Britannia (B225) - with Toddler

PhilE123

Hi, 

We are going on our first cruise with our toddler (almost 2), we somewhat recklessly booked this about 7 months ago, and now it is 2 weeks ago we have a bunch of questions! 

Unfortunately the night nursery has been cancelled, which is a significant blow to our plans, so does anyone know if the nursery nurses would be able to do private babysitting (obviously for a cost)? As it would be a shame to not be able to experience the limelight lounge and any of the shows. 

Also, are the headliner theatre shows streamed to the bedroom TVs? As being able to watch it there would be a decent compromise for us, rather than going individually or not watching anything at all. 

Thinking about packing, we will need to take a significant amount of nappies, I tried to ask customer service if they stock any on board in case we run out, but they weren't sure. So does anyone know if any of the shops around the Atrium stock any nappies? (We have a stint of 5 days at sea, so buying on shore isn't possible for the first week or so of the holiday)

Any other hints or tips for having a toddler on the Britannia would also be appreciated! 

Thanks!

I’m sorry to say I think you should have investigated this sooner. I’m pretty sure that with a child of this age you will have to be with them at all times even in the children’s club. Maybe someone has other information.

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.life-on-board.FAQ288.summary

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Once a toddler is part of the trip you need maximum flexibility and work around routine.

Our daughter was a similar age on our first cruise on Ventura (admittedly 13/14 years ago) and we tried the night nursery once, but the rules were the child had to be asleep and if they woke up and didn't settle within a few minutes you were buzzed to collect them.

We managed about half an hour before we were buzzed and never bothered again!  It was a long way to collect her, she was in a real state having woken in a strange room with strangers which lead to a disturbed dinner for us.

It was far easier to get her settled in the cabin, put her in her pushchair and take her with us to dinner and shows and more often than not she just slept through everything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I’m sorry to say I think you should have investigated this sooner. I’m pretty sure that with a child of this age you will have to be with them at all times even in the children’s club. Maybe someone has other information.

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.life-on-board.FAQ288.summary

Yes, we have to be with her in the nursery which is something we weren't bothered about. As a first family holiday we wanted to spend all the daytimes together. Thanks for the info though!

19 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Once a toddler is part of the trip you need maximum flexibility and work around routine.

Our daughter was a similar age on our first cruise on Ventura (admittedly 13/14 years ago) and we tried the night nursery once, but the rules were the child had to be asleep and if they woke up and didn't settle within a few minutes you were buzzed to collect them.

We managed about half an hour before we were buzzed and never bothered again!  It was a long way to collect her, she was in a real state having woken in a strange room with strangers which lead to a disturbed dinner for us.

It was far easier to get her settled in the cabin, put her in her pushchair and take her with us to dinner and shows and more often than not she just slept through everything.

Thank you for this, I hadn't considered what would happen if she woke up in night nursery. Sounds like it would be annoying especially half way through dinner or 10 minutes into the show!

Did you have any issues with putting the pushchair somewhere in the theatre? Glad to hear she slept well, makes everything a lot easier! 

Hi

I would say take all of the nappies you need, they had a couple of small packs and only 1 size both times we have been on.

The shows are not shown on the tvs in the rooms, there are a lot of films but they are mostly really old ones.

We always take a lot of snacks too as the ones in the shop are really expensive and not toddler friendly.

11 hours ago, Mrs applehead said:

Hi

I would say take all of the nappies you need, they had a couple of small packs and only 1 size both times we have been on.

The shows are not shown on the tvs in the rooms, there are a lot of films but they are mostly really old ones.

We always take a lot of snacks too as the ones in the shop are really expensive and not toddler friendly.

This is perfect information! Thank you so much! 

We travelled with GC under 2 ( 1x 11 mnths, 1 x 23mths) not at same time. PO provided little apart from travel cot, baby bath. We took nappies and bought more ashore. Washing bottles was problematic as they promised a steriliser but didn't provide one said it was being used.  Eventually after trying to sterilise in cabin we complained and got them washed in the kitchen. We were told to ask steward in buffet for baby food and this was supplied from behind counter. As someone else said Night nursery hopeless unless child is fast asleep when you arrive and stays asleep. We just pushed GC round deck until asleep and ate then. One of us managed a show not both as we didn't want GC to wake up. Usually found a corner in a bar to put the pram.  You have to stay with your child in nursery if under 2 which in Brittania's case is a small room off the under 5s play area. As the cabin is only cleaned in the morning you need to ask where you can dispose of nappies (particularly smelly ones!).

• Thanks 1