Best things to do and see on a DIY walking tour in Puerto Vallarta

Eight_Paws

Hello all --

If you're like me and just want to explore a cruise port rather than take a shore excursion, then you'll want to read my new post around all the great things to see in Puerto Vallarta.  This vibrant city has a spectacular oceanfront promenade (Malecón), vibrant public art, and of course the gorgeous Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe (the church with a crown!)

Best Things to Do in Puerto Vallarta: A Fun DIY Walking Tour

Happy Travels!

Lisa

Vibrant mosaic benches in Parque Lázaro CárdenasChurch of Our Lady of GuadalupeTriton and Siren

Your post makes it easy for me to understand why we adopted PV as our winter home over 16 years ago.  Your first picture is an example of the interaction between expat and local community and the spirit of volunteerism that permeates the PV culture.  The tile work on that bench was primarily done by volunteers who actually donated not only their time, but their money to tile quite a few places around the park in the Romantic Zone.  The Americans/Canadians (and some Europeans) that call PV "home" for part or all of the year are involved in many local projects including the support of orphanages, strong support of the local art community. etc.  Unlike some communities around the world, most in PV embrace and welcome cruisers.  Many of us discovered PV while on a cruise and now watch the ships come and go from our balconies :).

Hank

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Your post makes it easy for me to understand why we adopted PV as our winter home over 16 years ago.  Your first picture is an example of the interaction between expat and local community and the spirit of volunteerism that permeates the PV culture.  The tile work on that bench was primarily done by volunteers who actually donated not only their time, but their money to tile quite a few places around the park in the Romantic Zone.  The Americans/Canadians (and some Europeans) that call PV "home" for part or all of the year are involved in many local projects including the support of orphanages, strong support of the local art community. etc.  Unlike some communities around the world, most in PV embrace and welcome cruisers.  Many of us discovered PV while on a cruise and now watch the ships come and go from our balconies :).

Hank

Thanks so much, Hank!  I didn't know that the mosaic benches were largely volunteer driven.  What a great project for beautification and civic pride and spirit!

Lisa

5 hours ago, Eight_Paws said:

Thanks so much, Hank!  I didn't know that the mosaic benches were largely volunteer driven.  What a great project for beautification and civic pride and spirit!

Lisa

The benches (which are in Lazaro Cardenas Park)  were only one small part of the effort.   There is also an entire wall (I think it is along Pino Suarez) which has lots of tiled mosaics.  It is an ongoing effort to make our part of town more attractive and fits with the "arty" atmosphere you will find thoughout PV whether it be the excellent statutes along the Malecon or the various Art Walks we have (on some evenings) which are not enjoyed by cruisers unless they are in port until very late (i.e. 11pm++.  

DW and I like to tell folks that when we chose it to be our winter home (nearly 17 years ago) we could have opted to live our winters almost anywhere in the world!  Having traveled around much of the world we decided that PV was a good fit and we have never regretted our decision or had any desire to live elsewhere.  That being said, the state of things in Mexico and PV is certainly of some concern and the situation could change very quickly if our regional cartel (Nuevo Generacion) decided to cause difficulties in our city.  But until now, the cartel has not been a problem for normal tourists/expats in PV.   DW and I take fantastic cruises/trips all over the world, but the day we return to PV is perhaps the most special day of the year.

Hank

• Like 2