WiFi Daily Cost

80sGal

Does anyone know what the Day rate is for the Wifi Premium package?   I will need Wifi a couple of days on an upcoming cruise to check in on work related things, but don't want to pay for the whole week if I don't have to.   TIA

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

The prices go up Oct 1 FYI...I am not sure what the rate will be then...

Oh that's right...... they're saying prices will be going up 15%.  Too bad wifi speed and reliability aren't going up as well, it's a crime charging so much for such sketchy internet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

Oh that's right...... they're saying prices will be going up 15%.  Too bad wifi speed and reliability aren't going up as well, it's a crime charging so much for such sketchy internet.

It's expensive because it is such a limited resource they're trying to limit how many people sign up for it. Even still, Carnival is 5 years behind their competitors when it comes to their onboard internet.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

I received an email offering the older rates before the price increase. Some sort of special deal. Don't use it so it hit the trash bin quick 🙃

My live reviews just require me 😁

Edited by BasicSailor

5 hours ago, matymil said:

Depending on what you need to do for work and what ship you are on you should possibly get away with the mid tier internet and not the premium. The only real benefit for premium is if you have to use facetime or stream.

I need Zoom.  Will mid-level do Zoom? 

36 minutes ago, karmamule said:

According to a chart someone posted on our cruise's fb page the new daily rates as of October are $20 for value and $30 for premium.

Where did they get those numbers?  Currently the value is $11.05 and the premium is $14.45.  Raising the value aboout $9 and the Premium over $15 doesn't sound right.  That would be over 100% increase for the premium.  Over double!!! Something sounds wrong here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kelkel2 said:

Here’s the description for the Value plan. I don’t think that’s going to work for you. I think you’ll need the premium plan for sure. Especially if it’s for work, I wouldn’t want to take any chances.   

A33EF47F-9A5E-42E0-A054-C009EABB574A.png

Personally if it's for work I'd just take vacation time and not deal with the frustration that is Carnival's lackluster internet.

It is possible to buy Value and try it out, and if you need Premium you can upgrade and pay the difference. Or, visit Guest Services and cancel the purchase altogether.

Edited by mz-s

33 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Where did they get those numbers?  Currently the value is $11.05 and the premium is $14.45.  Raising the value aboout $9 and the Premium over $15 doesn't sound right.  That would be over 100% increase for the premium.  Over double!!! Something sounds wrong here.

I'm not sure where they got the numbers but an article on cruiseradio has the same: https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-room-service-internet-dining-changes-2022/

Excerpt from that page: "If you just need a quick shot of the internet, the new 24-hour value package rate will run $20, and the premium pass will run $30 for the day. "

Also, I think the rates you were quoting are the cost per day when you buy for the length of your cruise. These are on-board rates for purchasing just a single day.

Edited by karmamule

We were on the Horizon last week and paid for the premium internet. Speeds were terrible often .01 mbps. I would hate to see what speeds the regular internet package was. I was able to connect into the company VPN. Not enough bandwidth to stream YouTube at 144p. Wifi calling did not work (Canada-Rogers carrier).

The internet worked for e-mails (slow for any attachments), and my wife said Facebook was ok for low resolution streaming. 

As a comparison, we were on Royal Symphony OTS the week before and had the Vroom Streaming package. It was more $ than Carnival but had a consistent 6-9 mbps. I was able to host/present on a Teams meeting, and Wifi calling worked all week.

Screenshot 2022-09-23 141728.png

• Like 2

Facetime calling worked well on the value plan for me.  I do think it depends where you are located in the ocean when you need to do the call.  If you have AT and T you can use some plans in Mexico and the Carribean.  My husband was able to do a work call from Grand Cayman.  Sea days are dicey especially during the day.