Board ship without Viking Transfer

lkear

We are doing a Viking cruise in which we are flying in a couple days early and since we are not using Viking transfer, how does boarding work with luggage?  I know when we used Viking transfer luggage was delivered to our cabin, but not sure when we walk on board with it.

I read somewhere on V site (can't remember where, sorry), that you could drop luggage at pier, before your scheduled boarding time, and they would look after it for you.

We're arriving 2 day early and it was good to know.

Edited by FetaCheese

When we boarded one of our cruises in Greenwich, we took a taxi to the staging site. (There was not really a terminal there and it was necessary to have a tender deliver us to the ship.) Our large luggage was collected onshore and delivered to our room. We kept possession of our carryons as we were tendered to the ship. 

On another cruise, we walked to our room on the ship with all of our luggage. 

Guess it just depends. However, if you need help, they will certainly provide it for you.

• Like 1

Put your paper luggage tags on and go to pier. You will give them your luggage at check in with Viking personal or at curb side depending upon the embarkation port . I always keep my bag that I put under my plane seat with me till

I get to my stateroom which had always been immediately after we board . 

We have yet to board the ship with a Viking transfer.  What happens is the taxi pulls up to wherever the ship is docked.  We normally put our room tags on our luggage while leaving our hotel.  Viking takes care of the luggage immediately and it gets delivered to our room.  We check in.  The luggage, if it’s not in our cabin when we get there, it shows up soon after.

• Like 1

For this cruise (boarding at Greenwich and tendering to the ship), we took the Thames Clipper from central London out to Greenwich. Apparently that’s not the usual way people travel to the ship, because there was no one to take our luggage. We had to drag it around ourselves for the couple of hours it took to board. Fortunately we just had carryons, so it was not a big deal, but it would’ve been less fun if we’d brought more stuff. (Other people waiting to board did not have to lug around their luggage, so I’m thinking you’d be fine if you did the normal thing and took a taxi.)

We boarded Mars in Bergen after a several days advance stay on our own.  We arrived at 9:30 AM after taking a cab to the pier from our hotel; Viking staff came to the cab for luggage, and it disappeared later to appear in the room.  We went through the checking in process all by ourselves and boarded rather quietly.  Spent the entire morning and until 2PM room availability enjoying all the lounges, beverages, and food.  This is a day you paid for and rarely get to use since you are traveling from home to the ship.

• Like 7