New Latitudes Member Discount on Beverage Packages Question

Skeletor77

Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread on this topic.  I received my September Latitudes Insider email, and it included this information:  

Take advantage of your September Latitudes Insider offers before they go away! Plus, we’re excited to share that your benefits just received a major upgrade – We’ve lifted restrictions on Dinner for Two benefits and added an Unlimited Open Bar Package discount. 

Looking at the updated Latitude Tier Benefits chart, the discount is now posted as:

Bronze 30%

Silver/Gold 40%

Platinum/Sapphire 45%

Diamond/Ambassador 50%

My question is: do these discounts apply to upgrading from the Free at Sea Unlimited Open Bar to the Premium Plus Package?  Can the discount be retroactively applied, or would you have to cancel and then repurchase?

Thanks in advance.

First thing that jumped to my mind is this is a step on the path towards open bar no longer being a FAS offering that most everyone gets for "free".

Now if I am correct, then this might be a latitudes benefit with actual value.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

Here is the footnote for the Unlimited Open Bar Package Discount

7 Unlimited Open Bar Package discount is applicable when purchasing the Unlimited Open Bar Package. Discount is per person, for qualifying Latitudes guest(s) depending on their Latitudes Tier.

PATRLR may have a good idea .... don't know anyone who purchases the Unlimited Open Bar Package outright rather than having it included in the Free at Sea package

Edited by kjquilts

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

First thing that jumped to my mind is this is a step on the path towards open bar no longer being a FAS offering that most everyone gets for "free".

This is exactly what I was thinking regarding the discount.  However, it would be hard to have to pay for the drink package after so many years of having it for "free".  If that is the case, I wonder if cruise prices are going to decrease.

• Haha 1

Man I hope they don’t remove the Beverage package from the FAS offers (being over $100pppd is a crazy high number, and it isn’t like their drinks are a bit….watered down).  If they do, I may switch over to Celebrity since they have everything included and the prices are similar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

My exact thought as well. I think they are setting things up for it to be removed. And, quite frankly, that would suck.

50 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

Is there a rule with free at sea limited to first two in cabin? My sons are 21 and 22 and sapphire. If they stay in cabin with us i would have to pay for their booze (God forbid) !

No, the beverage package (PBP) is applicable to adult guests 1-8 if any others in the stateroom select the PBP promo. Your sons would only be charged the 20% on the package price ($99pppd or $109pppd is the retail price).

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jmele999 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking regarding the discount.  However, it would be hard to have to pay for the drink package after so many years of having it for "free".  If that is the case, I wonder if cruise prices are going to decrease.

I couldn't understand it either.  Your explanation above is one possibility, another is that it's a false benefit, like the Internet discount.  That's not valid for the upgraded package that everyone needing unlimited Internet might buy, just for the ala carte, $29.99/day option (which, like purchasing the stand alone beverage package, would make no sense.)

Edited by phillygwm

25 minutes ago, kasimir said:

I am more curious if the discount applies when upgrading to the premium beverage package?

I put the Premium Plus package in my cart to test it and it didn't reflect a discount.  Really, if you're going to do P+, it will usually make more sense to go with FAS+.  For the extra $15/day ($7 for solo travelers) you get unlimited Internet, a couple more premium dinners, and an extra excursion discount assuming you have a second traveler.

I was going to purchase these things separately on board, and I have a $200 non-ref. OBC which I was going to apply.  But it doesn't make sense.  I'll just have to have one of those milkshakes everyone raves about.  Like, every day. 🙂

• Like 1