Official Change to Platinum Dinner choices

LaCal

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Thank you very much.

I still don't understand "Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included."

We will be dining in Palomar in a few weeks and I am trying to figure out if we can use our Voucher. I think that this says you can get your free bottle of wine at restaurants that have the free wine list,,, but they are not going to tell you which restaurants those are,,, except Palomar does not offer free wine. The only place Palomar is mentioned is this goofy sentence in the context of wine. Thoughts?

Coldcruise posted this: 

notes re #1

— this can’t be redeemed in Palomar because Palomar has a unique wine list that contains only organic or biodynamic wines

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

This is no longer true.   Some time back the dinners became per stateroom not per person.  DH and I are both Diamond, used to get four dinner (2 vouchers for 2) but now it is per stateroom, as the quoted verbage says.   It is mt belief that by offering the 2-3 dining vouchers in Free At Sea, they’ve overwhelmed their specialty restaurant capacity.  But that’s just my take on it.  

I think you misunderstood what I intended to say - that we when two persons with the required Latitude status in one cabin get two vourcher in total = 4 dinners = 2 dinners per person. And my original thought was why a person travelling solo should be entitled to more than that...

As several others have pointed out - solo travellers often pay double price to travel solo in a cabin that is intended for 2 persons, hence they should be entitled two four "Latitude dinners" in total. I still don't agree with that type of "logic" - as the price p.p. for a cabin totally depends on cabin type and offers/demands... 

Edited by TrumpyNor

We just got off the Breakaway today.  How its implemented over there according to the CruiseNext team was that we could use our 2 plat coupons at any specialty restaurant, but not the same restaurant for both coupons, didn't matter what the coupon said, as they were trying to be green and not use the new ones yet.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StarAFire said:

We just got off the Breakaway today.  How its implemented over there according to the CruiseNext team was that we could use our 2 plat coupons at any specialty restaurant, but not the same restaurant for both coupons, didn't matter what the coupon said, as they were trying to be green and not use the new ones yet.  

any word if there’s a 3rd Platinum guest in the cabin? 

23 minutes ago, LaCal said:

any word if there’s a 3rd Platinum guest in the cabin? 

Latitude FAQ's state:

For 3rd and 4th Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, or Ambassador members in the same stateroom, an additional Welcome Back Card will be delivered. If there is only a 3rd Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, or Ambassador member in the same stateroom, an additional Welcome Back Card will be delivered but this guest will be treated as a solo traveler who get one dinner only. The benefit is only if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick Question.

It seems they are limiting you to only 1 Appetizer for the Platinum Dinner Vouchers (I never agreed or understood the reason for this). Are you limited to only 1 appetizer for the "FAS" dinners and purchased "Specialty Dinners" as well?

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

1 hour ago, libert1 said:

Latitude FAQ's state:

For 3rd and 4th Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, or Ambassador members in the same stateroom, an additional Welcome Back Card will be delivered. If there is only a 3rd Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, or Ambassador member in the same stateroom, an additional Welcome Back Card will be delivered but this guest will be treated as a solo traveler who get one dinner only. The benefit is only if there are 2 guests dining on the same visit.

That’s an important distinction. For my wife and I we often book two cabins if they drop the single supplement so we can get the extra free dinner vouchers (2 per room = 4 dinners) as well as being able to double up on other perks like the shareholder credit, OBC offers, etc. This implies that we’ll still be able to do that!

2 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Quick Question.

It seems they are limiting you to only 1 Appetizer for the Platinum Dinner Vouchers (I never agreed or understood the reason for this). Are you limited to only 1 appetizer for the "FAS" dinners and purchased "Specialty Dinners" as well?

Yup. The 1 app, 1 entrée, 1 dessert has been that way for a while. We order what we want. Sometimes we get charged,,,, sometimes we don't. 

No, regular Specialty Dining Credits are not limited. 

regarding solo travelers... there is a big difference between solo travelers and solo diners.

i don't believe anybody has mentioned this!

up to now, when a solo platinum (or above) traveler received a platinum dinner coupon, that solo traveler could invite a new onboard friend to dinner and the coupon would absolutely cover two meals consumed by two people dining together, regardless of whether they were sharing the same cabin. i can't imagine that has changed or that NCL's intent is to deny a two meal per coupon benefit to a solo traveler who invites someone to dinner.

so, does the rule really apply to solo travelers or to solo diners?

in my view, it applies to solo diners and NCL is just using sloppy language in the disclaimer, as it so often does. in any event, this is not new... the "one meal for platinum members dining alone" policy has always been in place with these dinner coupons.

regarding the rationale behind this... several people have said that many (not all) solo cruisers pay nearly double for their cabin on a per person basis and that is why this is unfair. while that may be true, that logic shouldn't really apply to the redemption of an earned benefit.

as a platinum (or above) latitudes member, you've earned two dinners, each consisting of two entrees. and two entrees (along with apps and dessert), regardless of whether consumed at the same time or consumed separately, cost NCL essentially the same amount of money to fulfill.

that's the problem. that's the rationale for why this is unfair. you've earned the equivalent of four entrees, but solo diners are only be given the opportunity to enjoy two and don't receive full value. it's about the value of the promised benefit, not how much you paid to sail.

NCL has made an arbitrary decision to limit redemption to two coupons, probably because it would be too confusing for their staff to distribute four solo dining coupons OR two coupons for two meals for those traveling together. so, they give all platinum (and above) members two dining coupons and insist that they each be used for two meals consumed at the same time by two people.

they have every right to do so (their ships, their loyalty program, their rules), but it's not very customer-friendly for solo "travelers." 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Are they still limiting you to the $35 entree maximum?  Or have they now made it comparable to the dining package?  Specifically Breakaway.  Thanks!

technically, that's what is still printed in the rules. in practice, most people have reported that there is no limit on entree price, except you will be billed applicable upcharges for crab cakes or other items, as noted on the menu.

this was my experience last week on the joy, where all the ordered entrees exceeded $35.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

regarding solo travelers... there is a big difference between solo travelers and solo diners.

i don't believe anybody has mentioned this!

up to now, when a solo platinum (or above) traveler received a platinum dinner coupon, that solo traveler could invite a new onboard friend to dinner and the coupon would absolutely cover two meals consumed by two people dining together, regardless of whether they were sharing the same cabin. i can't imagine that has changed or that NCL's intent is to deny a two meal per coupon benefit to a solo traveler who invites someone to dinner.

so, does the rule really apply to solo travelers or to solo diners?

in my view, it applies to solo diners and NCL is just using sloppy language in the disclaimer, as it so often does. in any event, this is not new... the "one meal for platinum members dining alone" policy has always been in place with these dinner coupons.

regarding the rationale behind this... several people have said that many (not all) solo cruisers pay nearly double for their cabin on a per person basis and that is why this is unfair. while that may be true, that logic shouldn't really apply to the redemption of an earned benefit.

as a platinum (or above) latitudes member, you've earned two dinners, each consisting of two entrees. and two entrees (along with apps and dessert), regardless of whether consumed at the same time or consumed separately, cost NCL essentially the same amount of money to fulfill.

that's the problem. that's the rationale for why this is unfair. you've earned the equivalent of four entrees, but solo diners are only be given the opportunity to enjoy two and don't receive full value. it's about the value of the promised benefit, not how much you paid to sail.

NCL has made an arbitrary decision to limit redemption to two coupons, probably because it would be too confusing for their staff to distribute four solo dining coupons OR two coupons for two meals for those traveling together. so, they give all platinum (and above) members two dining coupons and insist that they each be used for two meals consumed at the same time by two people.

they have every right to do so (their ships, their loyalty program, their rules), but it's not very customer-friendly for solo "travelers." 

Not really rationale IMHO, but this is your opinion....😉

16 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Quick Question.

No limit to the Free at Sea. I tested this just recently (early September) on Getaway. The server in La Cucina was adamant we could order one app, one pasta, and either pizza or an entrée. 

We ordered several apps, one pasta, and an entrée. Even though the server claimed we would be charged, we were not. The terms and conditions for Free at Sea are pretty clear that the only actual limit is on the entrée. 

I didn't test the pizza vs. entrée part. So I'm not really sure if you could order a pizza and entrée. My guess is you probably can't, but if someone tries it, I'd love to know!

Now back to Platinum and above dinners! 

5 hours ago, goldmom said:

Are they still limiting you to the $35 entree maximum?  Or have they now made it comparable to the dining package?  Specifically Breakaway.  Thanks!

We were on the breakaway a few weeks ago (before the change this week) and the restaurants only cared about items with an upcharge and charged you the upcharge (vs. $35 and difference from $35). 

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, BirdTravels said:

Miss that. Thank you very much @LaCal

So did I, Bird.  Have reservations 1st night dinner Palomar thinking I would be redeeming dinner w/wine.

Thanks to this thread realize that won't be happening.  Fortunately Onda night 2 which does have the complimentary wine list.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, phoenix1181 said:

I'm so confused!

I am Platinum, cruising solo, in a club balcony.  (cabin type added strictly to confirm we don't all cruise in insides).  Will I be able to dine with someone and use one of my Platinum Dinner coupons for both our meals?

Nope! Solos will have to eat dinner alone.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, phoenix1181 said:

I'm so confused!

I am Platinum, cruising solo, in a club balcony.  (cabin type added strictly to confirm we don't all cruise in insides).  Will I be able to dine with someone and use one of my Platinum Dinner coupons for both our meals?

My recommendation would be to stop by and speak with the maître ‘d at the particular restaurant before the night you plan to dine there. They should know exactly how they handle this. 

In the past I had no problem inviting someone to join me for dinner using the voucher, but you never know when and if things may change.

Rochelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, BirdTravels said:

Thank you very much.

I still don't understand "Bottle of Wine offered in all venues offering Complimentary Wine list, Palomar not included."

We will be dining in Palomar in a few weeks and I am trying to figure out if we can use our Voucher. I think that this says you can get your free bottle of wine at restaurants that have the free wine list,,, but they are not going to tell you which restaurants those are,,, except Palomar does not offer free wine. The only place Palomar is mentioned is this goofy sentence in the context of wine. Thoughts?

Please let everyone know what happens (which I know you will since you are so good at reviews), but I would plan on using the non-wine voucher at Palomar and you should be fine.  Between the weird unclear wording on the web site, and the wording posted on the actual certificates (can't remember the poster), it sounds like the wine cert may have a problem being used there, but not the other one.

I'm most disappointed in the can't use at the same place twice. We're picky eaters and sometimes just want something we are already familiar with.  I guess that is why I am excited about the new Prima menus that don't change rather than the rotating ones.  I don't deal well with unknowns. 😉