NCL docking at San Pedro Port, Advice on visiting La Brea Tar Pits ?

CDcord

42 minutes ago, CDcord said:

Our NCL Cruise next month has one day at the San Pedro port (7:00am-4:00pm). We would like to see the La Brea Tar Pits. Looks to be a 55 min. car ride. Any advice?

It can be significantly more than that if you hit it at the wrong time of day with traffic. It's essentially a medium sized park with a Tar Pits museum-- it won't take you very much time to see. If the trip up was only to see the Tar Pits themselves I'm not sure if would be worth the time invested in travel but...

You do though have some great sites nearby that are arguable much more impressive like the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, The Petersen Automotive Museum, and Academy of Motion Pictures Museum-- all within walking distance.

Also for lunch you have the nearby LA Farmer's Market which has great food options and will have something for everyone. 

Transportation wise you are best off either renting a car of using Uber/Lyft. If you did use a driver there isn't anything I mentioned above that isn't a short walk from the Tar Pits so its not like you would need several car trips-- just the one from the pier and the return. 

48 minutes ago, CDcord said:

Our NCL Cruise next month has one day at the San Pedro port (7:00am-4:00pm). We would like to see the La Brea Tar Pits. Looks to be a 55 min. car ride. Any advice?

First, the tar pits are very cool.  Second, not sure I would attempt it with LA traffic.  But, if you do I would get off as soon as you can.  The pits don't open until 9:30 AM, but better to be there when they open.  There's plenty of places to grab a cup of coffee or food if you're early.  I would book an Uber RSVP just to be sure I had an early morning ride.  You could wait and book it the day before using the app.  If you get there when they open you could easily be done by noon or 1:00 pm and headed back.  A good driver will know the several ways back to the port if something crazy happens on one of the freeways.