Airlines to San Diego

hoppelk

We just booked our first cruise on the Oosterdam in Jan 07 leaving from San Diego. What major airlines serve that airport or is there another airport I should be looking at? We will be flying from Syracuse or Rochester, NY. Thanks for your help.

Rather than trying to identify potential airlines and airports as an initial step, use a search engine like itasoftware.com and allow it to include "nearby airports". (You can specify distances in 25 mile increments up to 300 miles at either the origin or destination airport or both.) In the results that are presented, you can then select the "airport" tab and get an instantaneous set of tradeoffs of using each potential airport pair combination. From the information presented you will then be able to identify the airlines and airports that you may want to then focus your attention on. As in typically the case, Southwest Airlines is not included in their search. Although Southwest Airlines does serve San Diego, it does not serve the 2 airports that you mentioned in New York. (In any case, it will be quite a while yet before they have opened their schedule for flights next year.)

San Diego is served by most of the airlines you'd find throughout the US - Continental, American, America West/US Air, Southwest, Jetblue, etc. The only main national player that doesn't serve San Diego that I can think of is Air Tran. Here is a list of all airlines that serve SAN from their website (http://www.san.org).

Airlines Phone Numbers Terminal

AeroMexico 800.237.6639 Terminal 2

Air Canada 888.247.2262 Terminal 1

Alaska Airlines 800.252.7522 Terminal 1

Alaska Commuter (Los Angeles flights only) 800.252.7522 Commuter Terminal

Aloha Airlines 800.367.5250 Terminal 2

America West Airlines 800.235.9292 Terminal 2

America West Express 800.235.9292 Terminal 2

American Airlines 800.433.7300 Terminal 2

American Eagle 800.433.7300 Commuter Terminal

Continental Airlines 800.525.0280 Terminal 2

Continental Express (Los Angeles flights only) 800.525.0280 Commuter Terminal

Delta Air Lines 800.221.1212 Terminal 2

Delta Connection (Los Angeles flights only)

800.221.1212 Commuter Terminal

Delta Connection (all other flights) 800.221.1212 Terminal 2

Frontier Airlines 800.432.1359 Terminal 1

Hawaiian Airlines 800.367.5320 Terminal 2

JetBlue Airways 800.538.2583 Terminal 2

Midwest Airlines 800.452.2022 Terminal 1

Northwest Airlines 800.225.2525 Terminal 2

Northwest Airlink (Los Angeles flights only) 800.225.2525 Commuter Terminal

Southwest Airlines 800.435.9792 Terminal 1

Sun Country Airlines 800.359.6786 Terminal 2

United Airlines 800.864.8331 Terminal 1

United Express (Los Angeles flights only) 800.864.8331 Commuter Terminal

US Airways 800.428.4322 Terminal 2

WestJet (Summer only)

San Diego is a great airport to fly into. Only about 5 minutes from the port, maybe ten. Almost all the major airlines fly into there including Southwest. I can usually get flights for around $300 or less from Little Rock and we're an expensive fare city so you shouldn't have any problems.

With the airport only five or ten minutes from the pier, how early could I schedule a return flight?

No earlier than noon.

I see you are from Watertown. I made quite a few flights (12 to be exact) in there when US Air had the $2.00 flights through Watertown and Lebanon NH. Neat little airport, that little plane and the pilots were a lot of fun. One morning, when it was foggy on the ground, the pilots took us on a sightseeing trip of your area. Absolutely beautiful.

Syracuse on US Air, through Pittsburgh and on to San Diego will probably be your best bet. May not be the cheapest, but US Air has the best connections. Just don't book a US Air trip through Philly. They still have not gotten any better with luggage transfer.

Greatam,

Yes, it is a beautiful area especially the Thousand Islands area in the summer. A boat cruise at sunset on the St. Lawrence river is stunning. Thanks for the tip about avoiding Philly. It looks as though US AIR and United have the best connections. It is now time to watch prices.

At this site, see the map that shows the location of SAN and the port where cruise ships depart: http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/wayfinding.asp

Navigate to other locations at this site to get the upcoming cruise schedule at the San Diego port: http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/schedulesearch.asp

celmed,

What is the airport closest to the pier? When I did a search with kayak.com, I had to choose between two airports in the San Diego area. Thanks.

The main airport is Lindbergh Field. It's code is SAN.

The other airport that was popping up was most likely Carlsbad. Avoid this at all cost as it is about 30 miles NORTH of San Diego and offers only limited service (I think only America West and United fly there) and fares are a bit on the expensive side.

Archived