Excursion sign up

barcrab

We are new to Viking and are due to sign up for excursions on Wednesday. The Viking representative advised we will have to re enter our credit card information periodically in the sign up process and that Viking cannot store credit card information. Please advise simple process for sign up. We are on South America 17 night cruise.

thank you!

We picked all our paid excursions on MVJ which put them in our cart & checked out paying for them all at once. The only reason to pay for each one separately and have to re-enter your credit card information is if you are worried about a particular excursion selling out. For example, some excursions on our cruise say two seats left, I might pick those and pay for them right away. We did all our paid for excursions & them went back & reserved the included ones which does not require a credit card.

Don’t let the pain of having to re-enter your credit card keep you from doing the optional excursions one by one in order of importance. My computer has the number stored so it’s easy to paste as needed. You very well might miss out on an optional excursion by putting them into your cart all at once.

• Like 1

You can also pay for excursions via E check. My banking info is saved under Payment methods, and I didn’t have to re-enter that number when I booked excursions last summer. You save 3.3% also. Sorry, I don’t remember the specifics of navigating to the payment method…I booked in the middle of the night as I noticed excursion selection opened at midnight…not the advertised noon PST.  Last summer several posters reported that excursions weren’t available at the designated time, some opened sooner, some later. Be aware, and check often! 

• Like 4

Ya, our TA just mentioned the 3.3% savings if payment is direct (no credit card), that's a chunk of change on a 15 day cruise down payment and final payment!  I'm new here but haven't seen that mentioned before, maybe it's new. 

Edited by rmalbers

I always book my most important optional excursion first then go pay for it , then return to MJV list of excursion  and book the next most important excursions for me and then the  included ones. But if they are full , check back before  your cruise on MVJ may times they open up. If all else fails ,go to guest relation on first day on board,  book any you missed or get on a wait list. I have always gotten the ones I wanted in the end. 

Enjoy your cruise. It sounds  wonderful , 17 days !

2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Ya, our TA just mentioned the 3.3% savings if payment is direct (no credit card), that's a chunk of change on a 15 day cruise down payment and final payment!  I'm new here but haven't seen that mentioned before, maybe it's new. 

This has been standard, at least for a few years. If you go to My Viking Journey, "Payments and Cart" tab, then "Payment Methods" it is  listed there. 

6 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Yes, the 3.3% is a significant saving, but you also need to compare benefits received from your credit card. When I compared them, for travel rewards, we could get double the flights from the Visa points, over paying for flights from the cash saved.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Yes, the 3.3% is a significant saving, but you also need to compare benefits received from your credit card. When I compared them, for travel rewards, we could get double the flights from the Visa points, over paying for flights from the cash saved.

And now we have the dual joy of companies being able to charge the credit card premium on top of the bill, as well as Air Canada slowly reducing the value of reward points. 👿 Eternal vigilance and more number crunching required! 🍺🥌