The Great Escape - From Way Before the Beginning Until The End

CruzinMel

So, this topic is mostly for me - although I will be careful to save it someplace else because (who knew!) after a couple of years, Cruise Critic purges old posts.  (Which is really kind of a "duh" moment, but it didn't occur to me until I went looking for my cruise review from 2018 and it was poof - gone - like it never existed.  And yes, that's 4 years ago . . . but I've gotten used to thinking of the Internet as "forever."  So fair warning, posters - CC is not a travel blog.  😜)

We've cruised a few times before and NCL is our line of choice - after The Great Escape, DH and I will be 2 cruises away from Platinum.  We had fallen into a happy pattern of every-other-year cruises, until Covid derailed 2020's planned Alaskan getaway.  We took the children once, in 2010 - our cruises were our adult time, so we cruised alone or with my parents.  Cruising with Mom and Dad was both fun and frightening - Mom and Dad were fun traveling companions, nonplussed even when their SIL came back from a day in St Thomas wearing a 2 foot tall orange balloon p3nis hat, but Dad had a heart attack on our 2014 Getaway (well after the hat deflated), and on our 2016 YOLO Escape from 2015's sadness, (we lost Dad), Mom got sun poisoning.  Both disasters led me to declare that I would never take Mom anywhere that Medicare didn't cover, and that I myself would never leave the US without my passport, travel insurance, and a paid-off credit card.

We became empty nesters in 2019, sending DD (the baby) off to college, and since we didn't need 2 houses for 3 adults, we moved in together with Mom in the fall of 2020 - I don't know how we'd have handled Covid otherwise.  Since Dad passed, Mom has become fragile physically, so living together has been good.  Holidays, though, have been fraught; my brother passed unexpectedly in 2019 and after 2 years where the losses overshadowed Mom's enjoyment of the holidays, we have started distracting her with holiday travel.  (It's either that or cancel Christmas.)  And for 2022, I couldn't find a unicorn beach (Mom has Requirements), and I said, you know what?  We've already had the worst that could happen - TWICE - so I think we've paid our dues.  And voila, we are cruising.

Now, one of Mom's Requirements is the Haven - in 2014 she and Dad had a perfectly adequate balcony room, but for the YOLO cruise in 2016, we had a 2-room family villa in the Haven.  DH and I took the big bedroom, and she had the 2nd bedroom to herself, but has never let go of her distaste for "that hole" (the 2nd bedroom is a standard cruise room but a little smaller, while the big bedroom is all Haven luxury.  She never let the attendant make up the bed, so it was cramped.)  I'll take any kind of room as long as it's on a ship, but Mom needs the Haven, and she needs the butler and she needs breakfast in the room and she needs the space because crowds give her the heebie jeebies.  Since she has become less mobile, she also needs priority embarkation/debarkation and wheelchair assistance, and it is especially helpful if she can go straight to shows without having to stand in line.  (The older she gets, the less she waits - for anything or anyone.)  So, Haven is a non-starter for her, and since the goal of the cruise is family time, it is for us as well.

And who, exactly, is included in that "us"?  Well, there's Mom (a 70-something widow and former beauty queen from the 1960's, whom we affectionately call The Diva.  Don't get me wrong - she worked hard all her life, and ended her working years running successful political campaigns - she earned the title.)  There's myself and DH, basic working folks - I'm 52 and he's 56.  And for this trip, there are 2 of our 4 kids - DS25, fresh out of graduate school and working in the real world for the first time ever, and DD21, a senior in college.  We are a grab bag of interests and abilities - Mom has minor mobility issues and diabetes; I have celiac and need a GF diet; DH doesn't like beaches but loves bars; DS is an orchestral musician/teacher up for anything; and, DD is a history major who thinks she hates cruises (not the right decision to make based off one 4-day cruise when she was 8, but we shall see.)

So, I have my work cut out for me.  I have 2/3 of my loves going on what could either be a vacation to remember forever, or a colossal disaster.  I don't have my passport and there are 82 days until we leave.

• Like 5

The Basics, aka the easy stuff:

• The Itinerary:image.png.985f893c8d2a89fc712ca13af5483e82.png
  • The Cabin:  Haven 2 Bedroom family villa on deck 18, and I swear I think it's the same one we had in 2018.  I dithered over the location - the Escape Haven restaurant is on deck 18, so that's good for Mom, but the pool and bar and Haven entrance/exit are on deck 17, which is less good for Mom if she wants to do the pool or Haven spa.  I finally stuck with deck 18 because of noise - there will be folks in and out of the hallways and since Mom takes long naps, less noise is better.  She will take the elevator up and down, and the rest of us will do the stairs.
  • Who's sleeping where?  We have heard about it for 6 years now, so Mom is getting the big bedroom.  DD might sleep with her, depending; DH and I are going to take a look at the layout once aboard and decide whether we will be happy on the expanded bed in the small bedroom, or whether we want to take the couch in the living area and put DD and DS in the bunks in the small bedroom, or some other combination.  I thought about putting Mom on the couch bed, because she's irritated that she can't see the ocean from the big bedroom and the Deluxe Owner's Suite was already booked (thank GOD).  Mom flat refuses, but we shall see.  She seems to think she will get a chaise out on the balcony and sleep there, and that makes me laugh and laugh and lauuuuuugh. . . NO.  I have already told her that anybody who wants to is using the big shower, and DD has already laid claim to the tub.  (The shower in the 2 br Family Villa is HYOOGE - all tile, with multiple shower heads, and a floor to ceiling window for the outside wall.  There is also a full-size whirlpool tub with a window, perfect for a good sozzle and a glass of wine.  That villa is worth it for the bathroom; if push comes to shove, yours truly might just sleep in the dang tub.)
  • Getting There:  We are driving from home to Orlando, about 6 hours, and spending the night at a 3 BR condo about 10 minutes from the port.  The children might drive down a day early and spend the day at Epcot, but that's up to them - they are instructed to be at the condo by 9 that night, and that's that.  I liked the condo better than booking 2 hotel rooms, and you are not getting The Diva at an Econo Lodge - the condo was less expensive than the Holiday Inn I originally booked on Cocoa Beach.  Similarly, I started to rent an Expedition and put all 5 of us in it, but a) supply was low, and b) the kids are thinking about Epcot, and c) it's still less expensive to park 2 cars at the port for a week than to rent an Expedition AND park it for a week.
  • Covid:  It's the elephant on the ship, isn't it?  Everybody in the family is vaccinated and 3 of us are boosted; DH is double-boosted.  Mom and I are going next week for our 2nd booster (and my flu shot, possibly); DS is going to go get his, and DD can't because she got Covid about a month ago and is outside the booster window.  NCL has just this week removed the pre-embarkation testing requirement and masking requirements, so that is easier, but frankly, we're still going to mask - we've gone 2 years without getting the flu or Covid, and we aren't taking chances now.
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lady President said:

I have no advice, but one request. Please, please, please keep us updated on your vacation. I suspect it will be hilarious with a sprinkle of chaos! 🙂

We are afflicted with Chaos Goblins on a good day, that's for sure.  Will do - come along with us!  

• Haha 1

Um, double check that couch-bed scenario.....when we had a 2 bedroom on the Jewel, the couch did NOT make a bed, except for one.  Not a pull-out.  That was several years ago, so things may have changed since then, but you certainly don't need an EXTRA surprise on your trip!

Hope you have a GREAT time with ALL the family!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CruzinMel said:

So, this topic is mostly for me - although I will be careful to save it someplace else because (who knew!) after a couple of years, Cruise Critic purges old posts.  (Which is really kind of a "duh" moment, but it didn't occur to me until I went looking for my cruise review from 2018 and it was poof - gone - like it never existed.  And yes, that's 4 years ago . . . but I've gotten used to thinking of the Internet as "forever."  So fair warning, posters - CC is not a travel blog.  😜

Interesting. Out of curiosity, I went to the last oldest page on the NCL forum (page 7574), and the oldest thread was from 2004. So, I would think that a post from 2018 would still be on the site. 

36 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Um, double check that couch-bed scenario.....when we had a 2 bedroom on the Jewel, the couch did NOT make a bed, except for one.  Not a pull-out.  That was several years ago, so things may have changed since then, but you certainly don't need an EXTRA surprise on your trip!

Hope you have a GREAT time with ALL the family!

Thanks for the heads up!  When we were in the Haven before, we never tried to get the couch opened up - I shall have to ask!  If we *have* to, DH and I can sleep in the bottom bed and DS will go in the top bunk, but I can't tell you the last time we all shared a room.

36 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Interesting. Out of curiosity, I went to the last oldest page on the NCL forum (page 7574), and the oldest thread was from 2004. So, I would think that a post from 2018 would still be on the site. 

How weird!!!  Maybe I didn't look the right way?  I was looking under my profile for my comments.  I would LOVE to get my old review back!  Thanks.

We’re on this itinerary in December. It was originally me, Dh and DD in a 2 bedroom on 17 and mom next door. DH can’t come due to work (don’t get me started 🙄), so it’s just me and DD in the 2 bedroom! I spent the money we got back from DH’s fare on spa passes for us and the premium beverage upgrade! 🤣

• Like 3

Housekeeping, or, Where's my Passport??

I won't cruise without a passport, period.  I won't leave the country without a passport.

Sure, I know, on a closed loop cruise you don't have to get one, sure a passport card is an option, sure.  But Life is Strange, and you never know what is going to come at you, and one day your husband might have a heart attack on the Norwegian Getaway before it pulls into port in Nassau - you might go from waffles in the MDR to calling 911 on the ship's phone and the next thing you know, you and your husband will be off the ship, in a Bahamian hospital, where he's getting critical care.  And you will thank God that your child made you get passports for the cruise, because you REALLY want to get on that medical flight home to Atlanta and Emory.  True story.

So the minute I got done booking this cruise, I went hunting passports.  Of all the crazy things, Mom's was fine - she hasn't traveled anywhere but the Biltmore since our last cruise, but she's got a good passport.  DS was fine - he was in Luxembourg this summer for a music competition.  That left DH and myself (expired) and DD (none.)

Now, Covid has changed a lot of things, but some of them are improvements.  I was nervous, because at the height of Covid passports took forever (which is why I didn't renew mine sooner - I got hesitant because of the wait time, and then I just forgot.)  Turns out, the wait times are back to more normal for new passports - DD has already gotten hers in the works and processing.  I was paranoid and paid for expedited processing *and* priority mail return; $208 plus a $15 passport photo later, hers should come the first week in November. 

I sent DD to the Post Office rather than a Fedex or other processing facility, but I filled out the forms online in a PDF and printed them here.  The USPS has a Very Nice link to the passport website, and along with being very informative, the website has questions that will help you select the proper form and fees, and then direct you to the form itself.

The website also has instructions to renew your passport without appearing in person - even though our passports are expired, there is a new thing that lets you renew if your passport was originally issued less than x # of years ago (I forget the #, but it's very clear on the website, and we qualified.)  You can even take your own passport photo (there are rules and requirements for backgrounds, poses, etc), and then you print it all, package it up with your old passport and the photo and a check, and mail it off.

I'm not that lucky, and I'd have to go to the post office anyway to mail it off, so I'm paying the $15 to get my picture taken on Wednesday and then I will send mine and DH's off together, with correct postage, a good photo, legible forms, proper payment, and expedited return shipping.  DH, bless his heart, thought he could just waltz into the post office and get it all done; you have to schedule your appointments, but the kind folks at the USPS told him that even without expediting he'd have the passport before the cruise.  

But I'm expediting anyway.  Sure, we can still cruise without it. . . but nah.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

We’re on this itinerary in December. It was originally me, Dh and DD in a 2 bedroom on 17 and mom next door. DH can’t come due to work (don’t get me started 🙄), so it’s just me and DD in the 2 bedroom! I spent the money we got back from DH’s fare on spa passes for us and the premium beverage upgrade! 🤣

Oh, that's a bummer for him - I'm glad you guys can still go!  We're leaving on Dec 31 - maybe we have the same cruise?

I was thinking about spa passes, but every time I get them or have a spa cabin, I never go enough to justify it.  I want DD to have the whole experience, though, so I'm planning on a day pass for us.  Mom insists she MUST have a massage, so I will book her on one of the days that the rest of us are away on an excursion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruzinMel said:

Oh, that's a bummer for him - I'm glad you guys can still go!  We're leaving on Dec 31 - maybe we have the same cruise?

I was thinking about spa passes, but every time I get them or have a spa cabin, I never go enough to justify it.  I want DD to have the whole experience, though, so I'm planning on a day pass for us.  Mom insists she MUST have a massage, so I will book her on one of the days that the rest of us are away on an excursion.

We’re the 17-24th. My DD is 18 now and has always wanted to try the spa, so there was that refund just sitting there, begging to be spent!  We’ll go in the evenings after dinner, as we don’t generally go to shows. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

We’re the 17-24th. My DD is 18 now and has always wanted to try the spa, so there was that refund just sitting there, begging to be spent!  We’ll go in the evenings after dinner, as we don’t generally go to shows. 

That sounds absolutely wonderful. . . evenings in the spa!!!  I can't think of anything more relaxing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruzinMel said:

How weird!!!  Maybe I didn't look the right way?  I was looking under my profile for my comments.  I would LOVE to get my old review back!  Thanks.

You can sort the forum in different ways. To sort by “Topics I started”, click on Custom sort, then filter to find the threads you started. Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

You can sort the forum in different ways. To sort by “Topics I started”, click on Custom sort, then filter to find the threads you started. Hope that helps. 

Candy, you are my hero - that worked!!!!  Thank you so much!  🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruzinMel said:

Also, many thanks to Candy, because I have read my last review and realized 3 things:

1. I hated Escape the last time, mainly because nobody in my group but me wanted to leave the Haven and I didn't enjoy the food;
  2. We are staying in almost the same room but not quite;
  3. Mom didn't do a whole lot on that cruise, 6 years ago; I think all the things I'm worrying over might not be issues after all.  (Now watch me be wrong.)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

You’re welcome! You had me a bit worried about losing my own recent trip report (which I really need to finish) even though I plan to keep it in “the cloud”. I’m glad you found yours. 

Edited by Candy Apple 12
  • Like 2

Looking forward to your review! I think it's awesome that your mom is going with you, and it sounds like you're going to come away with some good stories.

Regarding sleeping arrangements, we were in the Haven 2 BR on Escape back in 2018, and were in a Getaway Haven 2 BR last month; that couch in the living definitely only sleeps one.

The suite sleeps 6 in the following configuration:

• 2 in the master bed (which does not separate)
  • 2 in the second bedroom's pull-out couch
  • 1 in the second bedroom's Pullman bed (comes down from the ceiling)
  • 1 in the living room bunk

The lower bunk in the second bedroom is a bit cozy for two. When she sees it in real life, your mom might be more amenable to the living room couch bed, since it has the ocean view and is right next to the balcony; she could even sleep with the balcony door open. The rest of the cabin has separate A/C zones, so with the master and second bedroom doors closed, it might work...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I love this.  Sorry you can't make it on the cruise honey, but to make up for it DD and I are going to get pampered and when not getting pampered we'll be getting drunk on the good stuff.    😉

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that this is the thread that my good buddy @CptAleSpillwas referring to:

Oh, holy cow, this was the best review ever!!!  Thank you for sharing because a), I want to cruise with her, and b) she's such a good daughter, and c), I don't think Mom is looking for a boyfriend but if she were and the poster's Dad were available, they'd either drive each other insane or get along like peas and carrots.  I laughed so hard at her Dad circling the typos in the Dailies that DH thought I was nuts.  (And then he also said that I always tell him about typos, so that's really just me in about 30 years.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, dcipjr said:

Looking forward to your review! I think it's awesome that your mom is going with you, and it sounds like you're going to come away with some good stories.

Regarding sleeping arrangements, we were in the Haven 2 BR on Escape back in 2018, and were in a Getaway Haven 2 BR last month; that couch in the living definitely only sleeps one.

The suite sleeps 6 in the following configuration:

• 2 in the master bed (which does not separate)
  • 2 in the second bedroom's pull-out couch
  • 1 in the second bedroom's Pullman bed (comes down from the ceiling)
  • 1 in the living room bunk

The lower bunk in the second bedroom is a bit cozy for two. When she sees it in real life, your mom might be more amenable to the living room couch bed, since it has the ocean view and is right next to the balcony; she could even sleep with the balcony door open. The rest of the cabin has separate A/C zones, so with the master and second bedroom doors closed, it might work...

Thanks so much for this - it's exactly what I needed.  I'd already started wondering how DH and I were going to manage getting in and out of the second bed - we are at that stage of midlife where one's bladder does not sleep nearly as well as one would wish, so we're tag-teaming bathroom trips at least once a night.  Also, we are. . . well, I am Voluptuous and he is Very Manly.  He already sleeps so lightly that he could hear a mouse break wind behind the wall at 3 in the morning, so me climbing over him probably wouldn't work.

Hmm.  I might make the small bedroom a Man Cave and take that couch bed FOR MAHSELF!  At least until Mom decides that's the one she wants, and then DH and I will just have to sacrifice and room together.  Sigh.  The sacrifices I make for my family. . .  😉

Edited by CruzinMel
Added a line
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3