Baggage transfers hotel to ship

CJANDH

We are cruising on Splendor from Miami in December and staying in the Regent pre-cruise hotel. My question is: can I leave my checked luggage outside my room for Regent to transport to the ship and then go independently to the ship after some business in town? Will the bags go straight to our suite or do we have to identify them at the cruise port before they are taken to the ship. I am concerned about the timing of our arrival at the ship to check in and the timing of the luggage arrival at the port. Thanks in advance for advice from anyone who has had this need. Chris.

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

We are cruising on Splendor from Miami in December and staying in the Regent pre-cruise hotel. My question is: can I leave my checked luggage outside my room for Regent to transport to the ship and then go independently to the ship after some business in town? Will the bags go straight to our suite or do we have to identify them at the cruise port before they are taken to the ship. I am concerned about the timing of our arrival at the ship to check in and the timing of the luggage arrival at the port. Thanks in advance for advice from anyone who has had this need. Chris.

That is exactly what happened on our Splendor cruise in March. We were instructed to leave luggage outside assigned hotel room by 8 embarkation morning and they were delivered to our suite without us having to handle them. Very smooth process. Regent will give instructions to follow and you just have to show up onboard and luggage should be in your suite. Just make sure to fill in supplied tags for your suite. 

We just disembarked the Mariner this morning.  When we began the cruise, Regent instructed us to register with their agent in the hotel upon our arrival how many bags we wanted them to transport to the ship. They then told us to leave them inside the room by the door by 8am. 

We went to their supplied breakfast buffet.  By the time we returned, the bags were missing and showed up at our suite.  The other carry one we didn't want them to transport was still in our room.

BTW we decided to take others advice from Cruise Critic about not using the bus to the cruise terminal so we took an Uber.  We arrived before the masses who  used the Regent transportation.  As a result our embarkation process was much shorter than others who arrived with the masses.

Don't worry. It was a wonderful experience not having to deal with it on embarkation day.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

You need to check with the representative at the hotel, many times we were required to confirm that our bags were present before boarding the bus.  One time the bag had not been collected yet and the had to send someone to go get it.  I am not sure if I have ever been where the bags were shipped separately from the bus, but once the ba was identified it went to the ship and our room with no further contact from us.

6 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

You need to check with the representative at the hotel, many times we were required to confirm that our bags were present before boarding the bus.  One time the bag had not been collected yet and the had to send someone to go get it.  I am not sure if I have ever been where the bags were shipped separately from the bus, but once the ba was identified it went to the ship and our room with no further contact from us.

Same experience here last November. Bags were not loaded on the bus until owners confirmed that their bags were accounted for.

Hmm, so I'm seeing mixed results.  Since this will be our situation in Miami in January, I'll ask the Regent rep at the pre-cruise hotel and see.  We will be driving our own car to the port, and can easily take our own bags with us, but it might be handy to send them on the bus.

I have seen recommendations to take a taxi/Uber from the Regent hotel, included in our cruise, so as to arrive ahead of the bus.  However, since we are embarking from Rome, I don't know if I want to spend that much extra for the hour's drive to the port.  What do you think?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, IrishKathy said:

I have seen recommendations to take a taxi/Uber from the Regent hotel, included in our cruise, so as to arrive ahead of the bus.  However, since we are embarking from Rome, I don't know if I want to spend that much extra for the hour's drive to the port.  What do you think?  Thanks.

I’d say its more than an hour from the center of Rome to the Civitavecchia port. I wouldn’t take a taxi, but there are plenty of good car services.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IrishKathy said:

Where's your hotel?  I know that Regent sometimes chooses properties that are not in the centre of Rome.  Car services can be expensive; we shared one with another couple on our single Azamara cruise, but then transportation to the port was not included.  So I'd probably go with the Regent bus.

We well remember a Regent bus transfer in Rome when the bus broke down (twice) on the way to the port; at one point blocking the motorway slip road to the annoyance of other road users.

We got to know our fellow passengers during that interesting journey ………… especially those who could converse with the Italian driver in more than just sign language and others who advised on rudimentary engine mechanics 🤨

• Haha 1