Holland Trip insurance and Covid quarantine cabins questions, Eurodam.

Midwest Sunseeker

We are getting ready to book the November 20 cruise on the Eurodam.  Do you recommend buying the travel insurance with Holland at the time of booking or do you recommend buying from another company?  What is your experience?  We are also trying do decide on a cabin choice.  If we get Covid will we be allowed to stay in our cabin or moved to a smaller Covid cabin in a Covid area of the ship?  Thank you for your help and information. 

The medical and repatriation coverage from Holland America is not sufficient for an out of the country trip IMHO.  What Holland America trip coverage does do is let you cancel your trip for any reason and get 90% of your cost back for the platinum plan. If you have issues during the trip you will get $$. back.  If you purchase private travel  insurance w/in 14 days of your first payment you can buy any of the travel insurance plans offered by private companies and determine the amount of coverage you need.  Sorry I can't answer any of your Covid questions. Not sure if cruise critic will let me post this but we use a site that has a square mouth to get our quotes.  

To add to what @tupper10 just posted, medical and evacuation coverage isn't adequate under HAL's policies IMO.  I purchase 3rd party insurance.  A good place to start is Insure My Trip where you can compare policies.  Purchasing a private policy within 14 days of booking will also cover pre-existing conditions. 

• Like 1

In terms of your question about cabin choice and covid, we are now seeing passengers staying in their rooms.  That does not necessarily mean all passengers, but I believe with the higher covid counts that have been reported on this forum, there are not enough excess rooms for all passengers and crew that need to be quarantined.  Some passengers could be moved and some will stay in their stateroom. This will definitely go into what I choose for a stateroom for my next voyage.  

We are currently on the NS and my husband tested positive for Covid two days ago.   I’ll summarize our experience for the information of others making decisions.  

We brought our own Covid tests with us. My husband woke up day 8 of our 28 day cruise with symptoms, so we tested ourselves. He was positive and I was negative.  We contacted ship’s medical and they sent a nurse up to retest us with the same results.  Husband has to quarantine for five days and get retested the 6 th day.  I have to retest on day 2 ( tomorrow).  We have a balcony cabin so we are allowed to stay in our original cabin.  I do not know if we were in an inside whether or not they had a vacant balcony room to put us in.  
I am allowed to go anywhere I want on the ship wearing a mask , they did ask that I eat inside our cabin.  
T his morning  I saw the nurse entering a room down the hall from us to test someone else.  She passed me saying “busy,busy” 

We took HALs platinum insurance for this cruise. We had always self insured the cost of our cruises and had a year long GeoBlue policy for medical coverage as we traveled internationally an average of 120 days per year. 
On our 3 cruises since Covid we have taken the HAL insurance, mainly so we could cancel at the last minute.  So far we have been happy with the HAL response to my husband being positive.  We have already received paperwork about getting cruise credits for his days in quarantine as well as paperwork for his recovery if we need that for travel home.  
I am just hoping I remain negative. We don’t have room to isolate from each other in a cabin.  
The ship is full. Crowds lined up for the dining room and full theater 20 minutes before show time.  One thing I have noticed is there is no one telling you to wash your hands before you enter the lido or asking you to use hand sanitizer before entering the dining room, this was routine before Covid.  
HAL did not put a red dot on our door so walking the halls you can’t tell how many rooms are quarantined. 
We have had all five vaccine shots and are 65 with good health. Neither of us has had Covid to our knowledge before.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, travelbug615 said:

We are currently on the NS and my husband tested positive for Covid two days ago.   I’ll summarize our experience for the information of others making decisions.  

We brought our own Covid tests with us. My husband woke up day 8 of our 28 day cruise with symptoms, so we tested ourselves. He was positive and I was negative.  We contacted ship’s medical and they sent a nurse up to retest us with the same results.  Husband has to quarantine for five days and get retested the 6 th day.  I have to retest on day 2 ( tomorrow).  We have a balcony cabin so we are allowed to stay in our original cabin.  I do not know if we were in an inside whether or not they had a vacant balcony room to put us in.  
I am allowed to go anywhere I want on the ship wearing a mask , they did ask that I eat inside our cabin.  
T his morning  I saw the nurse entering a room down the hall from us to test someone else.  She passed me saying “busy,busy” 

We took HALs platinum insurance for this cruise. We had always self insured the cost of our cruises and had a year long GeoBlue policy for medical coverage as we traveled internationally an average of 120 days per year. 
On our 3 cruises since Covid we have taken the HAL insurance, mainly so we could cancel at the last minute.  So far we have been happy with the HAL response to my husband being positive.  We have already received paperwork about getting cruise credits for his days in quarantine as well as paperwork for his recovery if we need that for travel home.  
I am just hoping I remain negative. We don’t have room to isolate from each other in a cabin.  
The ship is full. Crowds lined up for the dining room and full theater 20 minutes before show time.  One thing I have noticed is there is no one telling you to wash your hands before you enter the lido or asking you to use hand sanitizer before entering the dining room, this was routine before Covid.  
HAL did not put a red dot on our door so walking the halls you can’t tell how many rooms are quarantined. 
We have had all five vaccine shots and are 65 with good health. Neither of us has had Covid to our knowledge before.  

====

Interesting that they allow you to go out with a mask.    When I opted to quarantine in August with Harry who had Covid they did not say that I could go out with a mask when I tested negative.   Would have been much better if I could have gone out and pick out items we wanted to eat.  We were in Neptune Suite!   Eurodam tested me every day and I tested positive on the fourth day.

Peter

5 hours ago, tupper10 said:

The medical and repatriation coverage from Holland America is not sufficient for an out of the country trip IMHO. 

However, you can purchase the HAL plan, and then purchase a separate medical and repatriation only policy. 
It's wise to compare the price of the HAL plus the separate policy (determining what else you may be giving up, too) compared to a full coverage policy without the HAL plan. 

• Like 1