Which Would You Choose? Discovery Princess or Celebrity Summit

KellyCz

I sailed on Discovery to Alaska in August, and would love it for a 5-nt out of LA, particularly for Cabo. In February you're likely to see whales and dolphins all around Cabo--the outdoor areas at the aft of deck 7 are ideal for watching them on the morning of sailing into Cabo, since the dolphins jump and flop on the wake on the side of the ship. I have 4 Celebrity Solstice sailings booked out of LA, but Discovery Princess is such a nice, new ship with modern design. It also has a big outdoor movie screen that's wonderful for watching movies in Mexico (or NFL playoffs), a tasty and free pizza/Italian restaurant, Gigi's, and at sailaways the captain sounds a horn that plays the Love Boat theme. If you're going to do Celebrity, I'd wait and do one of the Edge-class ships out of Florida, and they do more interesting 7-nt cruises with a better itinerary. Food is subjective, but I'd say I prefer the buffet in Celebrity and MDR food on Princess, but I think the pizza restaurant on Princess and the greater variety of food available in the International Cafe/coffee shop (and 24-hour service--the Celebrity coffee shop doesn't open until 6-7 am) make Princess better for me. I'm going on Princess tomorrow and Celebrity next Saturday, so I think both are great, but I'd choose Princess for the newer ship and better itinerary. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, jc foster said:

Celebrity. Its the little things like meeting you with a glass of wine when boarding ship. I have had Princess do the same but then hand me a bill when I did not have a drink package.

On our last two Celebrity cruises they didn’t  do the champagne greeting at boarding. We didn’t miss it much.  Celebrity does have lots of great little touches.  

I am deciding something similar.  Discovery Princess (April)  or Celebrity Solstice (February) both 7N Mexican Rivera.  I have sailed on Discovery and Celebrity Equinox, which is a sister ship to Solstice.  The pros for Celebrity are  buffet and food overall is better, balconies are bigger and the Martini Bar is a good vibe.  Pros on Princess are speciality dining is half the cost of Celebrity, Good Spirt Bar  has a nice vibe, the ship is new and bigger and I really like the Medallion (worked well enough for me on Discovery).  Personally, I think Princess has more evening and better activities than Celebrity.  

Although more money, I decided on Princess to be on a new ship and the weather will be warmer in April.  My biggest issue with Princess is that it's too bright in the evening.  I don't understand why lights are not dimmed.  San Pedro port is awful compared to any terminal Celebrity uses in FL.  

I agree with others that the sea days on Mexican Rivera cruise a quite chilly.  The Caribbean is a better choice to sit by the pool and relax.  

• Like 1