Zululand Tour in Richards Bay, South Africa

50thstate

Azamara had the Zululand tour as an excursion and removed it sometime last year.  I am looking to book a private tour and am looking for suggestions on which tour to choose or to hear from anyone that may have had the experience.  We are on Journey departing Feb. 20, 2023. The tour is from Richards Bay and would be on 2/26/2023.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Pat and John Kirby

We haven’t cruised around South Africa, but visited Zululand a few years ago and travelled around driving ourselves.  Not sure whether that would be safe now, but we had no problems, although there are certain areas to avoid ( as in most places). The Azamara excursions seem to offer game-drive experiences and similar ones seem to be offered through search of independent tour companies.  Of those, my preference would be the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Drive.  The Drakensburg is a wonderful area, including the Battlefields and Rorke’s Drift, but is a 14 hour trip.  Personally speaking, we didn’t enjoy the St.Lucia wetland lake, or the Cultural Village.  There was little to see on or in the lake and the theory behind the village may be well-intentioned, but not to our taste.  I don’t see those options with Azamara and can understand why.

Hope this gives food for thought.  Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi,

I am not on this cruise but was checking out Azamara as we are thinking of trying it. We did a Shakaland day excursion from Richard's Bay several years ago while on Oceania.    I used a company  called Cullinan Guided Tours in Cape Town. We spent the day at Shakaland.  Very touristy but we did enjoy it. Watched dancers perform. Walked around the village. Included a buffet lunch. Funny thing is we sat right next to the Oceania people. Paid much less than they did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 9:51 AM, Kimbasmum said:

We haven’t cruised around South Africa, but visited Zululand a few years ago and travelled around driving ourselves.  Not sure whether that would be safe now, but we had no problems, although there are certain areas to avoid ( as in most places). The Azamara excursions seem to offer game-drive experiences and similar ones seem to be offered through search of independent tour companies.  Of those, my preference would be the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Drive.  The Drakensburg is a wonderful area, including the Battlefields and Rorke’s Drift, but is a 14 hour trip.  Personally speaking, we didn’t enjoy the St.Lucia wetland lake, or the Cultural Village.  There was little to see on or in the lake and the theory behind the village may be well-intentioned, but not to our taste.  I don’t see those options with Azamara and can understand why.

Hope this gives food for thought.  Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you very much for your reply

On 10/2/2022 at 5:19 AM, Mrs f. said:

Hi,

I am not on this cruise but was checking out Azamara as we are thinking of trying it. We did a Shakaland day excursion from Richard's Bay several years ago while on Oceania.    I used a company  called Cullinan Guided Tours in Cape Town. We spent the day at Shakaland.  Very touristy but we did enjoy it. Watched dancers perform. Walked around the village. Included a buffet lunch. Funny thing is we sat right next to the Oceania people. Paid much less than they did.

Thank you very much for your reply

• 1 month later...

From what I understand, Shakaland has been closed . It seems they were hit pretty hard during the pandemic.  I did book a private tour with "Tours by Locals" that is personalized to our interests and take us to other areas to experience the Zulu culture.

You may want to check them out

toursbylocals.com

• Like 1