Independent Tour Panama- Pay up front?

Bluecat25

We are headed to Panama in a few weeks on The Liberty. We weren't thrilled with our choices of tours off the ship. Independent Tours are hard to find there, so we don't have a whole lot of options. 2 to be exact. One has been getting both positive and negative feedback on these boards. The other one we have been corresponding with, Gold Coast Tour, about a day excursion. They have a great website, I have been able to speak to the owner on the phone, and I have seen positive things about them on this site. However, they have requested a half deposit up front, sent to an address in Virginia, and the rest of the money upfront when we arrive in Colon. In other words, we pay for the entire tour before we even leave the dock. Does anyone else have any experience with this tour company? Would you do this? We are talking a large amount of money because we have 8 in our group. Thanks in advance for replies.

No experience with them, but it sounds too risky to me.... At least with the ships excursions, you know if there is an itinerary change or a problem, you wont lose money.... Its worth the extra $$$ for security. If the company you are asking about got good reviews and people said they got their money back if there were problems, it would be worth the risk. but it sounds like too big an unknown. Is it worth the stress worrying about it? See if you can convince them to take the reservation without the deposit. They may be willing.......

I say dont do it on their terms.....

(Im on Liberty 3/18 to Panama too)

Everything else that I've read says that the Colon area is risky. I've seen a couple of posts where people have picked up tour guides and taxis at the pier, only to find out the car is barely running. I'd hate to have a breakdown somewhere, and not be able to get back to the ship. Of course, it's not like I have a picture of the cars she uses either. We're on the same cruise you are, 3/18. Have you been to Panama before?

no... never been there....

We have 8 ppl too..... some want to do Carnival's panama canal tour.... Im not all the excited about 2 hour bus there, and a bus back..... to sit on a boat to go through some locks..all for about $190 pp.

I kind of like the idea of taking a taxi to see the canal.

Im up in the air and my wife is content to leave it in my hands.....<sigh> too many decisions.

We also have decided to do a private excursion on our Legend cruise in Panama. They also requested a small deposit to confirm, I paid it to someone in Indiana. I was very hesitant at first but I confirmed many positive experiences with them from many sources. They emailed me after they received my payment. Please be carefull in Panama and make sure you get some feedback from people who have completed the excursion you are going on. I am using myfriendmario in panama. I am not familiar with the group you are going with. Hope it turns out great for you.

I agree with most posters who will say never pay upfront and if you do, make sure you do your homework and know who you are dealing with.

I agree. I think this is our sixth cruise, and this one has been the most difficult in terms of deciding what we are doing in ports. I have read mixed things about picking up taxis at port. My Friend Mario seems to pick people up at the pier. He gets good reviews on his trips, but I don't know if he actually does the canal. He has gotten some negatives though on leaving people behind that have paid his deposit up front. Those who take his trip enjoy them.

I was writing the same time you were Springfire. Just be sure you get off the Legend in a timely fashion. If you search the boards, you will find a guy who put down a deposit for a large group, and half of them were left behind. He said My Friend Mario sold their seats at the pier and left a large portion of his group without tours, I think about 14 people. This was a fairly recent post.

I have also heard some people don't like myfriendmario, but for the most part, they seem to have the best reviews of everyone that I have read. They always get you back before the ship leaves, that is important to me.

Do you go through the Canal? The reason why I am asking this is--We were on the Princess Coral and went through Gatun Lock. Unless you have a boat plan trip scheduled you are not allowed off the ship.

Plus I would never pay for something before I went unless it was from the ship. You have a 100% chance of getting you $ back.:)

I haven't heard of any ships not making Panama. Myfriendmario shows up even if the ship is late. Of course risk is a factor, but most people prefer the good independent excursions because of smaller groups and being able to get around at a quicker pace. The excursions on the ship are so overpriced and just not as good as the private excursions, I have never had a bad experience on a private excursion, but everyone has to make their own decision on what works best for them.

I was in Panama on the Liberty 2/18 sailing where my group of 8 adults did a private tour with Patrick of Adventures in Panama.

Pedro M. Garcia

Director

No Tours Just Adventures!

------------------------------------------------------------

Toll Free Number: 1-877-726-6222

Phone: (507) 236-8146 Fax: (507) 236-2275

e-mail: director@adventuresinpanama.com

web: www.adventuresinpanama.com

I have listed the contact and website above. In @ 7 hours we could not believe what we saw in Panama - Embera Indians, Panama City, ruins and the locks to name a few. Patrick was a knowledgable tour guide who made us feel comfortable. Adventures in Panama requires you to pay up front through PayPal.

Pedro, "Panama Pete", answered all of all of our phone calls and e-mails. We found the company to be very professional and they worked with us to plan our wonderful excursion.

We usually prefer to book independent excursions but not always. Our cruise stopped in Colon a couple years ago and we didn't consider anything other than staying with the ship tours. It is a very dangerous place. Take a look at any travel book on Panama and they strongly warn you about Colon. Some of them even say 'If you're thinking about going to Colon, DON'T"

Also, taking a long day tour adds more risks like someone else mentioned - vehicle problems, etc.

The ship gave more warnings about getting off in Colon than I've ever seen, even in Caracas, Venezuela. They recommended removing ALL jewelry and watches. I wore a cheap water watch that day and only brought disposable cameras instead of my expensive ones.

I do have to mention that there is a 2 story open air mall at the port that was heavily patrolled with armed guards. We felt comfortable shopping there. Of all the places where we've been on 11 cruises, we had the most fun shopping there. We like buying local crafts and bought a lot there for great prices.

Our tour operator grew up in Colon. I have found newspaper articles written in Panama where he was quoted as a long time resident and tour guide. Our tour is actually taking us to Portobello. I don't expect to go to Colon, but I don't know how close it is to the port. The tour guide will meet us at the escalator in port. I'll be sure to do a write up when we get back.

It was part of my group that was left behind in Panama. We sent Mario a $500 deposit the month before our tour. We were taking a chance, but we figured if he was a "no show", we'd only lose about 7 bucks a person. Well, half of our group was loaded onto 2 buses and the other 2 buses were for our group as well. Unfortunately, there wasn't any room left for about 14 of us. He sold our seats! We booked more than he had buses for. Now, I feel we should have received priorty boarding since we did send him a substantial deposit. JUST BE CAREFUL!! I think Mr. Mario has become a money hungry greedy man. We were talking to one of the local tour operators (whom actually took us on our tour and for less $$) and he said Mario comes down from Panama City and the locals are not happy because he is stealing their business. I guess it is tough to earn a living there, and he is trying to monopolize the industry there. We did find a sweet hard working tour operator that took us to the canal and the Indian village. We didn't have time for anything else because we stood in the parkinglot from 7:10- 8:30 arguing with Mario.

It was part of my group that was left behind in Panama. We sent Mario a $500 deposit the month before our tour. We were taking a chance, but we figured if he was a "no show", we'd only lose about 7 bucks a person. Well, half of our group was loaded onto 2 buses and the other 2 buses were for our group as well. Unfortunately, there wasn't any room left for about 14 of us. He sold our seats! We booked more than he had buses for. Now, I feel we should have received priorty boarding since we did send him a substantial deposit. JUST BE CAREFUL!! I think Mr. Mario has become a money hungry greedy man. We were talking to one of the local tour operators (whom actually took us on our tour and for less $$) and he said Mario comes down from Panama City and the locals are not happy because he is stealing their business. I guess it is tough to earn a living there, and he is trying to monopolize the industry there. We did find a sweet hard working tour operator that took us to the canal and the Indian village. We didn't have time for anything else because we stood in the parkinglot from 7:10- 8:30 arguing with Mario.
Umm sue we were on one of the buses.. and had room for about 14 or 15.. but we didnt want the troublemaker on our tour,,,if you remember correctly that was the same guy who gave the tour operator the day before grief... and came out on the pier later then everyone else.. we all made it on time, but i dont have to tell you how he was behaving you were there you know..and if memory serves, he was insisting on a private bus for just his group, didnt want to share a bus with the rest of us, as a whole i was quite happy with the tour.

We're not using Mario just because of the negatives he has gotten on this board. We are using a local company from Colon.

Bluecat i understand :) but my statement from above just means you dont always get an honest story there could be another side. I agree you should go with what you feel safest with doing!!!! hubby and i and another couple we went with all feel we would do another tour with mario

In any case y our enjoy your cruise!!!also in costa rica took the charlie santos tour was great our bus actually got to do the whole tour including the beach bar and going shopping for coffee, a word to the wise... let the tour guide suggest what coffee.. hubby says the coffee is awesome...( i dont drink it) and he asked me to pull the website up online to order more, in the local grocery store there it is like 2.89 or something... on line its 7.25 plus 15.00 for shipping... lol so its a very good deal to buy it there and bring it home

Again Enjoy your cruise!!!

Nanc

I'm also trying to decide what to do in Panama. Would like to see the locks, etc. Is mario arranging something like this? I don't have a big group, in fact....just me. Any ifo would be helpful.

Archived