Anyone want to take a guess of when HAL will release more itineraries for Fall 2023 into Winter 2024/

LAFFNVEGAS

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It just seems to have a better flow.  

Toilets are straight if I remember correctly 😛.  I can’t remember what I liked on the nieuw statendam either but I know it’s my fav.  They could actually do proper accounting something that seems to allude the koningsdam.

13 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How did they innovate? Serious question, I have no idea.

The 21 day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco was wonderful.  New ports like Wrangell, Valdez.  

Lots of EXC activities with locals onboard to educate the passengers about life in Alaska.  The 14 day cruises went to Kodiak and Homer and into the port of Anchorage.

HAL modified the Yukon land tours to make them more efficient by adding flights where the bus trips covered large land areas.  I’m not convinced that was a good move.

HAL invested a lot of funds to improve the McKinley Chalets at Denali.

HAL invested (as part of a group) in the White Pass railroad in Skagway.

Things were looking really good for HAL in Alaska before the Covid shut down.

I don’t care for the switch from Seward to Whittier but I suspect they had plans to develop that port.  It did improve the train access to Denali.  Princess has been sailing out of Whittier for years and Seward was taking on more and more ships as more cruise lines moved into the Alaska market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

The 21 day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco was wonderful.  New ports like Wrangell, Valdez.  

Lots of EXC activities with locals onboard to educate the passengers about life in Alaska.  The 14 day cruises went to Kodiak and Homer and into the port of Anchorage.

HAL modified the Yukon land tours to make them more efficient by adding flights where the bus trips covered large land areas.  I’m not convinced that was a good move.

HAL invested a lot of funds to improve the McKinley Chalets at Denali.

HAL invested (as part of a group) in the White Pass railroad in Skagway.

Things were looking really good for HAL in Alaska before the Covid shut down.

I don’t care for the switch from Seward to Whittier but I suspect they had plans to develop that port.  It did improve the train access to Denali.  Princess has been sailing out of Whittier for years and Seward was taking on more and more ships as more cruise lines moved into the Alaska market.

Thank you for the explanation.  Hopefully that will pay off for them going forward.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’d love to see the Rotterdam do Alaska.  Alaska isn’t my favorite because I get enough of cold weather at home (where I live, not in my house 🙄) but I could be tempted by the Rotterdam.  

The Rotterdam so far is slatted for doing Norway runs in fall of 2024

On 10/3/2022 at 4:48 AM, Mary229 said:

I think the Covid restrictions in Asia are a major scheduling issue for the Pacific.  I am not sure what is going on with the Caribbean/Atlantic.  I wonder if they are even going to try to compete there or if CCL is going to do some weird consolidations for that region.  They put Princess in Texas now in what appears to be a trial run, they moved some Costa over to California in an interesting marketing experiment.  There is definitely some experimentation going on.

Wow Costa to California   .Who wants to sail costa ?

In truth the problem for cruising today is not as much the cabin cost but much higher airfare s ,hotels & meals outside of the ship  ro get to a cruise port  .There are those people who can & would drive  to the port  & that can work for several states ;but ,if  a person is in the mud west ,Canada or europe ,the cost of  taking any cruise can be very expensive today & what about  costs tomorrow when inflation   is worse   .

Even those who can drive  to a ship with gas prices rising again ,it has to impact the cruise business like other luxuries  

• Like 1

San Diego  cruise port & the World Cruise Center in San Pedro  are as far as we want to travel from our home here in coastal north County San Diego   .We did our flying years back  .The only one cruise that we might consider in rthe future with a one way air is a 3rd Panama Canal cruise 

I gave HAL some great options from San Diego  . Here are some  :

.continue with Hawaii ,Mexican Riviera  & Coastal California cruises 

.Add a round trip SD to south America 

.Add  a partial Panama Canal cruise with Mexican port stops like  Lapaz,  &  Alcapulco   

.Add  a  round trip SD to Alaska  

Edited by mcrcruiser

Or  CCL may  have to moth ball some of their ships  . 

Being the stock market is struggling   with a deepening  world wide recession   that in addition to inflation is making the wealth factor for many people disappear  . Thus ,cruising is part of the wealth factor   

This is why when we book any cruise we add in protection against  Cruise line    going BK 

The only thing that is still holding up  so far is  housing prices   yet we are now seeing cracks in lowering prices  in some areas of the country .forget new start up housing  with mortgage money now over 6%    .

This &the   other factors above   have adverse effects on how cruises are selling now & in the future  . 

We can only  hope for the best & that HAL survives this  CCL  high debt mess 

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

San Diego  cruise port & the World Cruise Center in San Pedro  are as far as we want to travel from our home here in coastal north County San Diego   .We did our flying years back  .The only one cruise that we might consider in rthe future with a one way air is a 3rd Panama Canal cruise 

I gave HAL some great options from San Diego  . Here are some  :

.continue with Hawaii ,Mexican Riviera  & Coastal California cruises 

.Add a round trip SD to south America 

.Add  a partial Panama Canal cruise with Mexican port stops like  Lapaz,  &  Alcapulco   

.Add  a  round trip SD to Alaska  

Years ago HAL did have a partial Panama Canal cruise round trip from San Diego.  Now might be a good time to consider bringing it back.  Round Trip San Diego to Alaska would be an interesting itinerary of 21 days!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

Years ago HAL did have a partial Panama Canal cruise round trip from San Diego.  Now might be a good time to consider bringing it back.  Round Trip San Diego to Alaska would be an interesting itinerary of 21 days!

The foreign port would or could be Victoria    Vancouver  Island  , This is imo far better than the city of Vancouver BC   .I can see SD to SF to  Astoria Oregon  then to Ketchican , Juneau ,  Shagway ,  Juneau  & Sitka with Glacier Bay  . then  to Victoria  to  SantaBarbara to Catalina to San Diego   .A very nice cruise  with  a great mix of ports 

• Like 2