Celebrity Cruises website exchange rates

laslomas

I have noticed that the exchange rate used by Celebrity seems, currently, to disfavour UK cruisers when purchasing a beverage package. Or maybe it is another IT blip??!!

While we suffered with the latest log on problems with the website and trying to find a way into my Booking, I ended up on the US website and items were priced in dollars. When I logged in they changed to GB Pounds. I noticed the cost of the Premium beverage package, currently reduced by 9% is shown as £80.20. When it is shown in dollars (also -9%) it is $75.99, which at current exchange rates would be nearer £70 than £80. The other items in the Planner seemed to be more correct.

What really shocked me most was the thought of paying £80 a day for drinks. This must be the most expensive package in the industry.

1340524941_2022-09-24(2).thumb.png.ee7f73a1fe38ee7cfe26cdc0addd8d1d.png1024556530_2022-09-24(3).thumb.png.c5aafca0a18dce254daaa201a1ab2492.png

26 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I have noticed that the exchange rate used by Celebrity seems, currently, to disfavour UK cruisers when purchasing a beverage package. Or maybe it is another IT blip??!!

While we suffered with the latest log on problems with the website and trying to find a way into my Booking, I ended up on the US website and items were priced in dollars. When I logged in they changed to GB Pounds. I noticed the cost of the Premium beverage package, currently reduced by 9% is shown as £80.20. When it is shown in dollars (also -9%) it is $75.99, which at current exchange rates would be nearer £70 than £80. The other items in the Planner seemed to be more correct.

What really shocked me most was the thought of paying £80 a day for drinks. This must be the most expensive package in the industry.

1340524941_2022-09-24(2).thumb.png.ee7f73a1fe38ee7cfe26cdc0addd8d1d.png1024556530_2022-09-24(3).thumb.png.c5aafca0a18dce254daaa201a1ab2492.png

What really shocked me most was the thought of paying £80 a day for drinks. This must be the most expensive package in the industry.  Celebrity is not anywhere close to being the most expensive in the industry, NCL daily drinks package is $138/pp/day!

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

What really shocked me most was the thought of paying £80 a day for drinks. This must be the most expensive package in the industry.  Celebrity is not anywhere close to being the most expensive in the industry, NCL daily drinks package is $138/pp/day!

OMG  🤯 

18 minutes ago, laslomas said:

OMG  🤯 

I know crazy right!  I get the premium package on Celebrity, but only because it is included with my suite package.  I don't even drink alcohol but I still feel I get my money's worth as I do drink all of the other high end beverage options that are included.  Still expensive but it is what it is and having it paid for in advance is peace of mind with one less thing to think about during the cruise. 

I winder if this is down to the 18% gratuity for the drink package already being included in the GBP price, but would be added at checkout on the USD price. Celebrity does have a habit of including the gratuity for UK cruises so that would make sense, and the prices you show for the wi-fi and shore excursion are lower in GBP than USD which would match the current (awful) exchange rate.

Andy.

1 hour ago, Brews'n'Cruise said:

I winder if this is down to the 18% gratuity for the drink package already being included in the GBP price, but would be added at checkout on the USD price. Celebrity does have a habit of including the gratuity for UK cruises so that would make sense, and the prices you show for the wi-fi and shore excursion are lower in GBP than USD which would match the current (awful) exchange rate.

Andy.

Thank you, I think that is possibly the difference in prices quoted. 

The exchange rate (thanks Kwasi) is truly horrendous. I am peeved I have a cruise from US in November and then I am keeping well away until reasonable again. Glad that We have paid up front for most things. Will have to keep future US cruises on hold. 

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Well, shut my mouth!!! That's just plain insane!

Beverage packages = slow death sentence purely from a health perspective, but I love them because their sales help subsidize my cruise fare. 

One thing I should point out is the 2-3% F/X conversion premium.  This premium is built into the fares translated from USD to other currencies and reflects the cost of the hedging program.