A question about docking in Maghera

millybess

For anyone who has docked in Maghera, is there a ferry to the islands of Murano and Burano?  We have been to Venice and would like to explore the outer islands on our next trip.

If not, is there a train from Maghera to the Santa Lucia station where we could catch a water taxi or a ferry to the islands?

Fieldofdreams this could be a moot topic.  From what I understand, Viking is currently docking in Ravenna -- about 2+ hours away from Venice by bus.  

We spent several days in Venice independently a few years ago and for us it's not worth a long bus ride to return.  We are doing a b2b, so we will be in Venice overnight and will probably explore other options via train -- possibly Bologna or Rimini.

But if you or anyone else has anything to add to this, that would be helpful.  🙂

32 minutes ago, millybess said:

Fieldofdreams this could be a moot topic.  From what I understand, Viking is currently docking in Ravenna -- about 2+ hours away from Venice by bus.  

We spent several days in Venice independently a few years ago and for us it's not worth a long bus ride to return.  We are doing a b2b, so we will be in Venice overnight and will probably explore other options via train -- possibly Bologna or Rimini.

But if you or anyone else has anything to add to this, that would be helpful.  🙂

As reported in another thread here, Viking Sky has been docking in Chioggia recently. It sounds like Viking doesn’t have a regular port for Venice yet, if they ever will. So might depend on the cruise and the season.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, LindaS272 said:

As reported in another thread here, Viking Sky has been docking in Chioggia recently. It sounds like Viking doesn’t have a regular port for Venice yet, if they ever will. So might depend on the cruise and the season.

Thanks, per cruisemapper and other cruise port sites it looks like this trip will be docking in Maghera

On 10/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, millybess said:

Hi Millbess - Hope this helps, from Cruisemapper . Viking Jupiter docking in Maghera 3rd and 4th of October 2023

3 October, 2023
Tuesday
Viking Cruises Cruises cruise lineViking Jupiter    
4 October, 2023
Wednesday
Viking Cruises Cruises cruise lineViking Jupiter
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Thanks, per cruisemapper and other cruise port sites it looks like this trip will be docking in Maghera

Personally, I put little faith in the accuracy of Cruisemapper and the other 3rd party websites. My preference is always to research the port website for the docking schedule.

Failing that, I track previous arrivals using the AIS info on MarineTraffic.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, Fieldofdreams said:

Thanks for asking the question I am interested in the same. Also does anyone know if there is a ferry from the Maghera port that takes you to St. Marks Square or another close by location?

I have done a bit of research and have found out there is a train from Porto Marghera that takes you across the Ponte della Liberta into Venice.  It takes about 7 minutes to Venezia S. Lucia.  

I couldn't find a ferry schedule from Port Marghera, but I have read there is one -- I'm beginning to have my doubts.  However, there is a ferry from Venezia S. Lucia to St. Marks Square.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, millybess said:

I have done a bit of research and have found out there is a train from Porto Marghera that takes you across the Ponte della Liberta into Venice.  It takes about 7 minutes to Venezia S. Lucia.  

I couldn't find a ferry schedule from Port Marghera, but I have read there is one -- I'm beginning to have my doubts.  However, there is a ferry from Venezia S. Lucia to St. Marks Square.

Thanks millybess for the follow up information. Very helpful!

On 10/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, Heidi13 said:

Personally, I put little faith in the accuracy of Cruisemapper and the other 3rd party websites. My preference is always to research the port website for the docking schedule.

Failing that, I track previous arrivals using the AIS info on MarineTraffic.

Hi Heidi13 - Agree with you, checked on the port arrival/departure and as of today, ship is arriving in Maghera but as we all know, this can change at any time. Thank for your input.

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Hi Heidi13 - Agree with you, checked on the port arrival/departure and as of today, ship is arriving in Maghera but as we all know, this can change at any time. Thank for your input.

So true, I've seen the berth change after bringing the pilot onboard.

• Like 1