Staying in Ashdod?

dritan

Hi

Just wondering if anyone decided to stay in Ashdod as part of their cruise?  We have an overnight stay and as there are no shore excursions left and no availability on independent tours such as Guided Tours Israel we don't have as many options.

We are going to go to Jersualem on the first day as there is no rush back via the bus.  But on the second day I dont' want to venture too far away and be reliant on public transport.  Half of me thinks we get a taxi to the bus station and catch a bus to Tel Aviv for a few hours and then the other part wonders if there are enough things in Ashdod to warrant a walk around?

Has anyone done this?  Or is there anywhere else relatively local that is easy to get too?

Thanks

Ashdod is a pleasant enough beach side city; there is a cute promenade, some parks, a small archeological museum dedicated to the Philistine culture which might be interesting... that kind of thing. But mostly quiet residential and commercial areas. You could spend a few slow hours there if you want, but not exactly a destination you'd travel to.

Taking the bus or the train to Tel Aviv is easy. The next big city over from Ashdod (Rishon Let'zion) also have various attractions which might be of interest. The nearby country side has some sites worth visiting - Beit Guvrin national park in particular is very interesting - but it would be very hard to explore them by public transit, you'd optimally need to rent a car. If you have particular interests I may come up with more specific suggestions.

Have you considered staying in Jersualem overnight in a hotel? That will give you much more time there, and spending the evening and night adds a lot in my opinion.