Celebrity Insurance

eddieg07410

I have a Ph.D. and thus far I have not found anyone who can explain Celebrity's ship insurance. We are planning a Galapagos cruise on the Flora in December of 2023. I am a diabetic and have had a kidney transplant. I need to know if the insurance that I purchase through Celebrity will cover me for pre-existing conditions. To this point every insurance plan I purchased through a cruise line has covered. But I am getting very mixed messages from Celebrity and no one has given me a hard fast yes or no. My preference is o go through the cruise line because if I cancel I before final payment I don't lose any of my deposit. But if Celebrity won't cover pre-existing conditions I would need to go through a third party. So if the answer is that Celebrity's insurance does not cover pre-existingcionditions I could use assistance in finding a company that does.

13 minutes ago, eddieg07410 said:

I have a Ph.D. and thus far I have not found anyone who can explain Celebrity's ship insurance. We are planning a Galapagos cruise on the Flora in December of 2023. I am a diabetic and have had a kidney transplant. I need to know if the insurance that I purchase through Celebrity will cover me for pre-existing conditions. To this point every insurance plan I purchased through a cruise line has covered. But I am getting very mixed messages from Celebrity and no one has given me a hard fast yes or no. My preference is o go through the cruise line because if I cancel I before final payment I don't lose any of my deposit. But if Celebrity won't cover pre-existing conditions I would need to go through a third party. So if the answer is that Celebrity's insurance does not cover pre-existingcionditions I could use assistance in finding a company that does.

This is the definition of pre-existing conditions from the website.

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before Your coverage is effective under this policy.

So if your condition is unchanged in the 60 days before final payment, you're covered.  If there is a change in that 60 days, then you should cancel if you are concerned about coverage.  

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/EKCJe8iaZ6aHu3cTFIBUK1Uw0uoMftK77ka3NcXykkUZ7cW3e81189rlXdDBTjqw3Q44

Here is a link to the policy. Note under Restrictions that it does not cover pre-existing conditions that have presented in the 60 look-back period. If you have any test, treatment, or RX change as described in the definition, the claim will be denied.

If you are not comfortable with those terms, there are any number of comprehensive travel policies that will grant a waiver of the pre-existing conditions provision  if you buy the policy within 14-21 days of making the initial deposit. You will have to meet other requirements such as being able to travel on the day of purchase and/or insuring all prepaid nonrefundable expenses, depending on the policy.

Many on these boards recommend Trip Insurance Store for assistance in buying a policy appropriate for your needs. Call them and give them the details so you can be sure you are adequately covered.

FCC is nice to have when you are cancelling for a non-covered reason. It is less expensive to get the CFAR provision through Celebrity rather than a third-party policy, and the 90% FCC is a better return than 75% cash from a third-party policy as long as you are able to use it.

But there is no reason to accept 90% FCC when you can get 100%  cash reimbursement when cancelling for a covered reason. There are plenty of policies offering a waiver of pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it in the time-sensitive window. There are even some that grant the waiver if the policy is purchased at final payment.

If there is a greater cost, it is because the third-party policy also provides higher dollar limits for medical/evacuation services.