Best NCL excursion in Kusadasi, Turkey

Analog187

I am between these two tours but I don't really see the difference between them.  The longer one is cheaper which is odd.  Can anyone weigh in on either of these tours?

Ephesus & Terrace Houses

Kusadasi, Turkey

Observe the spectacular ruins in Ephesus, including an excavated complex of residential Terrace Houses that offer great insight into the daily lives of the inh ...

• ADULT $49.00
    3 hours

Magnificent Ephesus

Kusadasi, Turkey

Walk through the excavated ruins in Ephesus, Turkey’s most celebrated archaeological site, and discover how the ruins bring the past vividly to life.

• ADULT $35.00
    4 hours

It sounds like the more expensive one takes you deeper into the excavation park.  

We went in 2008 and there was an area in the front that had some ruins, and the theater where Paul the disciple addressed the Ephesians.  Then beyond that there were more excavations that, back then, were still only partially exposed.  

Here are a couple shots of the site from Google Earth

32206230-F0DC-45BB-B789-B0CB34394F61.png

EB37E4F3-379E-4F78-8629-B9508DEBA7FC.png

MotownVoice is totally correct.  Personally, having spent 5 years exploring those ruins, I would do the tour that includes the terrace houses.  They are a recent opening and I'd love to explore them.

I took a private tour of Ephesus which include the Terrace houses in 2019. For the first timer, the house's tour is superior. We are doing the Magnifcent Ephesus tour next month and assume it does not include the houses. It might even be a "see you in three hours" tour since it is only $35. No mention of a private guide.

The Terrace Houses are an optional (and additionally priced) location at Ephesus.  They are an excavated area that is enclosed in a modern structure off to the side from the Main Street of Ephesus that protects it from the elements.  It is located on a sloping hillside.  You enter the structure at the bottom of the hill and walk along raised metal walkways that look down into the archeological excavations below. You walk up metal steps between the various levels.  This gradually takes you up the hill.  At the top, you exit the structure and walk down a path back into the Main Street of Ephesus.  And then continue thru the rest of your walKing tour.  

The Terrace Houses are considered the crown jewel of Ephesus.  You should try to include them if your plans permit.  They are very interesting. 

it is interesting that the tour with the Houses is shorter than the other tour.  I would wonder if that is actually accurate.  You will likely spend 30-45-60 minutes in the enclosed structure unless they are rushing you. 

Is NCL still only doing 1/2 day in Kusadasi?  That would explain the short durations of both tours.  And it’s barely enough time.  But it’s better than not going at all, I suppose. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

it is interesting that the tour with the Houses is shorter than the other tour.  I would wonder if that is actually accurate.  You will likely spend 30-45-60 minutes in the enclosed structure unless they are rushing you. 

Is NCL still only doing 1/2 day in Kusadasi?  That would explain the short durations of both tours.  And it’s barely enough time.  But it’s better than not going at all, I suppose. 

Yes, only a half day.  That's why I was confused, I figured the more expensive tour was better but couldn't understand why it was shorter.  That didn't seem to make any sense.  

We did this private tour in 2014 and it was amazing! The guide personalized the tour to our pace and because we move FAST, we were able to add a stop at the coolest leather outlet where models gave us a private fashion show! I loved Ephesus but the House of the Virgin Mary was amazing too. I had an incredible feeling of peace there.

Private Tour 4 : Ephesus - Artemis Temple - House of Virgin Mary - Basilica of St John (ephesusshuttle.com)

3 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

We did this private tour in 2014 and it was amazing! The guide personalized the tour to our pace and because we move FAST, we were able to add a stop at the coolest leather outlet where models gave us a private fashion show! I loved Ephesus but the House of the Virgin Mary was amazing too. I had an incredible feeling of peace there.

Private Tour 4 : Ephesus - Artemis Temple - House of Virgin Mary - Basilica of St John (ephesusshuttle.com)

We did Mary's lodge too.  It was hilarious first they explained that all of the water running down hill was considered holy by the attending monks.

Then you see everyone washing their hands in it and filling their water bottles.   Also the same pipes channeling the water down the hill were also supplying the lavatories.

So.   So much for holy. 

4 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

I did this tour also and while it was wonderful, it wouldn't be offered because of the very short time you are there (6:30-12:30.) Personally, I would eliminate House of the Virgin Mary and the Artemis Temple (now a single column in a field.)  Ephesus and the Basilica are wonderful.

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

We did Mary's lodge too.  It was hilarious first they explained that all of the water running down hill was considered holy by the attending monks.

Then you see everyone washing their hands in it and filling their water bottles.   Also the same pipes channeling the water down the hill were also supplying the lavatories.

So.   So much for holy. 

Visitors need the backstory. A nun in Germany who had never been to Turkey had a vision of where Mary's house was. Sixty years later, someone searched for it, and low and behold, they found a little ruin of a house. Archaeologists weren't impressed...  but some people believe it is authentic. That said, I do believe the Apostle John took Mary to Ephesus. The religiosity there is something to behold. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

Visitors need the backstory. A nun in Germany who had never been to Turkey had a vision of where Mary's house was. Sixty years later, someone searched for it, and low and behold, they found a little ruin of a house. Archaeologists weren't impressed...  but some people believe it is authentic. That said, I do believe the Apostle John took Mary to Ephesus. The religiosity there is something to behold. 

Those archaeologists.  So obsessed with the scientific method and "evidence."

pfft.

• Haha 1

I visited Ephesus on a cruise ship excursion offered by a private company, Ephesus Shuttle.  The service was high quality.  The tour guide was excellent.  There was no pressure to visit a carpet store or any other store or restaurants. Options for those who wished to shop or eat were presented politely.

https://www.ephesusshuttle.com/tours/mini-group-tour-1-option-with-terrace-houses?tur_id=22 

I wholeheartedly agree with the others.  Pay the surcharge ($10 from this company) to include a visit to the Terrace Houses.

10 minutes ago, Stuart Suss said:

I visited Ephesus on a cruise ship excursion offered by a private company, Ephesus Shuttle.  The service was high quality.  The tour guide was excellent.  There was no pressure to visit a carpet store or any other store or restaurants. Options for those who wished to shop or eat were presented politely.

https://www.ephesusshuttle.com/tours/mini-group-tour-1-option-with-terrace-houses?tur_id=22 

I wholeheartedly agree with the others.  Pay the surcharge ($10 from this company) to include a visit to the Terrace Houses.

Although it was a while back, I didn’t get exposed to any of that merchandise sales crap at all.   Most of that stuff is in Selcuk a couple miles away anyway.   And even if the tour does try to drag you through a carpet demonstration you just walk off and catch up with the group when they leave.  

Edited by MotownVoice