Blue Cross

carlp

33 minutes ago, carlp said:

so we have travel insurance with my company insurance -BCBS

if we needed medical treatment on one of the caribbean islands -

how do you know if any hospitals will accept that insurance

Your choices may be limited if any.  Unless your policy has agreements in place and your directory of participating facilities lists hospitals in the Caribbean, expect to pay out of pocket and file for reimbursement later. Take a credit card with a high limit available.

Get more details. If it partners with GeoBlue, you’ll need to find the list of participating doctors and facilities. That information should be available in your plan documents or call to find out.

Edited by Babr

Before I retired, my company provided BC/BS and it did include an International Rider.

However, please understand that once out of the US, if there are any healthcare providers that will just bill directly to the insurance company, I'm not aware of them. YOU pay the bill, then when you get home you file for reimbursement. There is no requirement for them to do that. I've done this on a couple of occasions.  BC/BS will only reimburse you at the Out of Network rates also.

As a side note, here in the US, your physician and/or hospital direct bill your insurance as a convenience to you the patient.

Edited by klfrodo