Covid on board

FLcruiser2011

4 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

When we visited Moorea today, we were told a Princess ship was turned away a few days ago because of more than 100 cases of Covid on board.

Anyone on that ship?  What's the situation?

In case you do not read the link in the previous post. The Majestic Princess was NOT turned away. We arrived Tahiti on Thursday afternoon instead of Thursday morning as scheduled and we were informed a few days earlier about the delay but would be staying an extra overnight and not leave till Saturday afternoon about 5pm.

Friday morning we were informed about 7:30am, suspension of leaving the ship was implemented and discussion with the Tahitian authorities was scheduled. By 9am, we were given the all clear that passengers could leave the ship to explore as usual, so, yes for a little while, we were concerned.

The official number of Covid cases has not been shared, but I know of a couple passengers who have tested positive and were quarantined and were released from quarantine when they tested negative after 5 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

A little more info, on Thursday morning, before arriving Tahiti, all passengers had to ‘test’ . I assume the Tahitian authorities were informed of the number of active Covid already on board and if any additional passengers tested positive Thursday  morning. 

Princess has you ‘self’ test in your cabin, with tests provided by Princess, no other comments needed, as I can read your mind. You write down passengers name, date and time test was taken, and with phone or tablet, take picture to show your steward and then you are free to go about your business if negative

After docking, no other announcements were made and passengers were allowed to go ashore. 

It was the next morning, that Tahiti had a change of heart? If they were concerned about the spread of Covid, they already knew the numbers reported from the ship and passengers already flooded their streets the previous day and night. No additional testing was performed, so there was rumor this was a money grab/negotiation tactic by Tahiti. 

I did notice on day2 when were we allowed to go ashore, there were Tahiti personnel checking to make sure passengers were not taking any food items, fruits , etc. off the ship. This was the only change from day1 arrival.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, wallyj said:

A little more info, on Thursday morning, before arriving Tahiti, all passengers had to ‘test’ . I assume the Tahitian authorities were informed of the number of active Covid already on board and if any additional passengers tested positive Thursday  morning. 

Princess has you ‘self’ test in your cabin, with tests provided by Princess, no other comments needed, as I can read your mind. You write down passengers name, date and time test was taken, and with phone or tablet, take picture to show your steward and then you are free to go about your business if negative

After docking, no other announcements were made and passengers were allowed to go ashore. 

It was the next morning, that Tahiti had a change of heart? If they were concerned about the spread of Covid, they already knew the numbers reported from the ship and passengers already flooded their streets the previous day and night. No additional testing was performed, so there was rumor this was a money grab/negotiation tactic by Tahiti. 

I did notice on day2 when were we allowed to go ashore, there were Tahiti personnel checking to make sure passengers were not taking any food items, fruits , etc. off the ship. This was the only change from day1 arrival.

We were on the Majestic Princess also.

The passengers were informed by the Captain that mask wearing was mandatory onshore. The Tahitian Heath Authorities required this. Most locals didn’t wear masks inside markets or stores.

The 116 pax. that tested positive were in quarantine. 

10 hours ago, wallyj said:

Thank you for this information. Very helpful, although I have one question: are you saying you take a picture of your test to show the cabin steward?  If so, that seems like an odd and unnecessary step when they could, presumably, simply have passengers show the actual test to their cabin steward.  Just curious.

Thanks again, and I hope you have a great cruise. French Polynesia was one of my very favorite cruises, on the old Tahitian Princess. ❤️

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

My guess the reason they want you to take picture is if they need to see again or document and for the safety of the cabin steward if you are positive so they do not need to enter your cabin where floating virus could be present. 

• Like 1