Alternative to Marine Traffic??

bazzaw

Have been trying to follow Stu ( Kiwi Cruiser) voyage on Majestic Princess- but Marine Traffic website does not show where the ship actually is somwhere between LA and Honolulu( without paying to see via satellite) . My understanding is that the AIS system only works close to shore??  Actually, wife and I got a bit alarmed yesterday when the Marine Traffic website said that the ship was proceeding at 20 knots in a direction 025 degress - ie back to Los Angeles 🙂 it's still showing that today. 

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Have been trying to follow Stu ( Kiwi Cruiser) voyage on Majestic Princess- but Marine Traffic website does not show where the ship actually is somwhere between LA and Honolulu( without paying to see via satellite) . My understanding is that the AIS system only works close to shore??  Actually, wife and I got a bit alarmed yesterday when the Marine Traffic website said that the ship was proceeding at 20 knots in a direction 025 degress - ie back to Los Angeles 🙂 it's still showing that today. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/

1259484575_download(30).thumb.png.e034471790bd6a2ad1f0aa0a7a503438.png

12 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

My understanding is that the AIS system only works close to shore??  

AIS (Automatic identification system) is the equivalent to ships as ADB (Automatic Dependent Surveillance) is to planes. It works everywhere, but the free versions of the tracking sites only include the land based (terrestrial) data.

AIS satellite is available in a limited way to cruisemapper - they only have cruise ships. Their phone app is really handy too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yesterday I decided to download an app for tracking cruise ships. I got very confused by the selection, none of which had really good reviews. Which ones would experienced cruisers recommend for download to my phone?

I used to use Marine traffic (got slow to load - lots of data), then Marine Radar which started to throw up pop-up ads. Currently happy with Cruise Mapper app. The only flaw is if you are looking for movement of tugs/pilot boat etc, they don't show, as it only shows cruise ships.

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

@bazzaw

To note as well. Getting images from most of the tracking sites requires you to take a screen capture, then crop your image out of the capture. With cruisemapper, it is just a matter of right click on the image and save as an image file.