Dropping luggage and site seeing before boarding ship

clovercreek

20 minutes ago, clovercreek said:

Good morning!

We are departing from Civitavecchia, Italy next month. I was wanting to "check" our luggage to the ship and go site seeing for a while. Is that possible with Oceania cruise line?

Thanks for any information regarding this.

A

Yes, Absolutely! 

However, in most ports you have to wait until after 9:00-9:30 to do so. They won’t check your bags in while everything is going full bore trying to get all the baggage off the ship.

We always come in a day or so early and find it much easier to just leave the baggage with the hotel concierge. 

I forgot to add this. On our last boarding at Civitavecchia, no one was allowed into the port area before there assigned boarding times. Guards checked paperwork at the gate. No more massive crowds in the cruise terminal pre boarding. Those with early arriving flights had to find some place else to go and wait.

You had better check to see if those Covid prevention policies are still in effect.

Our plane arrives early in the morning, just after 8:00, in Rome, the day we embark. We have Oceania-provided transport to the port. I wonder what they will do with two sleep-deprived people for several hours till we can board. It may not be very easy to “find some place to go and wait!” Any ideas on that?

16 minutes ago, CUatSea! said:

Our plane arrives early in the morning, just after 8:00, in Rome, the day we embark. We have Oceania-provided transport to the port. I wonder what they will do with two sleep-deprived people for several hours till we can board. It may not be very easy to “find some place to go and wait!” Any ideas on that?

Well, it’ll probably take an hour to get luggage, clear immigration and customs. So that gets you to 9:00. Thirty (30) minutes FCO to port.

My guess is that you’ll be put on a bus at the airport while waiting for other arrivals. You’ll set there until around 10:30 when the bus departs full, so to arrive at the pier close to your probable assigned 11:00 boarding time.

Problem solved.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CUatSea! said:

They may take you on a tour enroute to the port

Port is about 65 km  away

You will have to wait for the bus to fill up I suspect 

I would grab your bags  grab a coffee  & head to the O rep