Proctored test requirements for cruises that visit Greece

Susandron

I am wondering  why Celebrity continues to require supervised Covid 19 test 48 hours before leaving Rome when traveling to Greece. Greece has dropped the testing protocols. This is what we sent to executives at Celebrity:

All of  my cruise documents state that a negative Covid test is required and it needs to be proctored by a health official. It states that this is required for all cruises going to Greece. Greece has reduced its requirements for visitors and are no longer requiring any test whatsoever to enter their country. This includes entering from a cruise ship. I am wondering why Celebrity is still requiring this for Greece when they no longer require it to enter the country. 

We leave on October 2nd hoping to get an answer this week. 

Has anyone on this board checked into this?
thanks!
Susan

• Like 1

It seems that the requirement is due to the Greek port authority, despite it being dropped from the official Greece travel site. Viking Cruises offers the following explanation, as per their guest instructions updated in mid September:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

NOTE: The port authority in Greece requires pre-embarkation test results for travelers boarding a cruise ship, in accordance with EU cruise ship travel guidelines. The country of Greece does not list these requirements on their official travel site (listed below), as the pre-embarkation test requirement is separate from any requirements for entry to the country of Greece. Without proof of a laboratory-certified negative COVID-19 test, you may be unable to embark the ship and begin your journey.

• Thanks 1

I just took a proctored test prior to my Reflection cruise in August. 🤷 No use kvetching about the whys and wherefores. A proctored test is required.

(Be glad you're not on the QM2, where I have to wear a mask indoors for the first time on a cruise this year [this is my fourth].)

Bottom Line:  It certainly can change at anytime and hopefully it will, sooner rather than later.  We are in the same situation with our b2b/TA, so it would be great if the port authority changed this policy.  However, it is what it is until it isn't.  

We just returned from a cruise aboard the Reflection that left out of Rome and we visited 3 port in Greece.  No one at the port in Rome asked to see our negative covid test results.  We were able to board the ship in Rome with out showing our covid test results to anyone because no one ever asked to see them.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:13 PM, kebrown said:

We just returned from a cruise aboard the Reflection that left out of Rome and we visited 3 port in Greece.  No one at the port in Rome asked to see our negative covid test results.  We were able to board the ship in Rome with out showing our covid test results to anyone because no one ever asked to see them.

Wow!  That's craziness at its peak!!!  Like the OP, we leave the US on Oct. 3 for our Oct. 5 Apex sailing.  Yesterday, I made appointments for us to have a proctored test morning of October 3.  Results to be Emailed to us (fingers crossed, but who knows?). 

Just got the latest booster last week, so glad to have gotten that before sailing.

We'll look for the line at embarkation which has passengers moving through the quickest! 😉

To the OP:  If you receive a response to your inquiry, please post the results.  Would love to know how they answer.

Susan

Don't mind showing the vaccination card.  It's the hassle of getting a proctored test prior to boarding the ship in order to comply with Greece's regulations.

To avoid all confusion, Celebrity should have testing at the pier for all guests.  Even if they need to charge us, at least we know the test will be accepted and we won't have to worry about getting it done here in the US or find a pharmacy/testing site once we land in Italy.

8 minutes ago, carpese said:

Don't mind showing the vaccination card.  It's the hassle of getting a proctored test prior to boarding the ship in order to comply with Greece's regulations.

To avoid all confusion, Celebrity should have testing at the pier for all guests.  Even if they need to charge us, at least we know the test will be accepted and we won't have to worry about getting it done here in the US or find a pharmacy/testing site once we land in Italy.

I have done the Binax tests using my cell phone on hotel wifi and it was fine. Takes 20 minutes, including the 15-minute wait for results.