Transatlantic Cruises -- Open jaw fares

Smiles3usa

I'm rather savvy when it comes to hunting down good air fares, or at least I used to think so. It's almost impossible to do so if you have no idea of what constitutes a good airfare. We're cruising this November from Las Palmas to Rio De Janiero. It is very difficult to find consolidator airfares FROM Brazil to the US. I am finding that I can fly from Boston to Rio for $395/pp one-way including all taxes and fees. Turn that around and fly one-way from Rio to Boston on the same date and the lowest fare is $1250+. I found one consolidator that had a sale from Rio to IAD (Washington, DC) for $550/pp. I took it, since United is charing $1450 for the same one-way seat, but I still don't know if it is a good fare. Is there someway to look up what previous sale fares are from point to point?

Another question. I found a one-way fare from Boston to Las Palmas for $251. pp including all taxes and fees. Only problem is the flight gets in at 5:50 pm and the cruise departs at 7:00 pm....a bit too close for my comfort. To get a flight that arrives the previous day or 3+ hours earlier raises the airfare to $551. pp. Our work schedules really don't allow us to leave an extra day early--especially since we want to spend 3 days in Rio post cruise--but I find it silly to pay $300 extra to arrive a mere 2 hours and 50 minutes earlier. As I recall, most flights to Europe after Nov 1 go on sale in mid-September. Should I wait to see if the airfare will go down, or purchase now?

A quick primer on what constitutes an open-jaw FARE. This is applicable when the open jaw segment (the one not flown) is the SHORTEST side of the triangle. In this case, the fare is one-half of the applicable R/T fare for each of the flown segments.

If the open jaw is longer (point-to-point air distance) than either of the flown segments, then it is still an open jaw TRIP, but it will not price as an open-jaw FARE. In this case, it's priced as two one-way tickets. Often, you'll get an abnormally high fare spitting out, due to the fact that you're buying full-fare one-ways.

As for fall fare sales - yes, there have often been sales after Labor Day, but that could change any time. You takes your chances ;).

Have you looked at fares out of GRU (Sao Paulo) or Buenos Aires (EZE)? Especially GRU, as it is a far bigger market than Rio (GIG).

No wonder the prices seemed so high. I am very glad that I took the GIG to IAD route for $555. The same consolidator (http://www.tfitours.com) is now selling that same one-way flight for $1250. Timing is everything I guess. Rather than pay such outrageous fares, it seems better to buy a round-trip ticket, orginating in South America, and throw away the return. It is interesting that only a few consolidators sell one-way tickets that orginate outside of the US.

As far as the one-way ticket to Las Palmas, unfortunately 1800flyeurope does not fly there. I decided to take my chances with the fall sales inasmuch as $500 for a one-way flight to europe--in LOW season--seems way too high to me.

Again, thanks for the input.

No wonder the prices seemed so high. I am very glad that I took the GIG to IAD route for $555. The same consolidator (http://www.tfitours.com) is now selling that same one-way flight for $1250. Timing is everything I guess. Rather than pay such outrageous fares, it seems better to buy a round-trip ticket, orginating in South America, and throw away the return. It is interesting that only a few consolidators sell one-way tickets that orginate outside of the US.

As far as the one-way ticket to Las Palmas, unfortunately 1800flyeurope does not fly there. I decided to take my chances with the fall sales inasmuch as $500 for a one-way flight to europe--in LOW season--seems way too high to me.

Again, thanks for the input.

Why don't you book one of the one way 1800flyeurope fares to Madrid or BCN, then fly Spanair to LPA. If you can work out the logistics, that would probably be the cheapest. Or, take one day off work, book Aer Lingus BOS/DUB ($162.00 all in most of November), then the nonstop from DUB to LPA. Spend the night and board the ship. Maybe swap out one of the days in Rio for the pre cruise day. I know that is not the ideal situation, but my crystal ball says that fall fare sales to places other than London will be either non existant or have lots of restrictions.

Just curious-why are you staying in Rio for three days? Rio can EASILY be done in 2. IMHO, Rio is a nasty, dirty, crime infested city with filthy beaches. We are not even having our annual South America food producers meeting in Rio anymore. Too many people refuse to go.

Thanks for that link to the consolidator. I tried some sample trips, and they look to have some great rates -- I undercut them by a little on a recent Europe booking, but I would have paid more to not have had all the hunting aggravation. I think I will use them going forward.

Archived