Vorringfossen Step Bridge from Eidfjord excursion?

Zukini

I've been looking around to see if any excursions from Eidfjord (cruise line or independent) would allow us to visit the Voringfossen Step Bridge.  Many mention viewing Voringfossen, but are a little vague about where they go and for how long (I'm presuming they go to the observation platform above the falls near the Fossli Hotel).  Does anyone have any info on an excursion that would allow us to see the step bridge, or would we be better off renting a car and viewing it on our own?

• 2 months later...

I have been searching for this information as well.  Currently the one listed as a potential on our Viking cruise goes to the waterfall and then to a small boat fjord cruise—and runs $160 per person.  I don’t want to do a fjord cruise. I would prefer not to rent a car, but that may be our best option.  I will see if anyone else replies.

5 hours ago, Spurlady said:

I have been searching for this information as well.  Currently the one listed as a potential on our Viking cruise goes to the waterfall and then to a small boat fjord cruise—and runs $160 per person.  I don’t want to do a fjord cruise. I would prefer not to rent a car, but that may be our best option.  I will see if anyone else replies.

Spurlady, I still haven't had any luck finding info here or on TripAdvisor.  I did find a company that rents tiny Twizy e-cars in Eidfjord, but they haven't replied to any of my emails, so I'm not sure if they're even in business any more, or if Eidfjord is just so small that the tourist-oriented business close down for the winter.  If I ever find anything definitive, I'll post back on this thread.  Our trip is at the end of July 2023.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, Zukini said:

I've been looking around to see if any excursions from Eidfjord (cruise line or independent) would allow us to visit the Voringfossen Step Bridge.  Many mention viewing Voringfossen, but are a little vague about where they go and for how long (I'm presuming they go to the observation platform above the falls near the Fossli Hotel).  Does anyone have any info on an excursion that would allow us to see the step bridge, or would we be better off renting a car and viewing it on our own?

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but this web site about the Step Bridge project includes the following:

"Vøringsfossen is the largest waterfall in Norway and the third most visited tourist attraction, next to the Vigeland Sculpture Park and the Holmenkollen ski jump in Oslo. The project covers a large area, including a visitor center, a walkway over the waterfall, various viewpoints, and service facilities. The area also includes an existing hotel."   [emphasis added]

https://www.metalocus.es/en/news/opening-voringsfossen-waterfall-step-bridge-carl-viggo-holmebakk

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but this web site about the Step Bridge project includes the following:

Thanks, Turtles06.  I've seen that article before, and it's probably the one that originally piqued my interest about the step bridge. Unfortunately, all of the cruise excursions I've been able to find that stop at the hotel really only allow a short time at the adjacent scenic overlook and not enough time to hike down to the step bridge. Best bet is likely going to be a rental or a Twizy, but I suppose I'll need to be patient until the local businesses start returning emails when the dark season ends.

48 minutes ago, Zukini said:

Thanks, Turtles06.  I've seen that article before, and it's probably the one that originally piqued my interest about the step bridge. Unfortunately, all of the cruise excursions I've been able to find that stop at the hotel really only allow a short time at the adjacent scenic overlook and not enough time to hike down to the step bridge. Best bet is likely going to be a rental or a Twizy, but I suppose I'll need to be patient until the local businesses start returning emails when the dark season ends.

I hope you are able to find something that will work for you!

We have two port calls to Eidfjord this summer, and have booked a ship's tour that will take us to the overlook at the hotel, which I hope will be sufficient for us.  (Frankly, I'm not sure I could even walk out onto the Step Bridge!  😂   More power to you!!)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.  I finally heard back from the tourist bureau in Eidfjord. The e-car business is no longer in operation. Regular auto rentals are available. Taxi tours can be arranged, but not pre-booked, though drivers may extend their waiting time at the falls if you are willing to pay extra.

• 2 weeks later...

booking@eidfjordautorent.no

I heard back from a car rental place in Eidfjord.  It is off season, so they aren’t officially open, but one of the workers replied.  Cars there are NOK 2500 (about $250) for the day.  That is all inclusive(insurance, gas, and second driver).  You don’t need to refill it before returning.  She did mention that they don’t have a lot of cars.  You can cancel ahead with out a penalty and if you can’t dock because of weather, they will refund your money.  
We are going to reserve a car in case we can’t get the Flam excursion. 

• 6 months later...

Following up now that our cruise is done, we did pre-book a taxi tour to Voringsfossen through the tourist office (they contacted me to say that they were now taking reservations). You absolutey cannot extend your time at the falls. The taxis are all pre-booked and are on a strict time schedule, so they strictly adhere to the 30 minute limit. They are also shared: we had a total of 6 passengers in ours. Thirty minutes gave us just enough time to walk down to the step bridge, take a few photos, and get back to the taxi. We could have easily spent 90 minutes at the site, if we had been permitted to.

Even though we were pre-booked, we had to wait on a LONG line to check in at the tourist office.

We were on your sailing @Zukini and we ended up buying bus tickets at the travel office - I don't recall the exact price but it was fairly priced, way less than a ship excursion.  We were given 40min at the waterfall and our ticket price included free coffee, tea or hot chocolate.  It was a nice excursion!

5 minutes ago, queen_kathy1 said:

We were on your sailing @Zukini and we ended up buying bus tickets at the travel office - I don't recall the exact price but it was fairly priced, way less than a ship excursion.  We were given 40min at the waterfall and our ticket price included free coffee, tea or hot chocolate.  It was a nice excursion!

That sounds like it was ideal.  I had contacted that company prior to cruising, but was told that when a ship was in port, they wouldn't take privately booked passengers. Guess that wasn't the case.  We paid about $55USD for the shared taxi (no free hot beverage, alas).  I don't know if the extra 10 minutes would have made a difference...I really could have wandered that area all day!

We used Eidfjord Autorent.  The car was about $250 for the day, all inclusive—less than the cost of the cruise excursions .   We spent at least an hour wondering the falls with no need to rush. Then we drove up to the steppes area and over to the Hardanger Bridge.  Ilyana provided a great map and recommendations.