Honeymoon on O'dam 4/22/06

Buckett

Hello, this is my first post, and I don't really have a question, just want to introduce myself. Do you CC'ers ever get tired of newbies thanking you for all the great info? Well I would like to say that over the past month or so of lurking, I have really gleaned a LOT of useful information which I would like to thank you for. Hubby and I are taking our honeymoon cruise on the O'dam, April 22nd. I signed up on the roll call so hope to meet other cc'ers. We are VERY excited, we talk about it every day. It will be my second cruise (did the Caribbean on RCL back in '99), and DH's first. He can't wait. I work in downtown in San Diego, and like to run after work. My runs take me right past the cruise ship terminal, and I get to read the sign for the upcoming arrivals/departures. Can't wait until it reads: "Oosterdam departing 4/22/06". !! :D I would be more than happy to try and answer any San Diego related questions you might have.

Hi Buckett - You will love cruising on the Oosterdam. DH and I cruised from San Diego on January 28th on the Oosterdam. We had a wonderful time but, as is always the case, it went too quickly. We spent two days pre-cruise in San Diego - our first visit to your lovely city. We enjoyed that very much, visited the zoo and Horton Plaza, then walked down to the pier where the Dawn Princess was docked. The Dawn was our first cruise ship, so that was nice. We had dinner at the Fish Market and watched as the Dawn set sail that evening. We look forward to visiting San Diego again and spending more time because there is so much to see.

Welcome to HAL cruising. I'm sure you will have a memorable honeymoon on the Oosterdam.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Buckett!!

My Dh and I will be onboard for our first cruise on 4/22/06! I'm so looking forward to seeing the Oosterdam in person.

You mention that you signed up on the Roll call. How does one do that? Obviously, I'm a newbie, so bear with me! Thanks for any info you can give to me!

Barb

First Cruise: 4/22/06 - Oosterdam Mexican Riviera

:o OH! You will have such a wonderful time.

My hubbie's first cruise was ours on the O.............it was 23 days. I was hoping he'd like it because we were "on" for a long while and he loved it. We boarded in Seattle and disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale and it was so wonderful.

I know you will love this ship............be sure to be in a glass elevator for one of the spectacular sunsets............you're out over the water and it's quite a feeling!

Hi Icelandic, what I did was I went to the home page, then clicked on "community" and there is the Roll Call. Then you click on the drop down to find the Oosterdam, and sign up. How exciting! I hope to meet you and your hubby. Kayef, thanks for the tip about the glass elevator/sunset. I will definitely check it out!

I would be more than happy to try and answer any San Diego related questions you might have.

welcome aboard and congrats------ we are planning to stay at la pensionne in little italy for one nite prior to our odam cruise --what is your opinion of the hotel

Lougee, you will really like La Pensione. It is literally in the heart of Little italy, right around the corner from my favorite coffee shop, as a matter of fact. it's called "caffe italia". they have awesome home made waffles every sunday. Many nice restaraunts one minute away. I've had lots of friends over the years stay there, and they really liked it. I have not seen the rooms however, but they must be nice because my friends keep coming back!

Lougee, you will really like La Pensione. It is literally in the heart of Little italy, right around the corner from my favorite coffee shop, as a matter of fact. it's called "caffe italia". they have awesome home made waffles every sunday.

thanks for the positive response ----- will have to miss the waffles as we arrive in san diego on friday and sail on saturday--will make it a point of trying "your" coffee shoop

Hi Buckett,

We are also on the Oosterdam on April 22nd. If you go to the home page, click on boards, go down to roll calls, choose Holland America, then choose Oosterdam, you will find the thread started for this cruise. So far there are only 3 couples that have been posting on this thread and have been hoping to get more so that we can meet and maybe have a sailaway party. Hope to here from you!:o

:o OH! You will have such a wonderful time.

My hubbie's first cruise was ours on the O.............it was 23 days. I was hoping he'd like it because we were "on" for a long while and he loved it. We boarded in Seattle and disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale and it was so wonderful.

I know you will love this ship............be sure to be in a glass elevator for one of the spectacular sunsets............you're out over the water and it's quite a feeling!

Thanks Kayef, for the tip!! That's the first I've heard about a glass elevator! It sounds amazing! Gosh, I'm so pumped for this cruise I can't sleep at night...it's been a long time since DH and I went away together!

Buckett,

I eventually found the roll call...thanks for the help! Maybe we'll meet on the O! The last time DH and I were away together, we spent a long weekend in San Diego. You live in a beautiful city with so many friendly people!!!

Barb

Buckett,

Any suggestions for a restaurant in Little Italy or that general area, or even Gaslamp, for this Friday night? Been there before, but nothing seemed to come to mind...might just be pre-cruise brain cramp.

Thanks.

Jas, there are so many options, if you let me know what type of food/atmosphere you're looking for I can give you some recommendations.

Italian (we're staying at the Best Western on the edge of Little Italy) or Seafood. Moderately priced. Nothing too fancy. Thanks.

Italian (we're staying at the Best Western on the edge of Little Italy) or Seafood. Moderately priced. Nothing too fancy. Thanks.

JASCRUISE - YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH FILIPPI'S OR MONA LISAS FOR ITALIAN IN LITTLE ITALY. ACTUALLY, THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD ITALIAN RESTAURANTS IN THAT AREA TO CHOOSE FROM SO YOU ARE DEFINITELY IN A "WIN WIN" SITUATION. FOR SEAFOOD, TRY THE FISH HOUSE JUST SOUTH OF THE CRUISE SHIP TERMINAL (APP. 1/3 OF A MILE) ON PACIFIC HIGHWAY

Congratulations on your wedding & honeymoon!! Please post a review if you have the time afterwards. We are cruising 1/20/07 on the Oosterdam and we can't read enough reviews!! Our group has gone to the Waterfront a couple of times for breakfast now on 2 different Saturdays and then walked down to stare at her. She is beautiful!! I envy you being able to run down there! I use to Roller Skate there until we moved east and now would have to deal with rush hour traffic. Enjoy!!!!

Jas I agree with hammerinfrank, filippi's or mona lisa would be great. filippi's has really good pizza, it's casual, and reasonably priced. mona lisa has a full bar, and is also casual. these are both located on India St, walking distance from your Best Western.

cathie88, I will be sure to post a review upon our return. I too can't get enough of Oosterdam reviews! :)

Archived