Getaway Haven 2 BR suite question

DaisyGoldberg

Unfortunately, videos of these suites don't show what I'm looking for. Is there a step between the master bedroom and its bathroom? 

My mom uses a walker and we've stayed in multiple 2 bedrooms on various ships, including in Havens, and there has never been a step into the bathroom from the master. However, the accessibility document triggered by applying for wheelchair assistance to board the ship indicates steps entering BOTH bathrooms. 

I can tell from one video that there is no step up from the living room, but there are no angles in any films or stills I've seen that show the transition between master bedroom and bathroom. 

We'll cope, however it turns out, but I'd rather not worry about it if the letter is mistaken and it's one level on the master side of the suite.

Thanks!

We just got off the Breakaway . We were on the Getaway last February . Both cruises were in the two bedroom Haven family suite . If they are identical and I think they are, for sure there is no step going from the master past the curtain ( no door, so no door jam) into the bathroom. However, the space between the end of the bed and the closets is very narrow.  I believe that there is a small step up into the tiny second bathroom. But I’m not positive 

23 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We just got off the Breakaway . We were on the Getaway last February . Both cruises were in the two bedroom Haven family suite . If they are identical and I think they are, for sure there is no step going from the master past the curtain ( no door, so no door jam) into the bathroom. However, the space between the end of the bed and the closets is very narrow.  I believe that there is a small step up into the tiny second bathroom. But I’m not positive 

Pretty sure there is no step.  There is a drain in the floor behind the toilet.  They would want drainage to go there rather than down a step in to the bedroom.  

4 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Pretty sure there is no step.  There is a drain in the floor behind the toilet.  They would want drainage to go there rather than down a step in to the bedroom.  

A "drain in the floor behind the toilet" could easily still be where any extra liquid drains, even if the entire bathroom floor is elevated a couple of inches.

All it would take is for the floor in the little bathroom to be slightly sloped such that any liquid would go towards that drain... the same as if the floor were not elevated at all.

GC

On 10/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, DaisyGoldberg said:

Unfortunately, videos of these suites don't show what I'm looking for. Is there a step between the master bedroom and its bathroom? 

My mom uses a walker and we've stayed in multiple 2 bedrooms on various ships, including in Havens, and there has never been a step into the bathroom from the master. However, the accessibility document triggered by applying for wheelchair assistance to board the ship indicates steps entering BOTH bathrooms. 

I can tell from one video that there is no step up from the living room, but there are no angles in any films or stills I've seen that show the transition between master bedroom and bathroom. 

We'll cope, however it turns out, but I'd rather not worry about it if the letter is mistaken and it's one level on the master side of the suite.

Thanks!

We were just on the Breakaway, sister to the Getaway. 

No step into the bathroom from the bedroom
62E14D34-2F2F-4DEA-8B82-66496E4FE42A.thumb.jpeg.e946b41c29d504713f985d3c09860693.jpeg

No step into the toilet

716B5369-4E9E-4E22-A83A-AAB3AD60C28B.thumb.jpeg.2585383ac74724873332c66d3be5ec44.jpeg

Step into the shower

DA4B4B0E-9D32-4689-AC97-224F2C956B2B.thumb.jpeg.16bf6a21fac00c15a6550a9b87ecf844.jpeg

Second bedroom, which I would say is not wheelchair accessible, has a step into the bathroom (look at the door at the end of the room). I don’t have a photo of the actual entrance into the second bathroom shower, but I am 100% sure that there is a step there. 

6407DEE7-7F52-4EDF-8D06-C7B49F2FBED9.thumb.jpeg.924b2263a61a42d0f29d88a3f4f2fa0a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, DaisyGoldberg said:

Just got off Breakaway (identical to Getaway) 2 weeks ago and stayed in the 2BR. I'll leave a few thoughts here about accessibility with a walker:

• There is no step between the master bedroom and bathroom. There is a pretty wide threshold drain that is very slightly raised - maybe a quarter inch. 

• No step or other impediment into the toilet area.

• Moderate sized step into the master bath shower - probably 3 inches or so.

• There is a narrow raised metal threshold that is maybe half an inch tall between the living room and master bedroom (where the pocket door is). It's not a drain here so it's a solid piece but it is raised so that could impede a walker with small wheels. 

• Also, the doorway between the living room and master is quite narrow. Much narrower than a standard doorway in a US home. That could also be an issue for a walker if the walker is wide. I'm not a big guy but it felt like a snug fit going in and out of the bedroom.

• There is a step (about 4-5 inches tall) into the small bathroom from the small bedroom. 

Just trying to provide some helpful info, not trying to discourage you from going!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the very helpful and detailed responses - very kind!

Mom's pretty mobile and can take a few steps without the walker if necessary, especially from the doorway to the bed which does seem very close!  She could even manage the step, but we'd rest easier in the night if she didn't have to.

I'll be in the second bedroom, so no issues with a step there. 

The metal threshold/drain looking things remind me of when I was in a Haven courtyard room once and my toilet overflowed (flushed normally, but then kept filling and filling and filling....). So it was clean water, but overflowing. I threw down my towels, called somebody to notify plumbing, then went in the hall because housekeeping was always there and maybe they could help. No sign of anybody (learned later that this was JUST when they were having some kind of meeting). Grabbed a bunch of towels and ran back in.

Eventually a series of escalating staff and officers showed up. The problem was in the wall outside my room and it took a few hours to fix, then they set up fans to dry the carpet, because the water was coming out faster than the bathroom drain could handle. Would have been worse without the 20 towels I put down! 

Was impressed with the officer oversight. We've had engineering to the room for one thing or another over the years, but this clearly was something that went right up the command chain. 

Hi all,

Thank you for asking the question and everyone who has answered.  
I could be in a similar situation as my dad uses his walker indoor, however, my dad and I will be staying in the 2nd bedroom and mom and sister will stay in the big room instead.  Just wondering if anyone has pictures of the fully expanded (if possible) or made up bed from the second bedroom?  How big is the second bed?   I know there’s a drop down bed from the ceiling but with my dad’s condition I prefer sleeping near him in case he gets up during the night.  If the bed is big enough to sleep two.   Comfortable or not it’s not the issue for me.   Thank you in advance.  

Edited by wants2fly
Correction

14 hours ago, wants2fly said:

How big is the second bed?

It can be made into either a twin or pulled out into a full size bed. The drawback of the full is that by pulling out the bed it takes up the walking space in the small bedroom. It leaves only a narrow aisle between the bed and the dresser for getting around. It even impedes the bathroom door from opening fully. So pulling the bed out to a full size may not be ideal for someone with mobility issues. 

In full size mode it's a cozy bed for two people, especially if you're used to a queen or king at home. And it's against the wall so the person sleeping on the wall side has to climb over the other person to get in and out.

image.thumb.jpeg.58e550befefcc5c945cd1b4ea72a7b1b.jpeg

This is the couch turned into a full size bed with two mattress toppers (you can see the indents beneath the sheets). We kept the bed down all week, which did make it a little tight in the room and prohibited the bathroom door from opening completely. Not the most comfortable bed in the world, but gets the job done. 🙂 

@cruisin4familyfun Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.  I wonder if we can sleep vertically  instead of horizontally from the picture if you know what I mean.  I know we can not sleep standing up.  Lol.

I want to give my dad the closest and fastest side to the restroom and he’s not tall so we might just sleep on the short side of the beds.  
‘Don’t know why my reply posts didn’t show from earlier.  Thanks again.