Dining Reservations for 2022 Viking Ocean cruises

gr8-2travel

Apologies in advance if this topic has been recently discussed.
Has anyone had problems in making restaurant reservations on MVJ for their upcoming 2022 VO cruises (Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table?) I received notification that reservations were open, but it was actually one day too early for our cabin class, and was therefore unable to choose any dates.
At the time our dining reservations were supposed to “open”  they remained locked with the notation that reservations are not available at this time.
Has this happened to others cruising within the next few months? I understand that we can always try to make reservations once on board, but since I had no issues with the shore excursion reservations this took me by surprise. Suggestions? 

Same thing happened to us when reservations opened for our 10th September cruise.  After continuous checking one available reservation showed up - 6pm on the 11th - so we took it.  Arrived at Manfredi's - no reservation could be found on the booking system - we were asked had we booked online - and got the impression from the gentleman on the desk that this was not unusual. We were shown to a table and enjoyed our meal. On our way out we showed the gentleman the booking confirmation on my husband's phone.  He told us that if we'd like a further reservation to come and see him and in hindsight we should have just decided on a day and time there and then, as we didn't get another reservation.   Go to guest services or the desk at restaurant when you get on board - even if, by some fluke, you are able to make an online booking, and try and sort it there.

Thank you all! I suspected that it wasn’t a website “user”  problem on my part given what I’ve read in other forums, but wanted to be certain. It’s just frustrating given Viking’s “guarantee” of a reservation for each of the specialty restaurants. Safe travels everyone! 

Edited by gr8-2travel

We had no problems making dining reservations. Received email from Viking titled 'Please Make Your Dining and Spa Reservations Tomorrow" on 9/23. Reservations were supposed to be open at 8PM PST on 9/24. They were actually open early in the AM on 9/24. We were able to reserve our allotment of "guaranteed" reservations at the times we wanted. My only problem with their system is that one makes reservations for "Chef's Table" without knowing what the menu will be. May have to change them once on board.

Yes, this topic has been discuss many times in these forums.   A hint - do a search on the Viking forums for any topic you are interested in and you'll find lots of prior posts and great answers - on any questions you may have.

With that in mind, however -  here is the scoop.

Post COVID, Viking has set aside a huge number of tables at the 2 specialty restaurants - for reserving when onboard.  That is why when you try to reserve at the days your reservations are available, they often show full, or just 8:30 or 9:00.   Please do not get discouraged.   There will be plenty of spaces.  A couple points to consider:

1- When you board, after having downloaded the Viking Voyager app ahead of your cruise, log in and immediately go to the dining reservations section in the app.  There you will find many open reservations now that you are on board.   If you are not on the app, go in person to the restaurant reservations desk in the attrium area immediately.

2.  People often overbook on the front end and by the middle of the cruise, have cancelled the many reservations they have - either because they found they didn't like a particular restaurant, or had other plans.  The back half of the cruise often really opens up for times.

3.  Visit the concierge on the evening you wish, especially at about 5:50 PM and ask if there are any openings that night from last minute cancellations.  We've found there are always late cancellations.

We've NEVER had any issue getting into a specialty restaurant.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

2.  People often overbook on the front end and by the middle of the cruise, have cancelled the many reservations they have - either because they found they didn't like a particular restaurant, or had other plans.  The back half of the cruise often really opens up for times.

3.  Visit the concierge on the evening you wish, especially at about 5:50 PM and ask if there are any openings that night from last minute cancellations.  We've found there are always late cancellations.

Thanks!  Good to know.  I couldn't make any reservations at Manfredi's for my last cruise pre-boarding, and delayed making Manfredi's reservation onboard until the 3rd day into the cruise.  By that time they said they were booked solid for the remainder of the cruise, but I didn't check with them again.

But hey, need an extra excuse to book another Viking cruise.  😁

3 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

We had no problems making dining reservations. Received email from Viking titled 'Please Make Your Dining and Spa Reservations Tomorrow" on 9/23. Reservations were supposed to be open at 8PM PST on 9/24. They were actually open early in the AM on 9/24. We were able to reserve our allotment of "guaranteed" reservations at the times we wanted. My only problem with their system is that one makes reservations for "Chef's Table" without knowing what the menu will be. May have to change them once on board.

I received the notifications as well, but the links just weren’t “open” for me; I even cleared my cache thinking that might help and zip..zero..nada! 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s not a big deal at this point. I will try all the various recommendations once we are aboard.

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, gr8-2travel said:

I received the notifications as well, but the links just weren’t “open” for me; I even cleared my cache thinking that might help and zip..zero..nada! 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s not a big deal at this point. I will try all the various recommendations once we are aboard.

Thanks! 

It might be too late for you now if you’re in a DV, but on other threads on this topic posters said they contacted Viking on a chat function and had them make reservations for them when they couldn’t get in.

It definitely depends on your cabin category. Any of the PV and above don’t seem to have any problem but those of us in DV can’t get any reservations. I did speak to two Viking reps as well as @tellus and no one was of any help at all. 

The “guarantee” 60 days in advance is false advertising. I argued back and forth about it and told Viking it should be removed from the cabin description. Not a good start to our first Viking cruise. 

Edited by WNcruiser

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

It might be too late for you now if you’re in a DV, but on other threads on this topic posters said they contacted Viking on a chat function and had them make reservations for them when they couldn’t get in.

I just got off a “chat” and yes, it is too late to do online reservations. Agent informed me they only release 30% for advance reservations and 70% will be available subsequent to boarding. Learning something new each day! Thanks all! 

33 minutes ago, gr8-2travel said:

I just got off a “chat” and yes, it is too late to do online reservations. Agent informed me they only release 30% for advance reservations and 70% will be available subsequent to boarding. Learning something new each day! Thanks all! 

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying.

For all those of you are letting this "Get you off to a bad start", relax, breathe, take a chill pill, and rest assured things will be fine when you get there.

Remember - a lot of things have changed and are still changing from the advent of COVID.  Remember, we still are only 15 months from the first Viking cruise back - and it was 15 months that they were shut down.  We have to give Viking a bit of a break, as they are still also suffering from staffing and supply shortages, as well as trying to adjust to the new world.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

49 minutes ago, gr8-2travel said:

Just to clarify what I meant. Others have posted that on the day their reservations were supposed to open, when they could not access the reservations at all—they did a chat with a Viking rep who was able to reserve for them. But if you’re in a DV, it’s quite likely all the good times have been filled up by higher cabin categories. And Kent assures everybody that you’ll be able to get in regardless once onboard.

It is a bit of a pain, I know. I find it difficult to decide what days/times we’d like reservations anyway and we almost always end up canceling/changing once onboard. As mentioned, you’re flying blind without advance menus for CT; you won’t know if you might prefer to eat in the MDR on a given night; one of your excursions might end up conflicting with a meal time; or you might decide you just don’t want to miss ABBA or the Beatles show. 😅🫣🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying.

For all those of you are letting this "Get you off to a bad start", relax, breathe, take a chill pill, and rest assured things will be fine when you get there.

Remember - a lot of things have changed and are still changing from the advent of COVID.  Remember, we still are only 15 months from the first Viking cruise back - and it was 15 months that they were shut down.  We have to give Viking a bit of a break, as they are still also suffering from staffing and supply shortages, as well as trying to adjust to the new world.

I am relaxed and I’m breathing. And despite being hours away from being struck by a major hurricane I don’t need a “chill pill”. I am merely asking Viking to honor what was promised when I booked my cruise, a reservation 60 days in advance. 

• Like 1

WNCruiser- I think what you are hearing here is that while your point is very valid, it has been this way for along time and is not likely to get any better in the near future. You are also hearing is that it usually is not important in terms of practical effect since reservations are generally available on board that will meet your needs. Should you complain to Viking directly? Sure. Perhaps it will help them remove this advertising point (for DV cabins, at least) which causes undo consternation and hopefully put an end to this thread and dozens like it on these boards which are beginning to feel very much like jousting at windmills...

• Like 2