Travel Medical Insurance; Blue Cross can extend original coverage if going more days

Middleager

Last year before going on the 2022.12.5 NCL Getaway transatlantic cruise, we bought an annual Blue Cross medical insurance, that covers multiple trips of up to 31 days each.  An annual plan is only a few dollars more than one single trip plan, so it was worth it for an annual plan.

We'll be going on a longer trip later this month October, for 48days, and this would go beyond the end of the existing plan (which ends 2022.12.1).  I checked for more annual plans but with first trip for 50d coverage (and other trips up to 31 days), and Blue Cross has much better pricing than ManuLife or other banks.  But I thought maybe I can check with Blue Cross, and extending my existing plan, and yes they can.  So I just bought a single trip plan for 50days, for which they gave discount for the 31 days from existing plan, for about $45/p for my wife and I.  Later when we come back, we can buy new plans when we are ready to travel for future trips.  If we decided to stay longer than 50 days, we can call Blue Cross to extend a few days, so that's also good to know.

Just thought to share this with people who are looking for travel medical insurance.

Edited by Middleager
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we have an Annual Plan with Blue Cross for multiple 17 day trips per year and if the trip (Departure Date to Return Date) is even one minute over 17 calendar days, you have no coverage for the entire trip, not just that extra day. 

Our next trip is 18 calendar days so we bought one extra day (an extra policy in fact) and it cost $23.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, Andy_P said:

Yes we have an Annual Plan with Blue Cross for multiple 17 day trips per year and if the trip (Departure Date to Return Date) is even one minute over 17 calendar days, you have no coverage for the entire trip, not just that extra day. 

Our next trip is 18 calendar days so we bought one extra day (an extra policy in fact) and it cost $23.

Just did exactly that. Our existing one year coverage ends on Nov 18 at midnight, and our flight home from our next trip lands at 5PM on the 19th. Therefore, we would not have been covered AT ALL for the entire trip. I incorrectly assumed that we would have been covered up until the expiry on the 18th, but as you point out, you have to be covered for the entire trip, not just most of it. A simple call to Blue Cross paid for the one year renewal, as well as a two day extension to our existing plan. I figured I would add two days rather than just the one we needed in case we were delayed coming home.

• Like 2