Covid diagnosis after recent cruises

NW Pacific

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

i travel with my own self-test kits.

i don't think it's the cost that prevents people from getting tested on board. it's the fear of having to be confined to a cabin, and that is why, as you theorize in your post, that an awful lot of people are walking around spreading it, perhaps innocently, perhaps not.

I think it's a combo of things, but when you first contact guest services and all they talk about is confirming that you agree to the costs it can be off putting for some. Then when you confirm there is no mandatory charge, only if you elect for 'consultation' - and when they show up they try to make you sign a form with your test also agreeing to extra costs (which are also optional and not mandatory to sign), it's confusing for some.

Combine that with the stories of how folks get treated once quarantined and the lack of info or misinformation shared... I get why people self test. I'm fine with self testers, provided they don't go and continue to spread their germs to others. Self confine, wear a mask when you leave the room, and don't get on an enclosed bus to sneeze over everyone else.

I was told infection control would contact me, they never did. The only reason I had any info relayed to me at all was because my hubby was talking to the Haven concierge for info, and he would pass it on to me from the concierge. No one told me any rules for disembarkation other than 'wait in your room for us'. At no point did anyone even tell me to wear a mask when retrieving my food deliveries or when leaving the ship. Half the staff that came to delivery my meals wore a mask, the other half didn't. So again, NCL didn't even bother protecting their own employees from known positive guests.

Minor nit picky things, but I was only allowed to order from the MDR menu or room service menu. Only on the last day did they tell me I still had a specialty dining credit and could use it to order food from anywhere I wanted. But no one bothered to provide a copy of any menu to me, so I had no idea what the options were for anything other than family/friends texting me photos while at port. Plus if I wanted a can of soda, they wanted to charge me $5/can despite having the drink package. They ultimately refused to give me cans and brought 2 glasses of soda with ice saran wrapped over the cup opening - which melted into watered down soda within 5 mins. I didn't even bother trying to request an actual cocktail to be brought to me.

I'm glad I was in a large Haven room at least, but lost out on every perk associated with it on those last few days. I certainly didn't want to risk anyone else getting sick, but come on, don't give me a hard time about asking for 1 can of Sprite each day when I'm allowed so much more. You penalize people for doing the right thing, and they're not going to want to comply next time.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2022 at 4:13 PM, cocod08 said:

I ended up with Covid after my cruise to Alaska but I think it came from the airport and the flight home. My flight was much later in the day so I spent a lot of time at SEA-Tec and then a 5+ hour flight home. My positive test was exactly 5 days after my flight. I tested the day before that and was negative. So I'm attributing to the airport time and the flight which was packed. I have been vaccinated with just one booster and this was my first Covid infection.    

Just curious, did you wear a mask at the airport?  The reason I am asking is I have a long overnight flight coming up this week to catch my next cruise.

16 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

You penalize people for doing the right thing, and they're not going to want to comply next time.

Such a simple statement, but the implications are as big as anything can be on this planet.

2 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

Just responded to a similar thread on Celebrity.   My wife and I had a wonderful cruise to Alaska in August.  On the last night we notice the majority of people were coughing (us included).  When we got home we tested positive.  Our illness was not mild but moderate+.  We have no underlying condition, on no meds, triple vaxed and consider ourselves very healthy.  Long story short, I'm still suffering from a cough after more than a month that I can not shake.  If you follow any facebook pages, it seems there are lot of people still getting sick on a 7 day cruise.  

It reminds me our 14-day South America cruise about 15 years ago: after a few first days 70-80 % of passengers were coughing very roughly and with choke including our relatives who were with us (no one cared or was scared from my observation); one of them was still coughing after 2 months from disembarkation!  Life goes on...

Voyage, voyage!!!

On 10/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, Crazy planning mom said:

Just curious, did you wear a mask at the airport?  The reason I am asking is I have a long overnight flight coming up this week to catch my next cruise.

I didn't and now I wished I would have. 

4 hours ago, cocod08 said:

I didn't and now I wished I would have. 

We are in Europe now changing planes in Rome.

We wore a mask and are still wearing a mask 

However, there was a mother and daughter sitting a few feet away from us.  Neither wore a mask and the girl coughed almost the entire time.  She is obviously quite ill.  She didn't even bother to cover her mouth let alone wear a mask.  I pray we didnt catch anything from her.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

On 10/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, UKstages said:

i travel with my own self-test kits.

We travel with our own self-test kits also. We test before all trips we take and after all trips. Our insurance company like most, allows us to receive free self test kits (up to eight test self-test monthly between DH and myself) and we take advantage of this. We can pick them up at CVS or Walgreens absolutely free. We have a b2b2b coming up and we will test before boarding, after each leg as well as any time during should we start showing symptoms.

Returned from the Encore on the September 25th and tested positive the next day.  Could have been the ship, could have been the airplane or anything inbetween.  Who knows.  The illness itself was akin to a cold.  Life moves on......

I always come home from long flights (8+ hrs)  with some kind of respiratory thing, so I decided that I would continue wearing a mask when I fly.  

Last month I took 3 flights to reach Venice ... masked at the airports and during the flights except to eat.  Had 2 days in Venice, masked.  Train to Trieste masked.  A week on the Gem, masked except when eating.  On day 3 of the cruise I developed a cough. Still have it, but I've tested negative for covid 3 times.  My cabinmate developed a cough on day 4 and tested positive the day after returning home. No symptoms other than the cough.

No idea where she got it. No idea how I avoided it.