The Baths or JVD

luvsun22

We have a stop here on the Celebrity Millennium next February and we’re trying to decide where to spend our day. We’ve never been to the BVI and both places look wonderful! Any thoughts on which to choose for a first time visitor.  We often choose active excursions, but also love a beach day with good food a drinks.

I’d also appreciate any recommendations who to book with other than the cruise line.

Also open to suggestions for anything else we might consider! 

Edited by luvsun22

I have been to JVD and it is a super relaxing beach day. The soggy dollar bar has some tasty drinks and the views from the beach are some of the most beautiful I have seen. Not sure about food options at JVD though.

Nice longer day in port, many who cruise on NCL have a very limited time here…
I often recommend the Baths to folks who have at least 10 hours in port, simply because that can give you enough time to avoid the larger groups going from your ship. If you go on your own you can hook up with a taxi driver at the marina and have him/her help you coordinate stops at Savannah Bay, the Top of the Baths, and a lunch spot. You can also rent a car, but taxi fares are reasonable in the Valley and that would be a better choice for a short day visit.

Jost is mainly a beach/beach bar day, so you could taxi/ferry there on your own, and still have some time to see Tortola.

Tortola is a beautiful island, with magnificent island views from the mountaintop, gorgeous beaches, and wonderful people. Many miss the beauty of Tortola because they head straight to the Baths or to White Bay and the Soggy $ Bar.

Another option is an independent catamaran daysail, private or shared. Most charters (Aristocat, Kuralu, Patouche for example) offer excursions to Jost and Sandy Spit, or to the east with snorkeling at Norman Island Caves and a stop at the Bight, Cooper island, or Peter Island. 

Anything sound like you?

On 10/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, blue_water said:

I often recommend the Baths to folks who have at least 10 hours in port, simply because that can give you enough time to avoid the larger groups going from your ship. If you go on your own you can hook up with a taxi driver at the marina and have him/her help you coordinate stops at Savannah Bay, the Top of the Baths, and a lunch spot. You can also rent a car, but taxi fares are reasonable in the Valley and that would be a better choice for a short day visit.

Jost is mainly a beach/beach bar day, so you could taxi/ferry there on your own, and still have some time to see Tortola.

Tortola is a beautiful island, with magnificent island views from the mountaintop, gorgeous beaches, and wonderful people. Many miss the beauty of Tortola because they head straight to the Baths or to White Bay and the Soggy $ Bar.

Another option is an independent catamaran daysail, private or shared. Most charters (Aristocat, Kuralu, Patouche for example) offer excursions to Jost and Sandy Spit, or to the east with snorkeling at Norman Island Caves and a stop at the Bight, Cooper island, or Peter Island. 

Anything sound like you?

Thank you for the detailed response. I’m leaning toward going to the Baths, although until I started researching what to do I didn’t realize that they are not on Tortola and never having been, an island tour also sounds beautiful. I’ll have to discuss with my husband and the other couple traveling with us.  

If we go to the Baths on our own do we take a ferry over, then get a taxi? Any way to set it all up prior to arrival? 

Also, I realized I somehow got the date and time wrong! Not sure how I managed that. We’ll be there on the Celebrity Millennium Sunday,  2/12/23 from 8 am - 5 pm.

Yes, if you decide to go to the Baths, either on your own or on a ship excursion, you take a 30 minute ferry to the Spanishtown marina on Virgin Gorda. There are taxis waiting to take folks to the Top of the Baths, you walk a trail from there down to the beach and the Baths.

Last time we stayed on Tortola we ferried over and negotiated with one of the drivers to drop us at a couple different spots and return for us. He had a 4 or 5 passenger taxi and was happy to work with us. There was a cruise ship in port so we went to a couple other spots until the Baths cleared out a bit. It gets very congested when the ship tours are there…

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, blue_water said:

Anything sound like you?

What would you recommend for a real short day - we only have until 1pm...