Partner can’t travel

Disneydiva113011

We have a family cruise booked for December with my parents and siblings, it’s all booked and paid for but my partner now is very unlikely to get the time off work due to a new job. We are both happy that I still go if he isn’t able to but don’t know if we need to notify them or if he can just not turn up! Any advice - I’m not expecting refund if he can’t travel, just don’t want it to cause any issues on the day.

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

I guess it depends how you booked cabins and who is in them and what was the offers . Think you need to contact p and o or your travel agent 

I agree, I would check to be on the safe side.

As stated above, it depends how you booked cabins and who is in them.

P&O's Booking Conditions No. 5 says "A Guest shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two or more berths unless the single person supplement is paid. If a cancellation results in a guest becoming the sole occupant of a cabin with two or more berths, he/she shall be liable to pay the single person supplement. If a cancellation reduces the number of guests originally booked in a cabin together, the remaining guests shall each be liable to pay any increase in the price arising as a result of such reduction."

I hope it all works out okay for you. But, as you can see, it's not as simple as the booked person just not turning up for the cruise. The last cruise that my late partner and I booked together, it looked like he might not be well enough to go. His daughter nonchalantly said to me, "Well if Dad's not able to go, you'll have the cabin all to yourself." Having studied P&O's Booking Conditions when it looked possible that Clive wouldn't be able to travel, I knew it wouldn't be as simple as she thought. In the end, he went with me on the cruise, but was very ill and passed away a few months later.

If your partner cant travel you have to occupy the cabin on your own. If you had booked that cabin as a solo cruiser you would have paid the fare for one of a couple plus a single supplement somewhat less than the fare for the second person. I would expect you to be able to cruise but don't expect any form of rebate. P&O will get the original price of the cabin. Don't tell them until the last minute in case they want to cancel you and sell the cabin to someone else. 

38 minutes ago, david63 said:

Personally I wouldn't do anything until nearer the time as situations can change - however the way that P&O's Customer Service is these days I would not expect much, if any, sympathy or help.

Just out of interest what would you expect p&o to do

Reading the OP's post she is saying that she's not looking for any form of money returned so the second fare remains paid.  Therefore I cannot see any reason it will be a problem to notify P&O nearer the time he's not travelling but she is.

My ill fated Princess cruise in July was a booking for three people in two cabins.  Once the ship sailed and they knew my aunt's friend would not be onboard they moved me into the empty cabin and opened up the balcony.  For good measure they gave us $50 obc too as they were happy to have three fares.  The difference between the double occupancy cabin and the single was £400 so they received £7,000 for the three passengers and were very happy.

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Just out of interest what would you expect p&o to do

What would I expect, or what would I think they should do? The two are not the same!

I would expect them to make you jump through hoops whilst quoting their T&Cs and possibly expecting the payment of a single supplement.

What I would think that they should do is say OK you can be on your own in the cabin and it not cost any more - Oh and we are sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

23 hours ago, david63 said:

What would I expect, or what would I think they should do? The two are not the same!

I would expect them to make you jump through hoops whilst quoting their T&Cs and possibly expecting the payment of a single supplement.

What I would think that they should do is say OK you can be on your own in the cabin and it not cost any more - Oh and we are sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

Ok interesting answer so that rule should become standard, and no terms and conditions should include anything that you might find wrong.

Okay, well everyone knows I love facts and figures ... just done some current price research on December cruises, one for each vessel. I priced a balcony cabin for 2 and then 1 person.  It's actually quite interesting.  First figure in each case is Saver Fare, second is Select Fare and first price is 2 people and second price single.

N233 - £7598/£10598   £6078/£8274

A228 - £1598/1998   £799/£999

B228 - £3476/£4938   £2721/£3699

R218 - £3998/£4598   £3198/£3557

K203 - £4938 (only select available) £3839

G239 - £1298/£1558   £1038/£1219

J222 - £2498/£3798    £1998/£2917

As I've no idea if any of these are the OPs sailing or indeed when the booking was made it's hard to quantify exactly.  However in light of the fact she stated she didn't expect any money back and just wants to travel alone these current fares show P&O would be mad to not let her do so unless she'd paid a remarkably low price on booking.  The single supplement in no way makes up as at today for the fare for two people.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

My mother is paying £500 less than a double occupancy for a standard balcony cabin in September 2023, she was offered a de-luxe balcony for £10 less than the price she is paying for the cabin booked.

As she is joining the rest of us she didn't take up the offer as it seemed a bit pointless being in a different area of the ship - we now have four cabins in a row booked.

• Like 2