Safety outside of the Fort Street Tourism Village???

LindaO

It has been a few years since I've been to the beautiful Belize City.   Last time we were there we walked to the Post Office with no trouble (My sister and I are both in our 60s)   Her husband, who doesn't like to cruise, is a serious stamp collector.   We have walked to the post office from the port (about a 15 minute walk) without any problems before.   It is a walk up N Front Street and The Swing Bridge is appx half way along the walk.   I've seen warnings on some sites to not leave the port area on foot.   Also some US Government warnings of increased personal crimes against tourists.   They mention the south part of the city.   We really have little fear walking in most Caribbean ports, but these warnings are giving us some pause, wondering if we should venture to the Post Office on our upcoming trip, by foot.   We could take a taxi, but rather do enjoy walking.   Anyone have any information about this section of Belieze?   Any information or suggeations are welcome.   Thanks for your help!!! 

There are sections of Belize City where you would probably not feel safe, but those aren't near the Tourism Village or the swing bridge.  Since Belize is a working city, and you're there during the daylight hours, walking over the swing bridge and down Albert Street to the church and Cultural Museum (old Governors' house) is mostly shops and business buildings.  Walking up and down Marine Parade by the lighthouse and Belize sign and some hotels and a couple of museums is fairly wide open with foot traffic.  Really nothing much to see west of Queen Street (swing bridge) or south of the church.  So not really a destination for tourists.

Adding, most of the reports from cruisers and cruise ships warning of safety are referring to the somewhat aggressive excursion hawkers just outside the Tourism Village.  But walk a block past or cross to the flea market and they'll leave you alone.