your Latitudes account number would be able to ensure the trip is booked using the discounts available on your account.  Additionally, you can see what discounts are available to you by logging in to your account on NCL's website.

If you don't ask, you don't get.  I just booked a cruise today and didn't see any discounts available in my account or my husband's, so I called and asked.  It took all of 10 minutes and I got 10% off!  I love the great info on Cruise Critic.  BTW the code that showed on my reservation is 10OFFS.

• Like 1

Funny, I did get a call from NCL last night.  I didn't answer but they left a message saying that my 10% discount was ready to expire and I should book ASAP.  They did not mention the 20% discount which is obviously more valuable.

I will cruise again (21 under our belts) but nothing is really exciting me these days (price, itinerary, etc). Cruises seem pricy and same old itineraries or long expensive flights.

I see threads pointing out "great deals" but these are "starting at" prices.  Try to book the room you want with all of the free benefits and airfare and it adds up quickly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JennKach said:

If you don't ask, you don't get.  I just booked a cruise today and didn't see any discounts available in my account or my husband's, so I called and asked.  It took all of 10 minutes and I got 10% off!  I love the great info on Cruise Critic.  BTW the code that showed on my reservation is 10OFFS.

Thank you... that's exactly the information that I was looking for (and what was referred to by psac in an earlier post.)!

17 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I will cruise again (21 under our belts) but nothing is really exciting me these days (price, itinerary, etc). Cruises seem pricy and same old itineraries or long expensive flights.

I see threads pointing out "great deals" but these are "starting at" prices.  Try to book the room you want with all of the free benefits and airfare and it adds up quickly. 

That's my feeling as well re: the cruise prices these days...  I see a B2B I'm interested in for next fall but the prices are making me cringe.  I may book now and then hope the numbers go down and/or try an upgrade bid later.

Edited by lgdesign

19 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

But doesn't the "starting at price" reflect approximately the savings exponentially as you go up in class?  For example, if inside stateroom is 10% off, then so are balconies.  I mean, you didn't expect balconies to suddenly be priced in the inside cabin range, did you?

I don't get what is so disappointing.  A great deal for the least luxurious necessarily means there are great deals all round. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I explained earlier in the thread.  Well, later in the thread compared to the post you quoted, so you just need to read further...

Ah, thanks.   So the same place where Cruise Next certificates appear, if memory serves.  I'm fresh out of CN right now, so can't be sure  😀

1 hour ago, EvanBedar said:

But doesn't the "starting at price" reflect approximately the savings exponentially as you go up in class?  For example, if inside stateroom is 10% off, then so are balconies.  I mean, you didn't expect balconies to suddenly be priced in the inside cabin range, did you?

I don't get what is so disappointing.  A great deal for the least luxurious necessarily means there are great deals all round. 

This isn't necessarily true. If you do a mock booking on NCL and sort by cheapest to most expensive cruise you'll see the cheapest cruise for an interior room. If you then apply a filter for Haven, the interior room price will show up, but the cruises are sorted by cheapest to most expensive Haven room. These do not always correlate to the same cruise.

Now yes, if you have a 10% off coupon, it'll be 10% whatever room you book (depending on any exclusions).

4 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

The 10% off was mentioned on one of the many, many NCL postcards I've received.  Problem is, I only receive mail addressed to my mom and showing her Latitudes number.  I didn't receive a postcard with my name and there's no discount associated with my account online.  

image.png.bf5a8072cec74d5a1fb98aece42de51a.pngimage.png.da21f671bfc4784ae5e02fec77ac5d99.png

is time they save money on the many postcards we get too.

4 hours ago, mpk said:

Ah, thanks.   So the same place where Cruise Next certificates appear, if memory serves.  I'm fresh out of CN right now, so can't be sure  😀

Yes, same place.  I have some, I can definitively say that...

On 9/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, EvanBedar said:

The "starting at" prices refers to all categories of rooms.  The balcony starting at $699 ends up costing $3,500 for 2 once you add on port charges, "free" benefits, insurance, flights, pick your room and getting my $140 discount for 10% off..  

Just getting too costly to get me excited.  I will cruise again but need to get excited and motivated.  

Edited by Rob-Bob
  • Like 2

I looked at Panama Cruise in March 2023.  OV starting at $599.  This was sail away price.  After selecting lowest OV non sail away (OV with obstructed view) at $913, added free stuff, added BOGO airfair ($558), added standard insurance ($238), less 10% discount ($183) total came to $3,848.72.  Of course I would need to book excursions on top.

So starting price in OV category at $599 gets to $3,848.72 with lowest OV room.  

Only posting so people see what I am saying about deals sounding great.  Now maybe some people still think $3,800 is a great deal but it isn't me.  Not that I wouldn't think about booking (great itinerary) but is is not a "great" deal. Just a regular, fair deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

So starting price in OV category at $599 gets to $3,848.72 with lowest OV room. (...) Now maybe some people still think $3,800 is a great deal but it isn't me. 

To a lot of people I think it's just relative to what everything costs otherwise.  People have an idea what NCL cruises run in their favorite stateroom category.  When they see a break in that price, it motivates them.

It sounds like you're more motivated by a static end price, which will place more restrictions on where and when you can shop.

But if you've decided A) I paid 10 grand for that Greek Cruise with Princess last year, I want to stay 2 grand under that, B) I don't want to be stuck with an inside cabin, C) I have an excursion budget of 2 grand - then BOOM.  An NCL deal that gets your stateroom for two passengers down to 5 or 6 grand is, by any measure, a great deal!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

So starting price in OV category at $599 gets to $3,848.72 with lowest OV room.  

Only posting so people see what I am saying about deals sounding great.  Now maybe some people still think $3,800 is a great deal but it isn't me.  Not that I wouldn't think about booking (great itinerary) but is is not a "great" deal. Just a regular, fair deal.

Is the $599 the per person price?  Is the $3,848.72 for two people?

Also, it looks like your airfare and insurance are about $1000 of that $3.8K.  Since the cruise sails from Panama City, wouldn't you expect a significant airfare?

$599 to $3800 is a shocking increase.  $1200 to $2800?  Not the same.  Still significant, but....

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is the $599 the per person price?  Is the $3,848.72 for two people?

Also, it looks like your airfare and insurance are about $1000 of that $3.8K.  Since the cruise sails from Panama City, wouldn't you expect a significant airfare?

$599 to $3800 is a shocking increase.  $1200 to $2800?  Not the same.  Still significant, but....

I price checked this itinerary, because I was floored! When I did so, I noticed the poster upgraded the room from a guaranteed oceanview to the cheapest oceanview where you can select your room, and get all the perks. The oceanview room was $913 per person.

That certainly makes this not quite as shocking a difference. Here's the actual price breakdown (I'm bored at work and have a cold, so why not dream about warming locations):

image.thumb.png.e616434e81a8dbe847cd9aa7fb9117c9.png

• Haha 1