Spouse Insurance Maybe

Titanfan22

Would appreciate input from the many experienced cruisers.

I’m booking an NCL cruise for my wife and I December 30th.  It’s possible my wife will not be able to go due to a work requirement.  I would like to go either way.  The cost is $3000 or so for both of us and $2,600 for me if booked as a solo.  Balcony room only.  Can I get insurance to cover her in case of cancellation?  Is so, how much would she get?  Would we net more than the $400 difference?

Also, what does that do to my reservation?  Do I have to pay for both drink package gratuities even if she does not come?  Thanks in advance!

There are a number of policies that cover cancellation for work reasons. It is better to insure both of you because insurance will reimburse your wife’s prepaid  nonrefundable expenses as well as the single supplement  you will be charged as a result of her cancellation.

Companies such as Nationwide, Travelex, and Travel Insured offer such policies. To be sure you are getting what you need, consult a professional like one of the people at Trip Insurance Store. It does not cost any extra to buy from them because insurance is regulated.

I'm usually a fan of 3rd party travel insurance.

However, if this is your ONLY concern and have no other things you want to share risk on, then, just maybe, NCL's insurance offer might be an option. Their Premium plan offers 90% credit towards a future cruise. 3rd party plans only offer anywhere from 40% to 75%.

The other positive is that with NCL's plan, you have up scheduled sailing time to cancel vs 3rd party where they usually require that you formally cancel 48 hours prior to "Trip Departure", which means when you walk out your front door to get in the car.

However, I'm unsure if you can only purchase for 1 passenger on the booking.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'm usually a fan of 3rd party travel insurance.

However, if this is your ONLY concern and have no other things you want to share risk on, then, just maybe, NCL's insurance offer might be an option. Their Premium plan offers 90% credit towards a future cruise. 3rd party plans only offer anywhere from 40% to 75%.

The other positive is that with NCL's plan, you have up scheduled sailing time to cancel vs 3rd party where they usually require that you formally cancel 48 hours prior to "Trip Departure", which means when you walk out your front door to get in the car.

However, I'm unsure if you can only purchase for 1 passenger on the booking.

Maybe I am missing something obvious here, but I think @Babr's approach makes a lot of sense.  The only caveat is the OP has to make sure the cancel for work reason language will fit his wife's potential situation. Each policy with this feature will be a little different.  TripInsuranceStore will be helpful with the plans they offer.

Here is my concern with the NCL approach. If wife canceled for a non covered reason, NCL's plan would provide the 90% FCC. But then, NCL would most likely charge the OP a single supplement.  This normally would double his base cruise fare, and he would have to pay it in cash.

To illustrate, I will assume some numbers. 

• Per person cruise fare - $1100
  • Per person taxes and fees - $400
  • Single supplement - $1100 (same as base cruise fare)
  • Total cost for two people - $3000 ( $1100 + $1100 + $400 + 400)

If the wife had the NCL insurance (lets assume for simplicity it had a $0 premium) and she cancelled, here is what would most likely happen.

• Cash back - $400 (the taxes and fees)
  • FCC back - $990 (90% of $1100)
  • Single supplement charged to OP - $1100
  • End result to the OP is $3700 to sail as a single, plus a $990 credit to use on a future cruise.  ($3000 - $400 + 1100)  

With the other approach and a covered reason, the end cost to the OP to sale alone would be $1500 and no FCC.  He paid $3000, NCL refunds $400, insurance refunds $1100 and insurance refunds the $1100 single supplement. Of course the cost of the insurance should be included in any real calculations.

I have personally run into this situation with Holland America and asked what would happen if one person cancelled and the other decided to go alone.  My example above illustrates that.  I have seen other posts (not sure which cruise lines) recommend not canceling the wife and just showing up.  Some people who did this said they were not charged the single supplement once on board, and in some cases they received a refund of the taxes and fees for the no show passenger.  I would never count on this approach unless I had no better option.

A little long winded, but hopefully it offers some thoughts for the OP.

Edited by Jersey42

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'm not disagreeing with Babr. Never have, never will.

I just provided the OP with an option to consider

If the OP cannot find an acceptable policy that covers work related cancelations, I have no question that your suggestion is the next best alternative. There is just a big difference in net costs between the two approaches.  So, I would not recommend the NCL CFAR approach without first considering polices that allow cancelation for work reasons.

While I may occasionally disagree with minor points, I always find both yours and Babr's posts both enlightening and helpful 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1